Sponsored

2015 Mustang in Sept 2013 R&T article (rumors: flat plane crank, turbo 4 and 6, etc.)

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
2015 Mustang in Sept 2013 R&T article (rumors: flat plane crank, turbo 4 and ...

That's all well and good, but don't so quickly believe rumors of "600 naturally aspirated horsepower". The idea that Ford would build an emissions legal 115 HP/liter engine is a huge stretch. A flat crank alone isn't the only part of the answer to that. The engine would have to rev higher, and probably have a variable lift intake cam. All the technology exists, but would and could are two different things when budget, emissions, mileage, and engineering resources (when there is so much to be done to other more important - higher volume - products) are taken into account.

Meanwhile, the next (light weight) Camaro will have the same base LT1 that the C7 Corvette has, just as the current Camaro has the same engine as the base C6. And now it has the same LS7 (to the detriment of the Boss 302). It will probably differ again in the ZL1 model (like it does now, where the engines are similar except for having a different intercooler setup, less boost, and slightly higher compression amongst other minor diffs). And the LT1 has a helluva lot of torque... a higher spinning Coyote still wont' make that much. So some things never change.
It is quite easy to make an engine for special edition to do what ever you want that is with in the realm of physics. The real question is can you do it at price point and more important at the ford EGO to prove a point. They already have the 5.8 at 7000 rpm, the 5.0 even more rpms. I personally doubt. 600hp, but not surprised if over 550.

In reality the gt350 will have enough power, but more important is weight, weight distribution and chassis tuning.
Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
My post didn't mention one thing about the Ford engine or what I believed. I was replying to your Camaro comment.

And you are forgetting 400 - 500 really important differences between the Camaro and Corvette. Those 400 - 500 details are pounds. The current Camaro has the extras. They can afford to have similar engines now without alienating the Corvette fans because the Camaro is a quarter of a ton heavier.

They are not going to charge Corvette buyers a $25,000 - $50,000 premium(depending on the trim) over the Camaro to remove a back seat and add few HP -- because that is basically what you are saying. Not going to happen.

Will the Mustang decimate the Gen 6 Camaro? Who knows -- we don't know enough about the Mustang yet. But if it doesn't it won't be because GM decide to have the Camaro and 'Vette in direct competition.

Back on topic -- news of a flat plane crank motor is awesome. It is time for something drastically different in this segment, and I hope Ford pioneers it with the Mustang. And I hope it is 600 HP. And I hope it decimates the Camaro.