Sponsored

2015-2017 S550 Coyote 5.0 Ownership input

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
1. 2016 GTPP bougth brand new dic 2015. Its not my daily driver but yes my weekend warrior has 16,500miles. The miles it has are pure racing miles never had one single problem only the a/c.
Other things that failed was the left proyector light of the pony and the back up camara both given under warranty.

2. A/C evaporator went out and the airconditioning compressor, the evaporator was given under warranty the compressor they did not give it under warranty.
Its been the only negative on this car.

3. I love the mt82 i dont know why it gets so much hate have never had one single proble with it and i really race hard the car.

4. Engine no issues whatsoever it has a lund tune cattdeletes and cattback exhaust with a drop in air filter.

5. I bought from hellhorseperformance the sync2 to sync3 conversion kit and love it also use android auto a lot.

6. No paint issues only rock chips on the front bumper due to racing.

Car has been great i love it. Especially coming from bmws which where so unreliable.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? 132,000
- Daily driver
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? Good

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? Yes
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed? Both

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? No
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? No

Have a bearing rattle developing on the input shaft. Could be TO bearing. Could be something worse. I haven't dug into it yet.

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns? I'd be concerned if I had both.

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? No
- VCT issues? No
- Intake (IMRC) issues? No
- Water pump issues? No
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) No
- OPG issues? No
- If engine has been replaced, why? No

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? Yes
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components. No
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? Yes

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? No. Aluminum can't rust.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? No. Just keep the leaves out.

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? I'm sure somebody has.

Last edited:

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? 49,000 and change
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? Daily driver from a 20 mile commute to a 40 mile commute and now a weekend car. Good amount of road trips involving some trips to the east costs best driving roads. Done some roll racing (lol), spirited driving and took it on the homestead oval. Performed extremely well every time.
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? Really good, above expected

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? None at all so far

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? Had a lockout going from 2nd to 3rd during roll racing but some better transmission fluid changed that, haven't had any issue since.
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? None

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? Nope
- VCT issues? Nope
- Intake (IMRC) issues? Nope
- Water pump issues? Nope
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) Nope
- OPG issues? Nope (thank God, getting these upgraded soon to account for my 8,100 limiter)

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? No, I had an aftermarket system until this past year when it crapped out. Back to the base for now, sigh.
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components. No
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? No

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? Yes, the famous hood bubbles that appeared. I wanted the gt500 hood anyway though so it worked out in my favor.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? No

To be honest, I bought this car knowing the engine would be great but was worried about American manufacturing eventually failing me in the other areas. To date, this car has been great, never left me stranded, and always just takes what I throw at it and more. The only issues I have encountered that aren't mod related, are the recalls for my car (Brake pedal, door latch, rear camera harness) and the paint bubbling on the hood. I did have a front and rear hub begin to squeak and got them replaced just last week, but I do think my stiffer aftermarket suspension played a role in accelerating the degrading of those parts. Besides that its truly been a pleasure to own and I look forward to keeping it for many years to come.

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I didn't read what others thought. I wanted to put up my honest opinion. My first and only 2015. ive owned many, however this one is the first 550...... love the car....the seats are not comfortable. 59,000 and it needs the fourth set of tires....it's a v6 and I don't drive it hard at all. They claim the alignment is spot on however you can stand behind it and see the rear tires tip in. I Also had an issue on dirt roads with dust getting inside if a window was cracked open. this spring I need to find out how a mouse got in......yup also found out how the dust got in. On each side of the trunk after removing the side panels I found 5 holes that never got sealed at the factory. To sum things up...............five trips after buying the car FORD refuses to admit that this one has the drivline vib... not bad but noticiable. So with that said I won't buy another one once I trade this one off, sell it or drive it in the ground. I would get a 14 or older.

Sponsored

SilverMustang2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017?
76k bought at 64k about a year ago. Base 2015 GT 6MT
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)?
Daily driver including winter use
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation?
Decent so far

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems?
Yes had AC recharged been good since
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed?

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities?
Feels clunky when cold, oncedriven a couple miles/warmed up it feels fantastic. No lockout issues even shifting fast over 7kRPM
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder?
none

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns?
N/A

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues?
No measurable amount using Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5k intervals
Only engine issue is an occasional small evap leak code

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017?
No

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)?
Small bubbles on edge of hood
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window?
No

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? 24k
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? DD for first two years, now GQ
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? Expectations met (Original Owner)

Aside from listed below, I had a drivers rear wheel bearing go bad around 20k miles and the car had the 50-70mph vibration which was fixed by rebalancing the drivehsaft.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? Yes
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed? EVAP failure around 20k

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? only shift lockout on WOT 2/3, fixed by MGW
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? No

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns? N/A

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? None
- VCT issues? None
- Intake (IMRC) issues? Yes, around 21-22k miles
- Water pump issues? No
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) No
- OPG issues? No
- If engine has been replaced, why? Original Engine

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? Yes, currently on the latest Sync 3 3.0
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? Android Auto was added with initial update from Sync 3 1.0 to 2.2. I have not added the USB port required for CarPlay.

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? No
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? No

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Rhd PP U.K. model.
Sept 16 build, owned from new
17k miles always garaged.
no oil use
1st - 2nd gear high rpm lock out prone so I change up early.
Hood and fender replaced under corrosion warranty.
Lose drive shaft nut from factory. Spotted and fixed before it destroyed the wheel bearing.
Lose cam cover bolts from factory, checked annually now.
No sync issues.
No AC issues.
Failed steering wheel control module out of warranty.
Too much drive line shunt from sloppy diff and prop shaft from new.
No intake manifold issues as it’s swapped for the gt350 one.

MGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP MT
I posted a similar thread in the 50th LE forum. After thinking about it, maybe it is be better to ask the larger 2015-2017 Coyote 5.0 M6G Community about ownership experience, since these were the "intro" S550 5.0's that went through most of the growing pains... This thread may also help perspective buyers of a 2015-2017 S550 5.0.

For ONLY the 2015-2017 S550 Coyote 5.0, please add your Ownership experiences here, being that the vehicles have now aged 5-7 years after production.

1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? 2017 MT, PP, Second owner, 19,400.
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? Garage Queen for now, gonna drive it more this year.
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? The car was purchased September 2021, driven about 1,100 miles since and has needed no service and has been maintained and met my performance expectations currently.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? No, I run the AC 15 minutes each time it's driven to cycle the system, works fine.
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed? NA

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? No, long throws for a small shifter and plan to replace it at some point, last car was a Celica All-Trac that was less notchy, hope the last owner didn't smash the synchros.
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? No.

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns?

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? No.
- VCT issues? No.
- Intake (IMRC) issues? No.
- Water pump issues? No.
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) No.
- OPG issues? No.
- If engine has been replaced, why? NA

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? No.
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components. No.
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? No.

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? No.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? No.
The car had surface rust on the inside bumper frame seams, it was treated with Eastwood Textured Rust Encapulator 4 months ago and looks to have stopped it.

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? No.

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Conv. 16 Cadi SRX 18 Cadi XT5
1) Basic -
- 2016 – 31,000 miles

- Daily driver in summer, garaged in winter

2) A/C System -
- No A/C or Evap issues

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? - None
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? - None

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? - None
- - Intake (IMRC) issues? - None
- Water pump issues? - None
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) - None
- OPG issues? - None
-
6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? - Yes
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? No

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? None
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? - None

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? No

Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Had a 16 GT, AT. Daily driver...probably sold it with around 22K on it in 2018.
Had the evap core issue. Pain in the ass-once that was sorted had no other issues
No issues with AT other than it is a busy/wired transmission...never really bothered me.
Had a paint issue around one of the hood vents...touched it up with touch up paint so it wasn't getting worse when I sold it.
No engine issues - only mod was a catch can
I enjoyed the car but enjoy my Mach 1 more. If I had kept the 16, a louder exhaust was going on...way too quiet. I think my 21 is louder in quiet mode.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
1) Basic -
- Miles: 65,000; tuned since 48,000 with Catless ARH Headers, Ported 18+ Mani, 18+ OEM CAI
- Daily driver / beat the garbage out of it
- Long term experience: As a daily, it's come with its quirks. Couple small parts replaced due to wear from heavy spirited driving and such. Never let me down on the side of the road. Absolute blast to drive.

2) A/C System -
- Zero issues

3) MT82 -
- Zero issues. A couple 3rd gear lockouts early on but now I just shift it as fast as the trans wants to shift the 2-3. It's a slower shift but the trans has lasted and I have zero wear issues and haven't been locked out in a few years now. I suspect my clutch and slave is on the edge of its life being at my mileage with how I've driven it, but still no noises, chatter, or slipping.

4) Engine
- If engine has been replaced, why? The original engine when I bought the car new from the dealership developed a wrist pin knock. It was still during the break-in period, and nothing was being pushed hard. Given the relatively nonexistent number of reports on coyotes having wrist pin issues, the dealership and I decided it was either a manufacturing or assembly error made when the car was being built. New engine was installed under warranty. The new engine since has been a treat. It does have the BBQ tick but so far it seems to be a nonissue other than the noise that is actually very hard to hear.
- Oil consumption: None
- VCT issues: None
- Intake (IMRC) issues: Original intake manifold had a cracked IMRC shaft after 2 years. Ford had it replaced over the weekend.
- Water pump issues: None
- Timing system issues: None
- OPG issues: None

5) SYNC -
- Upgraded Sync? It hasn't been upgraded over whatever came with the car when I bought it new. It has Apple CarPlay, it works, and I use it. That's pretty much it.
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Nope
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? Apple CarPlay came already installed.

6) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? Small spot above the driver side headlight just under the lip of the hood. Not really a concern because the car already has paint chips and such from track usage and daily driving it. Already had plans to go with an aftermarket hood anyways.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? Nope

7) Tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? Nope, too expensive and gimmicky for my taste. I live outside the city limits so starting volume doesn't concern me. They also don't really write loud exhaust tickets where I live.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
2016 GT ordered January 28, 2016. Delivered March 22, 2016

37,3xx miles

Daily (retired), road trips.

Only reliability issue was factory battery died in 2nd year. Replaced under warranty which was
itself replaced with a Bosch in October 2019.

A/C has never been turned off. Only A/C issue was some electronic glitch. For last few hours of a 5,000 mile road trip in 2018, blew warm air on driver side and number of fan speeds were cut in half. Disconnected battery for 10 minutes. A/C fine since then.

No problem with MT82 but factory shifter replaced with MGW early on.

No engine issues.

Sync on latest version.

No paint issues. FWIW, all front, rear and upper surfaces were re-clear coated after Velocity Blue Super Snake stripes were painted on.

Yes, some people have tried to add active exhaust but I haven't.

Factory options: 401A, Premier Trim (Red Line), PP with nickel wheels, ACC, NAV, etc..

Mods: BMR jacking rails and CB005, MGW shifter, Ice White tails, GT350R strut brace and steering wheel, Legato exhaust, 50th Anniversary grill, CDC Outlaw spoiler, painted stripes, coil cover, strut brace, etc..

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
1) Basic -
Race Red 2017 Base with 3.55 rear end purchased new 32K Miles.
Daily when working in the office, road trip car and now autox in CAMC
Clutch failed at 24K miles and was fixed under warranty

2) A/C System -
No issues

3) MT82 -
Replaced fluid with BG Synchro Shift 2 - made big improvements in noise and shifting. Now shift very well.
No Slave Cyl issues

4) 6R80 -
NA

5) Engine -
Burned a little oil for the first 7K miles and nothing after that
Has a type-writer tick that was cleared up with Ceratec
No other issues

6) SYNC -
No - don't care

7) Paint/Corrosion -
No - car is garaged and kept clean but not to excess

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust?
Not me
Qtr View.jpg

Last edited:

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
2017, base, A6, 28,500 miles, daily driver 12 mo a yr, car is/has been perfect
no issues with 1-6 still orig brakes as no road racing.
this car lives at 80-90mph all the time, no oil burning at all. It has the bubbling along edge of hood.
Sponsored

Last edited: