Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT350 Spied With Less Camo

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The Tremec's have two overdrives, they are garbage for performance. The Getrag is the lightest, most compact 6 speed on the market today. At 109lbs wet, it is almost 60lbs lighter than the lightest TR6060. It is also rated at 390 torque at a very impressive 10,000lbs... The Tremec falls short there again... They are developed at the vehicles max torque and curb weight. They don't even use the GVWR. That's how they do it down there.

The initial Getrags were falsely given a bad name. I think less than 1% had issues, most of them were corrected. A majority of reports to the Fed were due to skip shift. The Federal government dropped the investigation after that discovery.

Also, the Getrag is 1/3rd the price of a Tremec.

Overweight, undergeared and expensive... That is what a Tremec brings to the table. An extra 2 quart capacity though... If you need more fluid, the Getrag can be upgraded.

The Getrags 1st gear ratio makes the Tremec look like a granny tranny.
All about torque capacity here.

Look up max torque capacity for Getrag and then the Tremec, and you will quickly discover why the Shelby has been Tremec and why the base cars have been Getrag.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Getrag much more than the Tremec, in terms of shift feel and ease-of-use, but for a higher-powered car the Tremec is the go-to since it has the torque capacity.

Long story short, hi-po S550's will be putting out well over 390 lb/ft... therefore, our options are either revise the Getrag (hoping for this!!!) or go Tremec.
Sponsored

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It almost seems like there are more of these SVT prototypes than there were of the regular S550's. This first one is from Arizona, the others were spotted in LA.

It's time to take off some of that camo FORD!
FYI: these are the first cobbled-up mules. This stage of prototyping is similar to when you saw the '13-bodied S550 mules running around.

To take off the camo on these would be very underwhelming... Hence the reason why the whole car isn't camouflaged.

Once you see full vehicle prototypes fully camo'd running around, that will be the time to get excited.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
All about torque capacity here.

Look up max torque capacity for Getrag and then the Tremec, and you will quickly discover why the Shelby has been Tremec and why the base cars have been Getrag.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Getrag much more than the Tremec, in terms of shift feel and ease-of-use, but for a higher-powered car the Tremec is the go-to since it has the torque capacity.

Long story short, hi-po S550's will be putting out well over 390 lb/ft... therefore, our options are either revise the Getrag (hoping for this!!!) or go Tremec.

You are wrong about the Getrag's torque rating. Reread what you quoted thePill saying; the MT-82 is rated around 369ft-lbs of torque in a 9,000-12,000 vehicle. That far exceeds what the Mustang would ever put through it.

The Tremec in the 5th gen Camaro was rated at 430ft-lbs of torque at 4,000(ish) GVWR.

The Shelby uses the Tremec for its wide gear ratio spread due to its powerband. When the higher revving Coyote came out they needed something to match.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You are wrong about the Getrag's torque rating. Reread what you quoted thePill saying; the MT-82 is rated around 369ft-lbs of torque in a 9,000-12,000 vehicle. That far exceeds what the Mustang would ever put through it.

The Tremec in the 5th gen Camaro was rated at 430ft-lbs of torque at 4,000(ish) GVWR.

The Shelby uses the Tremec for its wide gear ratio spread due to its powerband. When the higher revving Coyote came out they needed something to match.
My apologies, I misread that...

Sponsored

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The Tremec's have two overdrives, they are garbage for performance. The Getrag is the lightest, most compact 6 speed on the market today. At 109lbs wet, it is almost 60lbs lighter than the lightest TR6060. It is also rated at 390 torque at a very impressive 10,000lbs... The Tremec falls short there again... They are developed at the vehicles max torque and curb weight. They don't even use the GVWR. That's how they do it down there.

The initial Getrags were falsely given a bad name. I think less than 1% had issues, most of them were corrected. A majority of reports to the Fed were due to skip shift. The Federal government dropped the investigation after that discovery.

Also, the Getrag is 1/3rd the price of a Tremec.

Overweight, undergeared and expensive... That is what a Tremec brings to the table. An extra 2 quart capacity though... If you need more fluid, the Getrag can be upgraded.

The Getrags 1st gear ratio makes the Tremec look like a granny tranny.
I was bemoaning its inclusion in the next-generation SVT Mustang because of how horribly the MT-82 shifts in my 2011 5.0L. While I'm confidently hopeful the 2015 Mustang's shifter addresses the widely-known issues with Getrag's MT-82, it's going to have to get a whole lot better, in my opinion, especially in the top-dog Mustang.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

Bam!!! Most folks saw the 369 and began running it down. Torque is force vs. resistance, engine power vs. weight, traction, gravity and so on... vs. Physics.

With the exception of the C6 Corvettes (transmissions rated at 4000lbs), the Camaro's Tremec's are rated at the exact CURB WEIGHT. The 2010 SS's TR6060 M10 is rated at 3860lbs at 430tq. The CTS-V's Tremec was rated this way as well. The Tremec's rating is responsible for the ZL1's drive train limits. Once Ford knew what transmission they were using, the output forecast was easy.

I still hear people having shifting issues, a small portion at least. I have been in a dozen 5.0's and a handful of manual V6's... I haven't seen the issue first hand. On my Getrag, I noticed the OEM shifter was of poor quality though. The unit needs upgraded ASAP. There are twisty ties holding the unit in place and together LOL!. It actually looks like it was still in the R&D phase. It very well could have been... Add a Barton and see if it eliminates the issue. I had deflection completely out of gear in both 2nd and 3rd. I was in gear and it spit the shifter into neutral. This was under HARD acceleration, and didn't happen often. I got some resistance at the shift gate too, again, this was during low 12/high 11 second runs... The hardware under the boot gets old fast, especially when racing. This was due to banging hrough the gears, sometimes not lifting off the gas at all. It's from abuse and I have never had trouble with a Royal Purple filled Getrag until I beat on it. I have post September 2010 '11 GT.

I hear very few complain nowadays, I'm not certain of its a shifter or the pre-September/GT500 equipment.

At the Mustangs GVWR of 4750lbs, the transmissions maximum torque rating would be over twice that 369tq. This is why Evolution and Lethal P can stand a 5.0 on the rear bumper on a stock transmission. Both the folks at EVO and Lethal P admittedly have NOT seen a shifting issue or durability issue first hand. All the 5.0's that have been through those shops, I figured at least one would have found an issue and marketed a fix... Trust me... They looked. A Barton is the first thing they suggest for those that feel they have a Bad 'Rag. Wolfpack and Street Lethal have not seen one yet as well.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
FYI: these are the first cobbled-up mules. This stage of prototyping is similar to when you saw the '13-bodied S550 mules running around.

To take off the camo on these would be very underwhelming... Hence the reason why the whole car isn't camouflaged.

Once you see full vehicle prototypes fully camo'd running around, that will be the time to get excited.
That might be the case but if we are going to see it debut at the NY auto show in April (fingers crossed) they better hurry!

Whatever stage it's in I have to admit I still like seeing these :thumbsup:

2015-Ford-Mustang-50-Year-Limited-Edition-rim.jpg

There seems to be a whole fleet of these in California, specifically LA...I'm guessing there's some companies out there that are helping with the testing/development?
gt350 prototype.jpg

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I somehow doubt that Burger King could offer much car design insight.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

I know you're closer to the development process than most on this site, and your insights are most welcome, however.......this surprises me in terms of timelines. If we're to see a GT350 revealed on April 17th, then I'd have thought what we see is what we get........i.e. the only real bodywork differences are up front, with a new hood, front facia and vents behind the front wheels.

Your suggestion that we'll see more camo implies GT350 would have further styling changes than expected. Is that the case? Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. Whilst I'd welcome further styling changes over the "stock" S550, I'm hoping this doesn't detract from seeing GT350 in all her glory in April. Time's a tickin' :)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I was bemoaning its inclusion in the next-generation SVT Mustang because of how horribly the MT-82 shifts in my 2011 5.0L. While I'm confidently hopeful the 2015 Mustang's shifter addresses the widely-known issues with Getrag's MT-82, it's going to have to get a whole lot better, in my opinion, especially in the top-dog Mustang.
What transmission fluid do you currently have?

With the exception of the C6 Corvettes (transmissions rated at 4000lbs), the Camaro's Tremec's are rated at the exact CURB WEIGHT. The 2010 SS's TR6060 M10 is rated at 3860lbs at 430tq. The CTS-V's Tremec was rated this way as well. The Tremec's rating is responsible for the ZL1's drive train limits. Once Ford knew what transmission they were using, the output forecast was easy.
With what I said earlier, the 'torque rating' is not the exact point of failure. Clearly every Tremec in a Camaro doesn't shatter like glass when put to the test just like not every Getrag doesn't split like a banana when given the beans. The 'torque rating' IMO is there for classification among manufacturers to choose what would fit the vehicles they build and offer performance while fulfilling NVH and MPG goals.

I still hear people having shifting issues, a small portion at least. I have been in a dozen 5.0's and a handful of manual V6's... I haven't seen the issue first hand. On my Getrag, I noticed the OEM shifter was of poor quality though. The unit needs upgraded ASAP. There are twisty ties holding the unit in place and together LOL!. It actually looks like it was still in the R&D phase. It very well could have been... Add a Barton and see if it eliminates the issue. I had deflection completely out of gear in both 2nd and 3rd. I was in gear and it spit the shifter into neutral. This was under HARD acceleration, and didn't happen often. I got some resistance at the shift gate too, again, this was during low 12/high 11 second runs... The hardware under the boot gets old fast, especially when racing. This was due to banging hrough the gears, sometimes not lifting off the gas at all. It's from abuse and I have never had trouble with a Royal Purple filled Getrag until I beat on it. I have post September 2010 '11 GT.

I hear very few complain nowadays, I'm not certain of its a shifter or the pre-September/GT500 equipment.
By and large the majority of MT-82 complaints were of the cold 1-2 shift and that was directly attibuted to the choice of transmission fluid. I have a friend who is far more of a fluid expert than me and he says the QS and QDC fluids are both good quality, but to me I think they just didn't match the syncros and operating conditions of the transmission(QS a touch too thick, QDC too thin). Swapping fluids to something from Redline, Amsoil, or BG has shown to offer immense improvements to shifting not only in cold weather but at all times.

Upgrading the shifter definitely improves feel and makes the car more apt to being driven aggressively, but I think swapping the shifter to somehow alleviate shifting concerns is the wrong approach. Aftermarket shifters require even more precision when hitting the gates, which no one can argue are damn tight. For that idea to work the shifter would need to be bolted directly to the transmission so as to eliminate the differential torque forces between the transmission and body where the stock shifter is bolted to.

I somehow doubt that Burger King could offer much car design insight.
Maybe they are testing ingress angles for drive-throughs?

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Do you want 24mpg or 14mpg on the highway? There is always a compromise.
Man I wish that was the case, really did as I was on the highway all the time. 6th gear was so big that you could only have any passing power when doing 90-95mph. Anything lower than that and the engine was terribly lugging which would end up wasting more gas as you'd need to either use heavy throttle or downshift to make up losing even 3-5mph.

I get you want a taller last gear, but when its only useable if you exactly expect to gain or lose no speed its really not useful IMO.

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
Man I wish that was the case, really did as I was on the highway all the time. 6th gear was so big that you could only have any passing power when doing 90-95mph. Anything lower than that and the engine was terribly lugging which would end up wasting more gas as you'd need to either use heavy throttle or downshift to make up losing even 3-5mph.

I get you want a taller last gear, but when its only useable if you exactly expect to gain or lose no speed its really not useful IMO.
Leave it in 5th?
Sponsored