Sponsored

2015/2016 EU Mustang - Shaking at higher speeds

Patrickisnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP competition orange
Hello,

I have never made a thread before but I am searching for information about a problem I am currently having with my Mustang.

I have a 2016 GT and last year December I bought new wheels for my stang (Schmidt TWENTY ONEs - 20" with 285/35 Back and 255/35 Front) and I have been experiencing some shaking at speeds between 120Km/h and 160km/h. I then had the stock wheels put back on with winter tires and the shaking was completely gone. Now I know one could say it´s because of the new wheels but...

.. I tried some American Muscle wheels with the same measurements as the new wheels and they shake but only starting at 160km/h.

The new wheels have been balanced twice and the tires are Continental Sport contact 6 tires.

The steering wheel doesn´t shake though. It feels more like the car as a whole is shaking.

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this problem or may know what the cause is?

Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Just a guess, but it could be a out of round tire or rim.
several years ago I had same issue with a bmw. Had wheels balanced and still did it. Turned out 2 rims were out of true.
Apparently a pothole or something must have caused it.

I would start by having each wheel run on a balancer whilst looking for runout on either axis.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I had something similar when I had new tires mounted. I went to a different tire shop and had them balance my wheels. Problem was solved
Sponsored