2015-2017 S550 Coyote 5.0 Ownership input

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
2015 Premium PP Recaro. Currently 70k. Bought it used with 28k. Was a daily but only driven 5k in the last year because I now have a company vehicle.

Minor mods for now. Mostly small suspension stuff, a K&N intake and tinted lenses. Car had an axle back exhaust when I bought it and I added an H-pipe resonator delete.

Had the car on a road course twice. Quite exciting to run 130+ with every seatbelt in use.

Love the car but........

MT82 issues:
Notchy, grinding when cold. Fluid change didn't help. 3 dealers told me this was normal and there were no issues. Installed Exedy 500 clutch kit. Finally had the trans re-built with an extended warranty. 2nd gear was chowdered and synchros were wasted. Independent shop was able to source some of the upgraded Calimer parts for the rebuild and I had them install an MGW shifter. Still shifts shitty when cold. Not a big fan of the MGW at this point. Currently Redline fluid.

Paint:
Bubbling on edges of aluminum Hood. Dealer refused to cover it while under warranty period. Eventually will replace the hood with a CF or Cervini's GT 500.

No A/C issues

No oil consumption issues. Installed a catch can that didn't catch anything over 3 oil changes.

Nav and SYNC are fine
Sponsored

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
Great thread!
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017?
2017 GT PerfPack Shadow Black 26700 miles
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)?
Daily driver
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation?
Much better than expected reliability but not without a few issues...
- driveshaft vibration over 80mph when new. Seems to have almost disappeared. Don't know how that's possible.
-Drivers side window not working intermittently. Dielectric grease applied to the window switch plug seems to have worked.
-drivers side rear wheel bearing needed re-torquing.
- slight oil weep from bolt on timing cover. Thread sealer applied to the bolt took care of it.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems?
None
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed?

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities?
Notchy but has been reliable with no issues. Installed Blowfish Bracket and BG fluid change at 15k miles
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder?
No issues

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns?

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues?
Passenger side Ford Racing catch can accumulates about 2oz. Oil every 3k miles
- VCT issues?
None
- Intake (IMRC) issues?
None
- Water pump issues?
None
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.)
None
- OPG issues?
None
- If engine has been replaced, why?

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017?
Have the base radio.
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components.
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto?

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)?
Hood corrosion along the leading edge where the outer skin seam seals to the inner skin. Multiple areas. I dremmel and paint touch up before they migrate to the hood top. Not noticeable on Shadow Black.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window?
None
8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust?

SnkBitten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snkbitten.com
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1) Basic -
Bought used, have 38k miles, daily driver. I've had the car for about a year now, meets all my expectations for what I was looking for when buying

2) A/C System -
No AC issues.

3) MT82 -
No issues so far

5) Engine -
- VCT issues?
- Intake (IMRC) issues?
- Water pump issues?
- OPG issues?
No issue for the above.

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017?
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components.
Did a 4" to 8" Sync2 to Sync3 swap with Sync3 version 3.4 with Android Auto used daily. Great upgrade!

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window?
No issues so far.

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Great thread, and what I need for the future. I wish I could comment of most of this:

1) Basic -
Bought it right before the winter last year with 3,000 miles. YES 3k. Only put about 1,000 miles on her so far. Garage Queen of course. Previous owner said it never seen rain and it shows. I'll try to keep it that way as this is not a daily.

2) A/C System -
Works, no issues

3) MT82 -
No issues. Like someone said it is grabby in 40 degree weather until it gets warm. But I plan for the BG change very soon

4) 6R80 -
Skip, manual

5) Engine -
Haven't noticed anything yet

6) SYNC -
I believe it is the latest version. no issues. But I just Bluetooth to the phone, simple

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Paint is flawless

Ordering Xforce Varex catback this week. Thought about the 2018+ active, but the Xforce is a better option. Plus I wanted 3inch tubing for future plans.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Am I the highest mileage on here so far? 2015 GT with 107,000 miles. Daily driver, and I beat on my car harder than most people treat rentals lol

Got a paxton supercharger I installed in my front yard with hand tools and a lot of alcohol. AC works great except a blend door motor that went out (passenger side foot well is stuck on full cold).

6r80 works great, no issues with boost or 100k miles. Engine runs like new, never replaced motor and burns no oil. No catch can, original OPG, original pumps, timing chain system etc etc...

Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
1) Basic -
2015. Bought at 51,000 miles, currently 74,000.
Daily.
Great car, two disappointments.

2) A/C System -
Yes.
A/C Compressor failed in Summer 2020. Replaced. (Disappointment 1)

3) MT82 -
No.
No.

4) 6R80 -
n/a

5) Engine -
- VCT issues?
- Intake (IMRC) issues?
- Water pump issues?
- OPG issues?
IMRC, had to replace intake manifold 9/2021 (Disappointment #2). Doubly annoying since, according to what I've learned, this issue goes back into 2-valve 4.6's in the 1990's. Took four months to get the intake manifold (supply chain joys.)

6) SYNC -
Still as-purchased.
No.
n/a

7) Paint/Corrosion -
No. So far, so good. (Garaged at home.)

Nothing so far (convertible).

Keeping it stock.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
1) Basic - 2017 GT 401A California Special
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? 34,082
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? Garage Queen and Drag Racer
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? So far everything has been good. The more I mod it though the less I trust its reliability. But only a few issues so far.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? AC just went out last week.
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed? Appears to be the AC Compressor as it had plenty of freon and pressure. My motorcraft compressor should arrive today actually.

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? N/A
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? N/A

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns? No issues so far even with 750rwhp.

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? None so far 8 quarts in and 8 quarts out.
- VCT issues? None
- Intake (IMRC) issues? None, but they've been gone for 2 years now(Whipple)
- Water pump issues? (when i had my OPGs done they said it was leaking so we replaced it)
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) None
- OPG issues? Replaced with the blower but no issues either way
- If engine has been replaced, why? Stock motor

6) SYNC -
Mine is a 2017 so I had the newer Sync when i got it.
I added a 2018 Digital Dash and its awesome.
2017 Came with this factory.

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Fingers crossed not yet.
Fingers crossed not yet.

I added a GT350 rear valance and a GT350 Active Catback I control with the AWE GT350 remote control kit. Works like a charm. Nice having the 2 modes.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I posted a similar thread in the 50th LE forum. After thinking about it, maybe it is be better to ask the larger 2015-2017 Coyote 5.0 M6G Community about ownership experience, since these were the "intro" S550 5.0's that went through most of the growing pains... This thread may also help perspective buyers of a 2015-2017 S550 5.0.

For ONLY the 2015-2017 S550 Coyote 5.0, please add your Ownership experiences here, being that the vehicles have now aged 5-7 years after production.

1) Basic -

2) A/C System -

3) MT82 -

4) 6R80 -

5) Engine -
- VCT issues?
- Intake (IMRC) issues?
- Water pump issues?
- OPG issues?

6) SYNC -

7) Paint/Corrosion -

2017 GT Premium PP Roush Phase 2 daily driver Haven't had one issue with this car. Best automobile I've ever owned. .

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? ~94k
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? Daily driver, occasional track/autocross
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? No major issues, I've replaced one rear wheel bearing at ~80k miles. The rear camera stopped working when I was within the warranty period so the dealership replace it, it will very occasionally fail to turn on (~5 times a year total). Intake was replaced under warranty due to cylinder misfire.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? no

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? No. 5th gear engagement used to be a little notchy but it is not an issue at the moment, possibly related to changing the transmission fluid to BG.

4) 6R80 -

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? No
- VCT issues? No
- Intake (IMRC) issues? Yes, replaced due to misfire
- Water pump issues? no
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) no
- OPG issues? no

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? No, I still have 2015 Sync
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components. No
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? No

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? Slight bubbling/chipping right at the front of the hood. It's relatively small but growing, I may repaint this year.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? No

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? I have not

MagCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Magnetic(sold) '21 GT Prem PP1 MR G
2015 Premium 401A, Magnetic, 6R80.

Daily driven from purchase date (6/15) till traded on current 2021 in Jan 2021. Had 45k miles and still drove/ran great.

Had EVAP changed at 18k and then EVAP + compressor at 34k. Only issues I ever had with the car.

NAV and SYNC worked perfect and updated.

No oil consumption.

Minus a rock chip or two, paint was as good as the day it was purchased.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
1) Basic -
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? - Currently ~74k miles and the car is 2016 model year.
- Daily driver, Garage Queen or Race (Drag/Road/Auto Cross)? - Was a daily driver but now is mostly a garage queen. Drive it 1 to 2 times per week.
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? - No issues with reliability, I bought my beater about a year ago partially because I love the mustang so much I want to keep for as long as I still love it or it starts giving me major problem.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? - Yes EVAP core is leaking slowing, I haven't replaced because I have a friend who is a mechanic and he fills it when it starts to blow cool to warm air.
- If problem, was it the A/C compressor or EVAP that failed? - It's the EVAP that's failed but I'm waiting until it's worse before replacing.

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? - Not really, it's cold blooded but once warmed up it's fine. I have Boomba trans and shifter mounts plus BG Sycro II fluid swapped. That helps quite a bit.
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? - No

4) 6R80 -
Any issues with harsh shifts or valve body concerns? - n/a

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? - Not really, maybe a quarter of a quart between oil changes
- VCT issues? - no
- Intake (IMRC) issues? - no
- Water pump issues? - no
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) - no
- OPG issues? - no
- If engine has been replaced, why? - no

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? - no
- Have you upgraded SYNC to the 2018+ SYNC? Upgrading to the 2018+ may require swapping of the APIM or other components. - no
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? - no

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? - minor corrosion on the hood above the drivers side headlight.
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? - No

I have some minor corrosion on the bottom of the passenger side door. Both spots are tough to see and I only notice when washing the car.

8) Has anyone tried to add the 2018+ Active Exhaust? - No, running Roush H-pipe and axel backs but not active.

kaibab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big D
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible California special
Only problem was with the back up camera wires being pinched and broken and camera bad also. I replaced myself on my dime and labor just to recently find out ford has a tsb out and they will repair free. UGGG... Great ride other wise with all systems a go.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
1) Basic -

10,600 (yeah, it's mostly a garage queen, a pure toy)

More little things have gone wrong than I'd hoped, particularly, the rear view camera that has been a problem since the day I bought it, and a window side molding wore out (astonishing for a car that's kept garaged and covered and rarely driven in the rain). But I still love the car.

2) A/C System

No problems so far.

3) MT82

It had the same coarseness others have experienced.

I added a Blowfish Racing shifter bracket, and changed the trans fluid to Synchro Shift 2 and it's a completely different transmission. So much smoother and easier shifting! These two simple mods are the best deal for the money. A couple of hundred dollars totally transforms the feel of the transmission. No more crunching, no more missed shifts or hanging up in gears, and infinitely smoother.

4) 6R80

No

5) Engine

The only problem has been that it was a real oil burner until just recently. Would go through 1 quart every 500 miles. At around 8,000 miles a friend of mine who is a former Ford Ex VP connected me with a senior guy in Ford service. he suggested I 'drive the car like I was a teenager'. He thought the problem was that the rings had never properly seated (truth be told, even though I followed a proper break in procedure, at 63 I'm no longer a street racer and didn't beat on the car).

Amazingly, it seems to have worked. Since then oil consumption has been about 1 quart per 3,000 miles, which I can live with (since that's my oil change interval).

6) SYNC

Upgraded to a Sync 3 kit from Hextall, with Navigation and Apple CarPlay. There was some finickiness initially - my phone wouldn't connect Apple CarPlay if the BlueTooth was still on, but seems fine connecting by cable if I first turn BlueTooth off. It's beyond a world of difference compared with the balky, obsolete, primitive 'My Ford Touch' system the car came with.

7) Paint/Corrosion

None. Other than a couple of tiny paint chips, the car looks as good as new.

No, but I did install a Mishimoto H-pipe and removed the factory resonator. The result is about a 20%-ish increase in overall volume, but much more importantly, it now sounds like an old-school 1960's Mustang, a deeper, more rumbly bass note. It now sounds the way I think it should!

mattrubt12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Manual
1) Basic - 2017 GT Premium PP White Platinum
- How many miles on your 2015-2017? bought used at 4100 back on Nov. '17 and sold on Oct '21 at 45K for a 2020 GT
- Daily driver- added Power pack 2, corsa extreme cat back, oil separator, after market steering wheel, barton shifter.
- Long term ownership experience to date as far as reliability and expectation? Decent reliability.

2) A/C System -
- Any issues with the A/C or common EVAP core problems? No

3) MT82 -
- Any issues with the gearbox operation or shifting functionalities? Shifting would lock out with normal acceleration, changed to a Barton short throw never had any issues since.
- Any issues with clutch slave cylinder? NO

4) 6R80 -

5) Engine -
- Oil consumption issues? No
- VCT issues? NO
- Intake (IMRC) issues? No
- Water pump issues? No
- Timing system issues (chain, guides, etc.) No
- OPG issues? No

6) SYNC -
- Have you upgraded your 2015-2017 SYNC to the most current version available for 2015-2017? Was updated.
- Have you added Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? Came with the '17 model year.

7) Paint/Corrosion -
Any issues with hood (rust, corrosion or peeling)? No issues
Any issues with corrosion in drainage channels at front windshield or rear window? None

Did have to replace the front lower control arms at 20K since the ball joints had failed.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
1. 2016 GTPP bougth brand new dic 2015. Its not my daily driver but yes my weekend warrior has 16,500miles. The miles it has are pure racing miles never had one single problem only the a/c.
Other things that failed was the left proyector light of the pony and the back up camara both given under warranty.

2. A/C evaporator went out and the airconditioning compressor, the evaporator was given under warranty the compressor they did not give it under warranty.
Its been the only negative on this car.

3. I love the mt82 i dont know why it gets so much hate have never had one single proble with it and i really race hard the car.

4. Engine no issues whatsoever it has a lund tune cattdeletes and cattback exhaust with a drop in air filter.

5. I bought from hellhorseperformance the sync2 to sync3 conversion kit and love it also use android auto a lot.

6. No paint issues only rock chips on the front bumper due to racing.

Car has been great i love it. Especially coming from bmws which where so unreliable.
Sponsored