Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT Oil Pump Gear / Crank Sprocket / Engine Timing Videos

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
This week I tackled tearing apart my engine (with 6k miles on it) and installing a set of Boundary billet oil pump gears, a TSS billet crank sprocket, and an ATI Super Damper to cut some of the weak links out of the 2015+ coyote motor for the installation of my Whipple kit.

Blazer made a great write up on doing the install itself and it was really good. Where I ran into some confusion was that my car is a 2015 and the timing process is different according to Ford. I took some video - not of me unscrewing bolts etc - that part is easy to find online (such as Blazer's write-up) - but of the positioning and what it actually looks like on a 2015+ engine when it's cracked open and you're setting it up to not hand grenade when you're done.

I'd never done it before and went by the shop manual - I linked a series of 5 YouTube videos that highlighted what to do on a 2015 model since Ford says not to follow older timing methods.

PS - After reassembling everything I bolted on my Whipple kit and have had zero issues with timing, oil pumps gears, or anything else, so I know this method worked for me. Good luck - and if in doubt, check your Ford manual, because I almost relied on old information that may have caused me some engine damage.

I shot the videos in 1080p 60 fps but YouTube apparently didn't like that and they show up at 720p60fps - so give them a second to load if you're looking for details.

[ame]
[ame]
[ame]
[ame]
[ame]

I hope this helps someone to see what it actually looks like in video!

:muscle::muscle::beer::beer::flag:
Sponsored

Last edited:

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
Thanks for vids. I have been undecided about doing it myself.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Thanks for vids. I have been undecided about doing it myself.
You're welcome - it was definitely whiskey time when the whole car started up the first time. Totally worth it. :cheers:

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Just a quick update - I've been able to use this timing procedure on my old 2015 GT, a buddy's 2016 GT, and my recent 2018 GT. Based on the Ford manuals, it doesn't appear to have changed, other than the 2018 needs to have the engine raised and possibly the subframe dropped to get the oil pan free of the pump pickup. I was able to lower the pan without removing it - but do this with the knowledge that you may have to drop it anyway if you disturb the factory placed RTV sealant at the back of the oil pan or if you do not properly reseat the pan gasket before bolting it back up. Other than the change to the pan / pickup design I actually thought it was a little easier on the 2018. Maybe it's repetition!

Hope this helps some folks!
Sponsored