Sponsored

2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Word has it that the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, Chrysler’s answer to the almighty 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, will be introduced at the Detroit Auto Show next week.

While there’s no official info about the newly-developed engine, past rumors claims that the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 mill will deliver about 640 horsepower, more than the Camaro Z/28 and the Shelby GT500, via a six-speed manual and an eight-speed automatic.

The new Hellcat-powered Challenger is also expected to feature a redesigned front bumper, wider fender arches and a new hood. Production is reportedly scheduled to commence in mid-2014, which means the Hellcat will go on sale by the end of the year.

The 2014 Detroit Auto Show begins on January 13, which means will find out whether this rumor is true or not in less than a week.
Rumor is that it will be unveiled at Detroit in a week. Has anyone been interested in this car and following news about it?

How do we think it'll stack up?
Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
In what world is 640hp greater than 662hp?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I really like the looks of the Challenger, and appreciate it for what it is: a large, relatively comfortable, relatively sporty GT car. It will never have the sharp handling of the Mustang or Camaro, but it would be great for a long cruise.

This hellcat model is not what I am interested in, because it will likely be even heavier (supercharger) and less balanced for sporty driving. Should still be awesome for a cruise or drag race though.

Don't like seeing these prices approaching the $70,000 range though.

So far I like these types of cars in the following order:

Mustang Boss 302
Camaro SS 1LE
Camaro ZL1
Mustang GT500
Camaro Z/28
Hellcat

If the Z/28 was more like $60,000, I would probably rank it right after the SS 1LE (and possibly in front of it), but the price pushes it down the ranks. Even though this new Challenger isn't my favorite, it's good to see SRT bringing something a bit crazy to the table.

-T

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
My dealership currently has a traded in yellow SRT8 392 Challenger in the parking lot. It's a neat car but does not scream performance like a Mustang does, not sure how much work it would take for this Hellcat to change that.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I think the hellcat would have been the perfect car if it were around in 1986 or 1987 in Miami Vice lol.

Sponsored

crazyfastfreddy

I really like the looks of the Challenger, and appreciate it for what it is: a large, relatively comfortable, relatively sporty GT car. It will never have the sharp handling of the Mustang or Camaro, but it would be great for a long cruise.

This hellcat model is not what I am interested in, because it will likely be even heavier (supercharger) and less balanced for sporty driving. Should still be awesome for a cruise or drag race though.

Don't like seeing these prices approaching the $70,000 range though.

So far I like these types of cars in the following order:

Mustang Boss 302
Camaro SS 1LE
Camaro ZL1
Mustang GT500
Camaro Z/28
Hellcat

If the Z/28 was more like $60,000, I would probably rank it right after the SS 1LE (and possibly in front of it), but the price pushes it down the ranks. Even though this new Challenger isn't my favorite, it's good to see SRT bringing something a bit crazy to the table.

-T
With the z/28 price i'd rank it dead last if u have to compare it to 2015 models since it will be going head to head in sales with those. in that case the boss 302 would be overtaken by the '15 gt with pp, as that will perform just as good for much less.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
With the z/28 price i'd rank it dead last if u have to compare it to 2015 models since it will be going head to head in sales with those. in that case the boss 302 would be overtaken by the '15 gt with pp, as that will perform just as good for much less.
Well, the hellcat is supposedly close in price to the Z/28 and even less track worthy, so the Z/28 gets ahead of that, but just barely.

I agree that the next Mustang GT should be fantastic, but so far all we have is Ford's statement that it will be better than the Boss. Once that is confirmed by some third parties, I'll be ready to rank it at the top of the list (maybe right behind whatever Boss replacement Ford has waiting).

-T

All-Or-Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 6 Series Vert
The current 392 SRT8 is just as quick as the ZL1 so the Hellcat is gonna give the Chebby boys a lot of butthurt.

Glad FORD has nothing to worry about.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
The current 392 SRT8 is just as quick as the ZL1 so the Hellcat is gonna give the Chebby boys a lot of butthurt.
Not from what I've seen and read.

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score

Glad FORD has nothing to worry about.
Really? When I was stock in my 13 auto (which is a factory freak) I was pretty much dead even with 392's at the track. They are fast but not as fast as a zl1 (which is slow for being supecharged).

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Things we know already without seeing it:

1) It will still be a fat pig of a car
2) It will be very expensive
3) And this correlated to #1, it will not handle nearly as well as either the Chevy or Ford specialty models

Never cared for Chrysler/Dodge products, still don't. Challenger is a nice looking car, but it's a boat and overpriced in SRT trim compared to it's direct competitors.

The R/T and V6 versions aren't even worth discussing due to the weight penalty those motors have to overcome.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
ZL1 is a mid 12 second car. Easy pickings for an auto 392.
I disagree. Maybe in the hands of a poor driver. Decent/skilled drivers can pull off high 11's in the ZL1 stock. That isn't happening in any stock SRT8. A 580 HP ZL1 at a slightly lower weight is not going to go down to a 470 HP Challenger/Charger/300 at a higher weight with equally skilled drivers.

Stock for stock, driver for driver the ZL1 wins the 1/4 mile hands down. I'd even venture to say there are some stock 5.0 owners here that can consistently nip out stock 392's as well.

That's all the internet bench racing I'm going to do.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I disagree. Maybe in the hands of a poor driver. Decent/skilled drivers can pull off high 11's in the ZL1 stock. That isn't happening in any stock SRT8. A 580 HP ZL1 at a slightly lower weight is not going to go down to a 470 HP Challenger/Charger/300 at a higher weight with equally skilled drivers.

Stock for stock, driver for driver the ZL1 wins the 1/4 mile hands down. I'd even venture to say there are some stock 5.0 owners here that can consistently nip out stock 392's as well.

That's all the internet bench racing I'm going to do.
Internet bench racing incorporated (IBRC) replies that Zed L ones are 97.8% likely to not break 12 seconds. Unless Al O does Enron style accounting.

IBRC also agrees Zed L one likely to best the challenger
Sponsored