Sponsored

2015 EcoBoost Convertible “Cruiser” Build

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Idea behind my build: I don’t plan on hitting the track. It is for daily driving and long trips. I normally stay within 0-80 mph. What you are not going to see is the car lowered. After spending some time with the car in South Carolina heat this summer I determined the stock intercooler works for me. No catch-can… I don’t plan on keeping the car past 5 years.

What are my “must haves” for a basic cruiser????

Things done:

1. Tune: #1 thing to do. Ford Performance Tune is what I went with. Purchased from LevittownFordParts.com for $535 (that includes shipping). Dealer charged $220 for installation. Install took hour and half. Go with the Ford Performance tune if you want to keep your warranty. Definitely a nice tune with and automatic calibration to boot. Car is a smooth and fast performer after installing this tune.

2. Rear speakers. #2 thing to do, if you like sound. I have the upgraded system with the subwoofer. I love the system. The only issue I had was the rear speakers, which had no treble (and the base was not needed since there is a sub in the trunk. I upgraded to JBL GTO638 and could not be happier. Those speakers even out the sound. Speakers were like $60 to $80 at the time. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TF8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

3. Tint: TintFX.biz (northern VA) put the SunTek Carbon XP 45% for $260 on all windows (with the factory tint, the real value is around 35% what I was told. It looks it). It really does keep the car cooler in the summer. They did a great job. Plus, the car is “legal” in MD so I don’t have to worry about the police.

4. Scosche magnetic mount: mount your cell phone in your car. This is absolutely great. $14 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I608BJ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

5. Muffler delete – First performed a muffler delete. I did not like the sound! Sounds great on video though. I don’t recommend this.

6. Magnaflow mufflers and tips: SummitRacing.com: Magnaflow #10415 ; Tips: #SUM-690032. Total cost: $200. Cost to install: 150 (tip included): $350 total. I left the resonator after speaking to a Ford tech who recommended I not delete for warranty purposes (if I took the car to them). The mufflers sound great, exactly what I wanted. BUT, if I had it all over to do again, I would leave the mufflers stock. Shop who performed the job: Fast Lane Performance Muffler, 12409 Crain Hwy, Brandywine, MD 20613, 301-782-3737

7. Drop in K&N filter. After going back and forth on this, it was this or a Roush intake. I might do the Roush later. But far as I’m concerned the stock air box is okay for my needs. Again, if I were going to track this car, I’d definitely get a better intake. $50 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SLK78HY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

8. Exterior: Blacked out the Mustang emblems on the front and back. I like it… did not like the silver ponies. Added 50 RWHP by doing this. lol

9. Cargo net: I carry a lot of stuff in the trunk. Many times, I carry small items since I have a vert and don’t want things flying out. Cargo net keeps small things from moving around. It was $50 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHQK9RU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

10. Bunch of Meguiar’s wax from amazon.

11. Turtle wax – wax and dry wax. Been using this for years… fastest way to wax a car in between “deep” waxes. I would not use this as my only wax but it beats not waxing. Use this when the car is still wet… so you dry and wax the car at the same time.

12. Stoner invisible glass: Best stuff I’ve found to clean glass. Heck, I use this in my house now! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OWD2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

13. Purchased some rag top protector. I'll use this before the ice comes... well, before the salt is laid down. Salt... oh, boy... http://www.amazon.com/RAGGTOPP-Conv...986936&sr=8-5&keywords=convertible+protectant

14. Spare tire: My car did not come with a spare. Since I travel a lot at night, I purchased a spare tire. I purchased from Fairway Ford through Ebay. $220 shipped.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Pictures:

First time I saw the car (an online pic):

Mustang1.jpg

My first pic:

Mustang_parked.jpg

Phone mount. Very small... you can't really see it. Great for holding your cell:

WP_20150608_20_13_15_Pro.jpg

Rear speakers:

WP_20150608_20_18_14_Pro.jpg

Mufflers:

WP_20150808_20_15_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20150808_20_17_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20150810_20_01_13_Pro.jpg

Tint:

WP_20150712_14_59_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20150712_15_05_24_Pro.jpg

Ford Performance tune:

Last edited:

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
missing from that build is an intercooler. i severely doubt the stock one keeps the charge temps in check.

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
missing from that build is an intercooler. i severely doubt the stock one keeps the charge temps in check.
Read the info I posted... I don't think an intercooler is needed. I might change my mind next year but I did not need it this year. With Global warming, you never know. :D

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
it's literally the single biggest upgrade you can do. you can turn up the boost significantly, have it hold on longer, and with the charge temps staying at ambient, no loss/heatsoak.

The stock intercooler they put on the Focus ST had charge temps of +130* over ambient with a load, on the stock tune with only 16-18psi of boost. Now I get a full strong 24psi, and charge temps are at ambient temp. So it's a denser charge with more boost.

ANYONE with a turbocharged/intercooled car should at minimum do the following in importance:
intercooler
downpipe as big as the turbo outlet/least restriction to none
intake pipes to be as big as the turbo inlet
tune.

If the Focus ST with the following is picking up a solid 80hp at the crank with the 2.0 and the following mods, I'd imagine the Mustang with the 2.3 to be right there too. (with the severe limiting factor being the too small intercoolers that Ford is putting on all their Ecoboost cars)

Sponsored

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
it's literally the single biggest upgrade you can do. you can turn up the boost significantly, have it hold on longer, and with the charge temps staying at ambient, no loss/heatsoak.

The stock intercooler they put on the Focus ST had charge temps of +130* over ambient with a load, on the stock tune with only 16-18psi of boost. Now I get a full strong 24psi, and charge temps are at ambient temp. So it's a denser charge with more boost.

ANYONE with a turbocharged/intercooled car should at minimum do the following in importance:
intercooler
downpipe as big as the turbo outlet/least restriction to none
intake pipes to be as big as the turbo inlet
tune.

If the Focus ST with the following is picking up a solid 80hp at the crank with the 2.0 and the following mods, I'd imagine the Mustang with the 2.3 to be right there too.
My car absolutely drives great with the stock intercooler. No one can tell me it does not. I was able to run with some modified GTs while driving through SC. The car performed better than expected and I was impressed. This was in 95 to 100 degree weather.

I've followed mods for a while and the numbers I see are not there. Sorry. Sound good in advertising though. I did notice a drop down low when I removed the mufflers that I did not like. Far as other mods (downpipe, etc), not important. I'm pushing 5.3 0-60... I'm good there. I can run on the hwy. I'm good there. Can I get it faster? Sure I can...

But like I said, this is a "cruiser" build... not the standard "let me follow the crowd to build a race car" build.

I performed the upgrades important to me. ;)

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
im curious of your charge temps. Mine were +140 over ambient when getting on it in the Washington DC summer and fall air.

Even in 95-100* air, the intake temp is totally irrelevant, it's the charge temps that matter. I'm not trying in any way to tell you what to do, but I'm also telling you it's literally the #1 bang for the buck, and a damn cheap mod to do as well. It's the first thing to be upgraded on any turbo car

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
im curious of your charge temps. Mine were +140 over ambient when getting on it in the Washington DC summer and fall air.

Even in 95-100* air, the intake temp is totally irrelevant, it's the charge temps that matter. I'm not trying in any way to tell you what to do, but I'm also telling you it's literally the #1 bang for the buck, and a damn cheap mod to do as well. It's the first thing to be upgraded on any turbo car
#1 bang is the tune... #2 are the speakers. :D

My car performs as it should and I'm happy with it. For the 3rd or 4th time, no intercooler needed.

If you are looking for a race car build thread, I'm sure there are plenty on here. ;)

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Looks great and good idea. These cars perform so well for the average person, that there's no real need to get crazy engine mods. I'll only get a CAI and Exhaust, when it's time to replace the exhaust system. I'm I'm a higher elevation so I think more air in and out is a good thing lol

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
this isn't even about a "race car build" this is just a "if you're going to even mod it at all with stuff like intake, exhaust, tune, etc. might as well put the money where it matters. -- especially on a turbocharged car.

My ST isn't a race car either, it's our casual DD 2nd car.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
No need for a larger intercooler on a cruiser.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
With focus on a cruiser, consider a windscreen - aero of the car is pretty good, but windscreen reduces buffet, noise, and extends the top-down driving season. Have always had these on euro verts, all prior were factory options (Porsche, Audi, Saab). I went with "Love the Drive". Works great - easy install. Flips up and down pending preference. Top will cycle with it up or down. And for all vert owners I suggest following this thread. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23687 Many verts are seeing this problem. BTW, what sort of gas mileage do you get. Mine is PP, and prob only averaging 21-23 mixed on my commute. Not as great as I hope, but plenty of smiles to the gallon! Great car color!:D
thumb_IMG_6164_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5770_1024.jpg

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
could not possibly agree more with the suggestion of the wind deflector. of all the mods I did to my last stang, it was far and away the best one, made driving so nice.

I kept it when I sold mine to put on the '16 I'll be ordering soon.

OP
OP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
With focus on a cruiser, consider a windscreen - aero of the car is pretty good, but windscreen reduces buffet, noise, and extends the top-down driving season. Have always had these on euro verts, all prior were factory options (Porsche, Audi, Saab). I went with "Love the Drive". Works great - easy install. Flips up and down pending preference. Top will cycle with it up or down. And for all vert owners I suggest following this thread. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23687 Many verts are seeing this problem. BTW, what sort of gas mileage do you get. Mine is PP, and prob only averaging 21-23 mixed on my commute. Not as great as I hope, but plenty of smiles to the gallon! Great car color!:D
I have considered one of those... I'm interested in "extending the season".

I'm guessing you can drive with the temp in what, the early to mid 50s... how low have you went?

It is one of those things I'd have to sit in or see in person before pulling the trigger.

I don't drive that much during the week. I have quick runs to the store in city traffic. During weekends, I'm either making quick runs or on the highway with a long trip. I'm averaging 25 in the city and 29 mpg on hwy. I drive "spirited". If I drove like grandma, I'd get much better mpg.

Today I reset because I went to an empty lot to see how it handles when wet. It was not bad... better than my old rwd cars/trucks from the 80s.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
lowest I've gone was 45 degrees. It was the day I was moving across country, and somewhere in Tennessee it was in the low 60's but as the day wore on and got dark, I recall going through Alabama and it dropped to the mid 40's and we were doing around 75mph.

After I got mine, I wondered why the heck I waited so long to get one. with my long hair and such I don't even need to put it up anymore with a wind deflector.
Sponsored