Sponsored

2015 Mustang interior: Gauge, Instrument Cluster, Center Console Pic!!

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Red Mustang Vert w/pony package w/CAI,
Within 10 years, most new cars will be manufactured with mandatory adaptive driving technology and a computerized maintenance diagnosis and repair program so the whole question of seeing your gauges will become mute.
Sponsored

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
In response to the arguments over the Redundant Steering Wheel Controls etc, these things are really designed to make it safer for drivers so you can keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Saying that, a lot of functions, such as setting up the guage cluster, mycolor, even programing the navigation should Only Be Done while Stopped. As for Bluetooth, and Cellphone Connectivity, those things are also Safety features that either are, or will soon be Required By Law, again to Keep Your Hands On the Wheel. Most of these features used to be only on High End Luxury Cars, but now, because they have proven to be a Safety Feature more than for Convenience they have trickled down to even the Cheapest Kia's and Hyundai's.

On a side note, for those of you complaining about Your Hand Blocking the Tachometer while Shifting, According to the NHTSA Your Hands Should be at the 3 and 9 positions in the first place with your thumbs on top of the spokes on either side of the wheel. The Old 10 and 2 position no longer applies for several reasons, Number One being Your safety. Because todays cars are equipped with Airbags you should always hold the Wheel at 3 and 9, 10 and 2 tend to put your hands and arms in the way of the Airbag, just like you should Never Drive One Handed with your hand at the 12 o clock position unless you want a Broken Arm if the Airbag deploys. Another reason 10 and 2 is No Longer the Proper position to hold the wheel is the size of Today's Modern Steering Wheels. 10 and 2 comes from the days of Thin Rimmed, Larger Diameter Steering Wheels. Today Steering Wheels are Much Thicker and Smaller which Brings Your Arms more Parallel to each other and also reduces the opening in which to see the Gauge Cluster, but gives Better Control of the Vehicle. You should also know the correct position to Adjust the Wheel to for Your Safety. Your arms should be Slightly Bent, and the Wheel should be as Far Away as Possible while still being able to maintain that position, and should be Adjusted for Height to Allow a Clear View of the Full Instrument Cluster at All Times.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Steering wheel height should be adjusted for best ergonomics for using that wheel to steer the car. Having to compromise that to suit gauge placement says that the gauge layout is not as good as it should be.

Holding the wheel at 9 and 3 is unrealistic when the spokes each fill up nearly an entire hour - and without being able to wrap your fingers around the wheel you'll tend to steer the car by palming the wheel which is decidedly poor practice. Drop the spokes toward 8 and 4 and a 'true' 9 & 3 hand positioning starts making more sense.

There is probably a maximum number of steering wheel buttons before the distraction of having to look down to reliably hit the right one (right ones and in the correct sequence for menus) becomes no better than if they were on the dash and out of the way.

As for Bluetooth, and Cellphone Connectivity, those things are also Safety features
The best I'll give you on this point is that they are features with safety POTENTIAL. Not safety directly, and I will remind you that even hands-free phone use while driving is still a distraction. Any concentration spent in conversation is concentration not immediately available for driving.

Norm

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
On a side note, for those of you complaining about Your Hand Blocking the Tachometer while Shifting, According to the NHTSA Your Hands Should be at the 3 and 9 positions in the first place with your thumbs on top of the spokes on either side of the wheel. The Old 10 and 2 position no longer applies for several reasons, Number One being Your safety. Because todays cars are equipped with Airbags you should always hold the Wheel at 3 and 9, 10 and 2 tend to put your hands and arms in the way of the Airbag, just like you should Never Drive One Handed with your hand at the 12 o clock position unless you want a Broken Arm if the Airbag deploys.

Your arms should be Slightly Bent, and the Wheel should be as Far Away as Possible while still being able to maintain that position, and should be Adjusted for Height to Allow a Clear View of the Full Instrument Cluster at All Times.
BS. Sounds more like NTSB babble to cover themselves in case of lawsuits for requiring airbags in cars.

Either 10 & 2 or 12:00 offer better control. And you can 't get a good, grip at 9 & 3 with the spokes there.

With a hand at 12:00 position, there is equal distance to turn the wheel left or right. With hands at 9:00 position, there's hardly any room to turn the wheel left if needed but a ton more room to turn tight if needed. Not only does 12:00 offer equal opportunity for turning, but it also more balanced. If I hit a bump with my hand at 12:00, I am in a much more controllable position to react.

If NTSB really cared about people, they'd require HUD & airbags that don't break people's arms.

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
This post ^^^ doesn't deserve a response. Actually it does. Based on your statement, they should require all manufacturers custom fit all vehicles for every single person who purchases said vehicle for their safety so no one ever has to compromise their safety.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
If my car ever is designed so that it tells me how I have to have my wheel tilted or positioned or where I need to put my hands, it wont be my car for long. I could care less how im supposed to hold the wheel, or what height I should have it set at. I will be comfortable when I drive. If a certain vehicle isnt going to let me to do, I simply wont buy it. Some of you may mot mind having to compromise. I wont, I havent had a problem with my current car, but the wheels different than a mustangs (I think all since 05) I leave my hands at 4 and 8 when driving 'normal' and when i'm spiritied i'm at about 11 and 4, but depending on which car i'm in, my 4 o clock hand stays on the shifter unless I feel I need it on the wheel.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
This post ^^^ doesn't deserve a response. Actually it does. Based on your statement, they should require all manufacturers custom fit all vehicles for every single person who purchases said vehicle for their safety so no one ever has to compromise their safety.
Car manufacturers already make safety features adaptable for each person. That's why the seats move back, forth, up down, tilt steering, adjustable mirrors, adjustable seatbelt heights, self adjusting seat belt tensioners, airbag sensors for passenger seats... the list goes on.

I'm all for protecting drivers & passengers in the case of a collision but I don't believe for a minute that the NTSB has the public's safety or best interest in mind.

Sure, some of these extra safety measures help minimize personal injury during a collision. But if the NTSB really gave a rat's a$$ about the public, they'd mandate that all of these technology packages that serve either as distractions for drivers or make drivers lazy be outlawed in vehicles. Blind spot monitoring, lane departure warnings... not necessary. Drivers should pay attention to what they're doing! Many cities across the country have cell phone laws that people must be hands free when talking & driving. What is the NTSB doing? And do we really NEED to get emails, text messages or talk on the phone while we're driving? Why not just make a HUD that displays the internet on the windshield so we can read the morning paper a little easier on our way to work?

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Personal attacks were edited out of posts for a reason guys. Don't reinsert them.

Let's keep it civil and take the jabs offline.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
BS. Sounds more like NTSB babble to cover themselves in case of lawsuits for requiring airbags in cars.
My information isn't from NHSTA or NTSB. It's straight from manufacturers sales product training to better inform buyers after purchasing a vehicle. I don't want a nanny state either.

Sponsored

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
I actually paid attention when I was driving my car yesterday and I realized I don't have a card in either camp of the tach debate. Mine is on the left, but I have no problem seeing the full face of both my tach and speedo.

Perhaps it's because I place my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock like every hot shoe should.
Haha well I don't have an issue with hand placement blocking anything. My issue is simply with having to look all the way to either side to see something that makes more sense being right in the middle. Might not be a problem for this guy:

But it drives me insane.

Zquez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT, 2019 5.0
Haha well I don't have an issue with hand placement blocking anything. My issue is simply with having to look all the way to either side to see something that makes more sense being right in the middle. Might not be a problem for this guy:

But it drives me insane.
haha I too would have liked to see at least a giant center tach with digital speed in the middle.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is good looking.

MYs197

haha I too would have liked to see at least a giant center tach with digital speed in the middle.

Which car is this from?

It's a little bland looking but a good solution. Prob is where would that middle display go?
Sponsored