2015 Mustang Gt oil smell

BS55084

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Hi everyone!. New here and new owner of a 2015 Gt PP 6 speed. Beating a dead horse here but I'm new to the coyote motors. Car has 61k on it. Runs great still has plenty of power. I noticed i get on it it shift at higher rpm's i get a oil smell from the air vents. It does have a no breather filter catch can bit no other mods. Wondering what this could be. Hopefully not a bad motor or bad ring land. Does not smoke at all. Heard maybe it could be nad oil filter seal? or oil pressure switch?..possibly bad valve cover gaskets? But I see no oil leaks on the manifolds or valve cover bolts. Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
God you guys are sooo paranoid.... I swear s550 owners are one chicken nugget from a heart attack lol...

Anyways, if you're scared pull your spark plugs see what they look like. Wet plugs mean valve stem seals. Or spark plug gasket. This also causes oil smell.

Most typical source of an oil smell is a lose PCV hose or a failed clamp. So now you're smelling some of the blowby from the motor.

The solution is super simple bring it in for service and have them look at the car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I noticed i get on it it shift at higher rpm's i get a oil smell from the air vents. It does have a no breather filter catch can bit no other mods.
No open breather on the drivers side valve cover? After the engine cools off, run your hand down along the bottom edge of both valve covers to check for oil residue. Valve covers could be leaking when hot, but it drips on the exhaust manifolds and burns up - hence your oil burning smell.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Hi everyone!. New here and new owner of a 2015 Gt PP 6 speed. Beating a dead horse here but I'm new to the coyote motors. Car has 61k on it. Runs great still has plenty of power. I noticed i get on it it shift at higher rpm's i get a oil smell from the air vents. It does have a no breather filter catch can bit no other mods. Wondering what this could be. Hopefully not a bad motor or bad ring land. Does not smoke at all. Heard maybe it could be nad oil filter seal? or oil pressure switch?..possibly bad valve cover gaskets? But I see no oil leaks on the manifolds or valve cover bolts. Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
If you get an oily electrical smell when you push it hard you are smelling the catalytic converters. It's common and you are cleaning out what the last owner let build up in the cats.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had a similar problem early on with my 2015. Check the valve cover bolt torque. Mine were loose and after tightening to spec no more smell.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BS55084

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I had a similar problem early on with my 2015. Check the valve cover bolt torque. Mine were loose and after tightening to spec no more smell.
Thanks for the feedback...i just checked one bolt on the passenger side....it was very loose so I suspect more of them are probably loose too. Any tips on getting to the rear most bolts?

OP
OP

BS55084

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
No open breather on the drivers side valve cover? After the engine cools off, run your hand down along the bottom edge of both valve covers to check for oil residue. Valve covers could be leaking when hot, but it drips on the exhaust manifolds and burns up - hence your oil burning smell.
Thanks for the feedback...breathers aren't open...checked the valve covers for residue..could not feel or see anything on then or the manifolds...did find loose valve cover bolts

OP
OP

BS55084

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
God you guys are sooo paranoid.... I swear s550 owners are one chicken nugget from a heart attack lol...

Anyways, if you're scared pull your spark plugs see what they look like. Wet plugs mean valve stem seals. Or spark plug gasket. This also causes oil smell.

Most typical source of an oil smell is a lose PCV hose or a failed clamp. So now you're smelling some of the blowby from the motor.

The solution is super simple bring it in for service and have them look at the car.
I'm not paranoid...and I am NEW to the coyote engine...i just wanted to get some feedback to see what other people may have experienced... thanks for being a jerk. That Will get you far in life.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I'm not paranoid...and I am NEW to the coyote engine...i just wanted to get some feedback to see what other people may have experienced... thanks for being a jerk. That Will get you far in life.
I'm not being a jerk lol I meant it as a joke but i guess that got lost my apologies.

Anyway, you're car is probably fine check the plugs, or take it into the dealer. Coyotes are tough motors so it's gonna be fine

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the feedback...i just checked one bolt on the passenger side....it was very loose so I suspect more of them are probably loose too. Any tips on getting to the rear most bolts?
Extension with a u-joint, and some patience.
What he said. To get to the one tucked up behind the battery box requires removal of the battery box and is something I haven't done. I guess I got lucky not having to touch that one so far.
Sponsored