Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT vs. @ 2016 Mustang GT

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
I'm finally getting close to the point where I am able to take the plunge and buy my dream car (S550). I have been looking at all my options and trying to make my mind between a used 2015 or a new 2016. It really at this point depends on what kind of deal I can find. But I was wondering if knew of any differences between the 2 that would make 1 better that the other? If memory serves me correctly, I believe the '16 has a different software for the infotainment system? Is that the only difference? Is the '16 software that much better?
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
15 has sync 2, 16 has sync 3. 16 has some different cosmetic options like black roof and CS edition. GT's has turn signals in the hood vents. Other than Sync 3 and minor cosmetic options and minor interior options they are both pretty much the same.

My 15 Sync 2 works flawlessly but then again i'm not much of a tech guy so i would of been happy with Sync 2 or 3.

All i wanted was a GT with premium interior and a manual transmission with a good deal on the price and financing. Good luck with which ever one you choose. You can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
Eco- Thanks for the great information. Commy- I never quite understood the need to remind people of the search function. Isnt everone here because they like talking about the new Mustang? I was pretty sure i knew all of the differences but figured I would ask just to be sure. Who or what is it hurting to ask a question that might have be asked in another post?

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
By not searching it shows how lazy you can be. One comes across bad asking questions on things the answers can be found in seconds.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm finally getting close to the point where I am able to take the plunge and buy my dream car (S550). I have been looking at all my options and trying to make my mind between a used 2015 or a new 2016. It really at this point depends on what kind of deal I can find. But I was wondering if knew of any differences between the 2 that would make 1 better that the other? If memory serves me correctly, I believe the '16 has a different software for the infotainment system? Is that the only difference? Is the '16 software that much better?
The infotainment system difference mentioned above makes difference only if you're shopping for a premium car (400A or 401A). On a Base GT both '15 and '16 have the same system. Other differences are essentially purely cosmetic.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing that may or may not matter to you: they deleted the aux in jack for 2016. Personally I think this was a really foolish cost saving measure that could directly detract value for certain customers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
But if we are going to use that logic, should one ask any questions that could be found somewhere else on the net? I suppose I could have spent a bit of time on Fords website comparing the 2. I just thought to myself, you know what, I spend quite a bit of time on this board reading, but dont really engage with the other members much. It isnt because I dont like talking or thinking about Mustangs, because I spend at least an hour almost every day on this site. I love it. Its allowed me to quench my thirst, if you will, while I have been getting my finances in order to buy one. I just figured I would ask a simple question that could probably be answered in short order by someone more familiar than I. From my point of view, it seems snarky or smart assed to reply by directing someone to search for the answer. Having been a member since before the '15's came out , I am very aware I could have searched the board.

OP
OP

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
To those that have the premium, is the Sync 3 far superior to the Sync 2? I remember reading before the '16 came out that some were very excited about the change. Im just wondering if that alone would be worth getting a 16' as opposed to the '15. Thanks for all the great info.

OP
OP

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
That does seem odd that they would have deleted the aux jack. I use a phone with Bluetooth but may not have used that feature if I could just plug in.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
You answered your own question. You should be able to get a good deal on a 15.

OP
OP

Donny_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevy S10
That was my mindset before being made aware of the major differences between the 2. I was just wondering if the 16 was better in enough ways to make it worth spending the extra money and figured that best person to ask would be those that owned one. Thanks for all the great info.

DaUnit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP Shadow Black
The new SYNC 3" is so much faster than the old sync garbage with the Windows OS. Also, the hood turn blinkers are pretty sexy. Those are the notable changes!

They also have the black accent package(as an option$$$) that comes with blacked out emblems and wheels but it's a waste of money since you could plasti-dip all that yourself for dirt cheap.

Nevertheless, congrats on your future GT you won't regret it bud!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you're getting a premium model, I'd go for a '16 just for Sync 3, unless you can find a killer deal on a '15.