Sponsored

2015 Mustang interior: Gauge, Instrument Cluster, Center Console Pic!!

Zquez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT, 2019 5.0
Which car is this from?

It's a little bland looking but a good solution. Prob is where would that middle display go?
That cluster is from a BR-Z/FRS

While functional, it is a little boring. If you replaced the gauges on the sides of the tach with displays like the rest of Ford 's lineup you would have a winner.

From the Fusion

Of course I'm sure that if it was like that, we wouldn't hear the end of it. "Oh look, a fusion coupe. Even the gauges are similar."
Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
There are a number of items that can be displayed in the screen between the gauge pods of the current Mustang. A digital speed display would be a great option.

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
Works in the 458 ;)

Ironically I remember a Top Gear episode where Clarkson took issue with the fact that you can have Nav OR Speedo on the right screen but not both at once. Guess even $230,000 supercars have issues...

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I think this thread has gotten way off topic and should be split into a different thread...

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't say WAY off topic...
The topic is "2015 Mustang interior: Gauge, Instrument Cluster, Center Console Pic!!"
I thought we were all commenting on likes and dislikes from what we can see, as well as what we'd like to see from Ford in future models? Only so much to comment on those shots until more is revealed of the actual production car.

Sponsored

BenH

That cluster is from a BR-Z/FRS

While functional, it is a little boring. If you replaced the gauges on the sides of the tach with displays like the rest of Ford 's lineup you would have a winner.

From the Fusion

Of course I'm sure that if it was like that, we wouldn't hear the end of it. "Oh look, a fusion coupe. Even the gauges are similar."
Hah you're right about that last part. We sure would hear that.

Some people don't care to understand the economics of this. They just want the Mustang to have unique EVERYTHING even though it's currently in the bottom half in Ford sales numbers by vehicle.

Looking at these pics, I'm amazed they can even afford to make it this nice. I think Ford knows it's taking a gamble on the Mustang overseas and it better pay off if it wants to survive. IMO, if they can just match the Fusion in interior quality it will do just fine.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I think the gauges will be pretty similar to what we have now. The "twin barrel" design (for lack of a better description) fits the mustang really well imho.

I don't really understand why people hate the idea of the Mustang getting the same design DNA as the Fusion. Ford has been telling us for a long time that the design language in all of their cars was going to come together like this. Also, the fusion has won awards for its design and is critically acclaimed. Why is it so bad to use such a popular design on the mustang? As long as it looks aggressive and contains Mustang styling cues, what does it matter?

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
I don't really understand why people hate the idea of the Mustang getting the same design DNA as the Fusion. Ford has been telling us for a long time that the design language in all of their cars was going to come together like this. Also, the fusion has won awards for its design and is critically acclaimed. Why is it so bad to use such a popular design on the mustang? As long as it looks aggressive and contains Mustang styling cues, what does it matter?
I think for a lot of guys it signals yet another aspect of what has always been a buy it and modify it type of car turning into "here's another integrated, computerized, shared piece of technology that not only you may not like, but that you can't change either"
Used to be if you didn't like the gauges, fine. swap them out for something you DO like. Now with everything tied together and integrated there's no changing any of it. Perfect example is almost 5 years later and there is still no REAL option for something as simple as aftermarket Nav /Entertainment that looks factory (same screen location, correct climate controls etc...) for the base model 2011-2014's.
Mustang has always been a car to buy and personalize but with every new generation that becomes tougher to do without a degree in computers.
That being said, if it's laid out with some forethought and works the way it's supposed to, I'm totally fine with it ;)

Prodigy

Regardless of what is stopping them, capacitive buttons are a huge source of complaint. The lack of feel, and the distraction they cause will be a thorn in an automaker's side well before archaic buttons that work correctly.

The challenge for Ford is making a center stack that is clean, uncluttered, AND works. The latter won't happen with capacitive buttons.

The bigger problem is that people want so much tech crap on their cars these days -- the more junk you add, the more buttons, touch screens, switches, knobs, and crap you get. I mean come on, 18 buttons on the STEERING WHEEL.
Are those even considered capacitive touch buttons? Well maybe they are and just have some physical indentation so you can "feel" it without looking. Regardless, I don't think anyone will disagree that physical buttons are always going to be easier to use while driving. But as you can see here there's a compromise that has to be struck because with the amount of technology we have these days having physical buttons for every function clutters up the steering wheel/center stack in a major way.

There have been capacitive buttons that do a decent job of replacing physical ones.

Disregard how ugly it is and just focus on the buttons.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/...on-does-capacitive-touch-controls-right-.html

For 2013, Toyota's full-size Avalon received an all-new, upscale interior with capacitive buttons for climate, stereo and navigation controls. Our skepticism peaked when first reporting the Avalon's interior used such controls considering no automaker does the capacitive trend very well. After thoroughly testing the 2013 Avalon, however, Toyota's premium sedan surprised us with the best execution of these controls to date.

"I was 15 minutes into my drive and had adjusted the climate a few times before I looked down and realized they were capacitive touch," says Cars.com Managing Editor David Thomas.

The Avalon's capacitive controls succeed because the buttons respond quickly and accurately to inputs — there's no delay, and each surface is sensitive enough to work at first touch but not so sensitive that they trigger accidentally. All of the Avalon's buttons have large text that's easy to read, plus the surfaces still work when wearing thick winter gloves.
Point is, if we're gonna complain about too many buttons we have to be ready to accept some compromises in usability that comes from cleaning it up. There's gotta be a way to operate all the functions in the car so you cant have it both ways.

I think something like the Avalon's strikes a decent balance.

Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
According to the NHTSA Your Hands Should be at the 3 and 9 positions in the first place with your thumbs on top of the spokes on either side of the wheel. The Old 10 and 2 position no longer applies for several reasons, Number One being Your safety. Because todays cars are equipped with Airbags you should always hold the Wheel at 3 and 9, 10 and 2 tend to put your hands and arms in the way of the Airbag, just like you should Never Drive One Handed with your hand at the 12 o clock position unless you want a Broken Arm if the Airbag deploys. Another reason 10 and 2 is No Longer the Proper position to hold the wheel is the size of Today's Modern Steering Wheels. 10 and 2 comes from the days of Thin Rimmed, Larger Diameter Steering Wheels
Somebody better tell Ford! The contoured hand grip parts of our 2013 Mustang steering wheel are at the 10 & 2 positions. They even went as far as to put extra nice leather in this area to make it comfy.

Looks like the Fusion steering wheel in the pictures above share a similar steering wheel concept.

rb336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
This looks bizarre. The Speedo is noticeably smaller than the tach. The section with the three vents has a different, smoother texture and shape than the rest of the center stack with an abrupt transition to where the center screen is. The sides of the center stack still seem to be made of that cheap gray unfinished plastic as in the previous spy pic. (The one with the faux stitching)

I'm hoping that this isn't final.
I just don't see the size difference.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Red Mustang Vert w/pony package w/CAI,
With a 10 speed automatic coming out in a few years, a tach will be for show only because it will never rev over 2K anyway.
You have some fat hands there!:shocked:

Just kidding!:p

Seriously though, you shouldn't drive with your hands that high on the steering wheel. I've seen a few broken arms from airbags going off and people slapping themselves in the head because their hands were in the way.