Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 WRX STI

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
The new 2.0 was developed for the BRZ/FRS twins and has a pretty decent HP/L ratio for a NA car. This same engine in its WRX application is making more HP and torque than the outgoing 2.5.
Actually it's not the same engine it's different it's purely direct injection. It has more Incommon with the new forester xt and japan market legacy turbo engine than anything else stateside. There was a test and the new wrx makes torque faster than the new sti.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I was very happy to finally see someone perform a test that highlighted what turbo lag looks like. I'd really like to see a multiple charts, all starting at different RPMs (maybe do it in third gear so you can compare them at higher RPMs without hitting too many issues with speed limits). That brings up another point: How do the gear ratios affect the results? In the R&T test, both were in 6th gear. For the WRX that seems to be 4.444 * .666 = 2.957. For the STI that seems to be 3.9 * .756 = 2.948. OK, so at least the gears are about the same at the top end.

I do wish more magazines would perform tests like this. Would be really interesting to see a comparison between something like a BMW 540 (with the twin turbo V8), Tesla Model S, and the older CTS-V with the S/C. I think that would be an interesting result.

-T

Awhiddon81

Threads
Reaction score
Currently own a 2009 wrx with about 300whp and deciding between the new GT and new STI for my next car. With all the suspension mods and extra power on my wrx I really love the car and want the new STI, but the ringland problem is in the forefront of my mind. My father is a retired Ford employee so the deal I could get on a GT with track pack and recaros is very appealing. I love in Georgia so snow isn't too much of a concern but wonder about wet weather driving. I am so used to having awd and not having to feather the throttle on acceleration in the wet, etc. I thought about getting the mustang and maybe an older wrx or regular impreza to drive on those rainy days as not to worry about it. A lot of my fears of driving a mustang in the rain stems from my experience in my mothers foxbody mustang gt, but I know the car has progressed a lot since then.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Currently own a 2009 wrx with about 300whp and deciding between the new GT and new STI for my next car. With all the suspension mods and extra power on my wrx I really love the car and want the new STI, but the ringland problem is in the forefront of my mind. My father is a retired Ford employee so the deal I could get on a GT with track pack and recaros is very appealing. I love in Georgia so snow isn't too much of a concern but wonder about wet weather driving. I am so used to having awd and not having to feather the throttle on acceleration in the wet, etc. I thought about getting the mustang and maybe an older wrx or regular impreza to drive on those rainy days as not to worry about it. A lot of my fears of driving a mustang in the rain stems from my experience in my mothers foxbody mustang gt, but I know the car has progressed a lot since then.

A great set of tires on the Mustang would alleviate those fears quickly. Michelin Super Sports or Continental ExtremeContact DW work great in the rain. I personally have the Conti DW tires and have driven in 36 degree rain storms and the tires lived up to my expectations.

Shredicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3
Actually it's not the same engine it's different it's purely direct injection. It has more Incommon with the new forester xt and japan market legacy turbo engine than anything else stateside. There was a test and the new wrx makes torque faster than the new sti.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/car-comparison-tests/2015-subaru-wrx-vs-sti
Well if we're splitting hairs they're all FA engines which share the exact same bore, stroke, displacement, block, heads,etc. Primary differences are in the compression (lowered for turbo application) and the omission of the D4-S port injection system that toyota contributed. The engine in the WRX is still called the FA20 same as the BRZ/FRS.

Sponsored

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
Well if we're splitting hairs they're all FA engines which share the exact same bore, stroke, displacement, block, heads,etc. Primary differences are in the compression (lowered for turbo application) and the omission of the D4-S port injection system that toyota contributed. The engine in the WRX is still called the FA20 same as the BRZ/FRS.
There's different pistons and rods and possibly more I haven't researched it much. I know the redline is a little lower. It's akin to calling the cobra jet twin turbo motor the same as the regular ole coyote. ....or in subaru speak they have lots of variations of ej25. They all are stamped ej25 but the internals are much different

But If I lived in Georgia I wouldn't be worried about awd when it's wet out. Get the mustang and don't drive like a hoon and keep tcs on. I've driven lots of miles in the snow/rain with my mustang and various other rwd cars the only time I get in trouble is when I push it too hard intentionally. I agree with proper tires you'll be in great shape. Where I love we average 60 at least inches of snow a year and I have yet to see a p71 crown Vic stuck in the snow. Goes to show what the right tires will do.

Awhiddon81

Threads
Reaction score
Good to hear from actual owners on wet weather driving. Now just have to wait months until they start arriving at dealers. Going to be a long summer.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/14/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-pricing-official/

It's funny how in the US the new STi's price remains unchanged but in Australia there's been a reduction of $10k (and $11k) ...!!

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/58661/2014-subaru-wrx-sti-price-and-features-for-australia

Subaru’s all-new WRX STI performance hero is now on sale in Australia, sliding in above the regular WRX with a $49,990 price tag.
At that price, the new STI enters with a $11,000 premium over the new WRX - while slashing a massive $10,000 off the old WRX STI’s launch price.
By comparison, Volkswagen's new all-wheel-drive 206kW Golf R is priced at $51,990, and Mitsubishi's ageing Evolution - soon to be retired - begins at $56,990.
There's also a new Premium model, replacing the Spec R grade in the outgoing line-up, which is an even more compelling $11,000 cheaper than before.
And while power is again provided by the EJ25 turbo 2.5 litre four-cylinder boxer, the new STI brings a host of new features well beyond the standard package of the previous model.

Shredicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3
There's different pistons and rods and possibly more I haven't researched it much. I know the redline is a little lower. It's akin to calling the cobra jet twin turbo motor the same as the regular ole coyote. ....or in subaru speak they have lots of variations of ej25. They all are stamped ej25 but the internals are much different
Well the coyote in the '15s is going to be more akin to the Boss 302 than the outgoing models' 5.0 but so far as I know we're still calling it the coyote. Just a matter of syntax I guess...:shrug:

OP
OP
BLITZM

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Falc'man, now let's see how Ford Australia prices Mustang when it eventually arrives down under - bit this is a good news, this Subaru move, and do expect GT to be ballpark with the STi.
I'm expecting a sticker price of $59990 for a top of the range GT over here.

Well, perhaps hoping rather than expecting.

OP
OP
BLITZM

BLITZM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA
I'm expecting a sticker price of $59990 for a top of the range GT over here.
Well, perhaps hoping rather than expecting.
60K - Way too much....45-50K would be a good starting point for a GT here, unless Ford really want to sell 100-200 cars per year after the initial "stampede" subsides.
Currently I have STi as a front runner, just because of usefulness, 60/40 rear seat split, 5 seats....... and RHD Mustang cars still being so far away from ready. I'm going to go crazy waiting another 18mths. Hurry up Ford.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
60K - Way too much....45-50K would be a good starting point for a GT here
I suspect that the EcoBoost may go for that.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
60K - Way too much....45-50K would be a good starting point for a GT here, unless Ford really want to sell 100-200 cars per year after the initial "stampede" subsides.
Currently I have STi as a front runner, just because of usefulness, 60/40 rear seat split, 5 seats....... and RHD Mustang cars still being so far away from ready. I'm going to go crazy waiting another 18mths. Hurry up Ford.
I agree it's too much, especially when the SRT8 is priced below $60k, but knowing Ford they'd want to milk it, especially if they compare it to the cheapest V8 coupe on the market.

Yes, although the STi ticks more boxes than anything else on the market, we need to see what the FH XR6T & XR8 bring to the table.

Considering the VF has had a $3k price reduction I would also expect the FH models to follow suit, so look for a possible sub $45k price tag for the Turbo Falcon.

If that won't tickle the fancy then how about the XR8? We've been told how great it looks but the real insiders that I know are suggesting it will definitely kick ass. Having a 500hp donk for about $55k should have many salivating.

The bad news is they'll both be available about 6 months before the Stang, so it's also quite a wait.

The pricing is here is becoming a little more realistic; STi @ sub $50k, the SRT8 @ sub $60k, the VF range dropping $3k across the board... One would expect Ford to follow suit. Had it not been for aforementioned price points I would have said $60k for Mustang. Ford have a history of not reading things - they know how to screw things up. What they should be doing is saturating the market with this product. There's no reason why it should be any more than $50k. At $60k people would find the FH XR8 and XR6T more attractive propositions as well as any of the SS variants, and, lets not forget the STi.

You wouldn't happen to know Norm/4Vman, would you?

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Just checking carsales.com.au for the cheapest V8 coupe and it's the Audi RS5 @ $155k list. No doubt it has a little more prestige and sophistication, and Mustang won't attract the "elite" like RS5 does, but if exclusivity in the way of V8 coupes is anything to go by then Ford Aus can put whatever price tag they want for the GT - anywhere up to $70k. And since the Shelby won't be seen till 2017 I think it's quite possible they could demand a premium.

Can't afford it? Here, buy a 4cyl Mustang!

I hope logic prevails and EB Mustang is mid 30s and an extra 10k for the V8.
Sponsored