Sponsored

2015-2020 Mustang GT Cat Delete Pipes: First To Market and The Original Cat Deletes

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I have a set of Pypes stepped headers on my car now because I am planning to go FI in the near future, but...

For a while I had a set of MAK cat deletes on my car and I LOVED them.

Compared to headers they are easy to install by any competent exhaust shop, and give up almost nothing in NA trim to headers.

If you own a bolt-on, NA car, the MAK cat deletes are the cat's (pun intended) ass; however, if you are also running a set of Roush AB's and an x-pipe, your car is gonna be NASCARish loud and the cold-start will be enough to wake the dead.

Ask me how I know...

:doh:
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my 3" connect cat deletes. However I am struggling to see how the 3" flanges are going to work with the factory flange. Are the flanges(top) of the pipe always 3"? Here's a pic of the part I am talking about.

Thanks
IMG_0647(3).jpg

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I just received my 3" connect cat deletes. However I am struggling to see how the 3" flanges are going to work with the factory flange. Are the flanges(top) of the pipe always 3"? Here's a pic of the part I am talking about.

Thanks
The short answer: YES

The spot on the factory, driver's side header where the cut is made just above the top of the catalytic converter, is quite large in diameter. It is a little oval-shaped as well, but any somewhat competent exhaust shop will be able to weld the flange to the factory header (where the cut is made) no-problemo!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The short answer: YES

The spot on the factory, driver's side header where the cut is made just above the top of the catalytic converter, is quite large in diameter. It is a little oval-shaped as well, but any somewhat competent exhaust shop will be able to weld the flange to the factory header (where the cut is made) no-problemo!

Thanks. I was a little worried about how these 3" pipes are going to mate up with the factory 2.25 to 2.5 pipes.

You can certainly see where the performance increase comes from, not just by removing the cats but by getting rid of those kinky little pipes.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Yeah, if you see the MAK instructions the factory pipe gets "beat" outward to make it circular and a little bigger, then the flange is welded on from the inside to make up the difference.

I had a shop try to install them on my car and said they weren't able to because of this. Brought it to a more competent shop and not a single problem. I would try to find somewhere that has done them before to save yourself the headache. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Yeah, if you see the MAK instructions the factory pipe gets "beat" outward to make it circular and a little bigger, then the flange is welded on from the inside to make up the difference.

I had a shop try to install them on my car and said they weren't able to because of this. Brought it to a more competent shop and not a single problem. I would try to find somewhere that has done them before to save yourself the headache. :thumbsup:
I assume [MENTION=27612]PSIProformance[/MENTION] did your install. They did mine, those dudes are on another level. Having them mate up a corsa and steeda h pipe for me this week.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I assume [MENTION=27612]PSIProformance[/MENTION] did your install. They did mine, those dudes are on another level. Having them mate up a corsa and steeda h pipe for me this week.
Yep, I brought it somewhere else that refused to do it, brought it to PSI and they had it done no problem. They were even able to figure out a way to get the 3" pipes, new resonators, and be able to be converted back to stock cats for inspection, etc. Ended up making me a new H pipe with my resonators attached.

The guys at PSI are excellent welders and fabricators. They welded the WG flange on my intercooler, have made me two custom pipes to replace the Procharger ones with, and made me my highly customized methanol tank to my exact specs. :thumbsup:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are making me wish Jersey was closer!

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
It's pretty easy.

I actually bought an 11-14 drivers manifold so i didnt have to cut up my stock piece.

On the 11-14 manifold, the outlet flange is a different angle than the MAK drivers side pipe so i cut off the MAK pipe flange and mated it to the 11-14 flange with the extra flange they provide in the kit.

It was super easy. The 11-14 manifold can be bought brand new for about $160 so i decided to do that vs. cutting up my stock pieces.

OP
OP
AdrianMAK

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
It's pretty easy.

I actually bought an 11-14 drivers manifold so i didnt have to cut up my stock piece.

On the 11-14 manifold, the outlet flange is a different angle than the MAK drivers side pipe so i cut off the MAK pipe flange and mated it to the 11-14 flange with the extra flange they provide in the kit.

It was super easy. The 11-14 manifold can be bought brand new for about $160 so i decided to do that vs. cutting up my stock pieces.

Good Info I can relay this to customers, We have had a lot of people ask but no one has ever given feedback as to what exactly needed to be done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AdrianMAK

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@AdrianMAK or anyone who might know.

How long of a bottle style resonator could I fit on the straight portion of the delete pipes?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
@AdrianMAK or anyone who might know.

How long of a bottle style resonator could I fit on the straight portion of the delete pipes?
Here is a photo of 12" long Vibrant 1794 resonators next to the delete pipes. As you can see it could be done but the O2 bungs would have to be moved or the shoulders of the resonators shortened, or shorter resonators of course. From what I've read though the longer the resonator the more effective it is.

img_20170720_091249-jpg.jpg
Sponsored