OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
Sounds like you may be a complete novice at HPDE's? If so, put fresh brake fluid in it and enjoy the ride. THEN, if you really get hooked, look into tire, suspension, and brake upgrades.
Yes, I'm a complete novice & sorta nervous about it. :eek:
Sponsored

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
When searching online for a pre-owned V6, how can one with the 3.55:1 gear ratio with limited-slip rear differential option be identified?
When seeing one in person, how does someone who's not mechanically inclined identify the option?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think the differential housing looks different (different material) so you'd have to get under the car and know what the 3.15 looks like compared to 3.55. Both are Trac-Lok LSDs though.

3.15 is aluminum, 3.55 is cast iron.

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its a shame the V6 didn't get the performance pack option. The good news is that a lot of the PP parts especially suspension, brakes can be swapped over to the V6 easily, and can be found pretty cheap here. I had a V6 and really liked the car, and I'd happily be driving it today if I had not test driven and fallen in love with the sound of the V8.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Don't even consider modifying the suspension until after you've done a few events and actually know what you're doing. For novice drivers, the car is almost never the problem (hint: its the unskilled driver).

The stock V6 should do fine. Just make sure you have fresh brake fliud with no air in the lines (and consider upgrading to a higher temp fluid if you're flushing it anyway), check and make sure you have at least half of your brake pads left and that your tires are in good condition with plenty of tread.

If you like it and if you stick with it, eventually you'll probably want better brakes (track pads at least) and a dedicated set of wheels and tires. Down the road, if there are things you discover you don't like about how the car handles, then maybe consider changes to the suspension then. No need to rush to spend a bunch of money on suspension 'upgrades' that may be entirely a waste of money or even make the car handle worse.

Novice track drivers almost never push the car anywhere close to how hard you can really drive it, usually the self-preservation instinct kicks in long before you're exhausting the limits of the stock car.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
A stock car works fine. Learning to drive to the limits of your car is what road courses are all about.

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M

The stock V6 should do fine. Just make sure you have fresh brake fliud with no air in the lines (and consider upgrading to a higher temp fluid if you're flushing it anyway), check and make sure you have at least half of your brake pads left and that your tires are in good condition with plenty of tread.

Novice track drivers almost never push the car anywhere close to how hard you can really drive it, usually the self-preservation instinct kicks in long before you're exhausting the limits of the stock car.
A stock car works fine. Learning to drive to the limits of your car is what road courses are all about.
Great advice! :cheers:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
For seldom track use & stock for stock, would you prefer a 2014 V6 with the Performance Package or 2015 V6 without it?

:shrug:

If he gets the itch he will replace everything anyway. I have one word to say: Independent rear suspension!
Since I’m not the first he will also replace the brakes and hint: they will not be Brembos. Also the bushing but if he goes all out the car will be undrivable on the street.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
If he gets the itch he will replace everything anyway. I have one word to say: Independent rear suspension!
Since I’m not the first he will also replace the brakes and hint: they will not be Brembos. Also the bushing but if he goes all out the car will be undrivable on the street.

I'm right here. :D

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
The stock 2 piston brakes on the v6 won’t do well on a track. An upgrade to the 4pots from the base v8/ turbo performance pack would be a good start combined with better tires.

Sponsored

MadMB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang v6
I've tracked at AAA Fontana Speedway ROVAL and what stood out to upgrade was stiffer suspension, upgraded brakes and some wider tires to help put down the power. You can really feel the stock suspension limitations on this track.

OP
OP
PDX.Stang

PDX.Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6M
I've tracked at AAA Fontana Speedway ROVAL and what stood out to upgrade was stiffer suspension, upgraded brakes and some wider tires to help put down the power. You can really feel the stock suspension limitations on this track.
Yeah, wider wheels/tires, brakes & suspension seem to be the general consensus. It's a shame there isn't a strut bar made for it.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The other bracing would be more beneficial to it as well such as the cowl, firewall extension, and lower k braces. If you want, you can fit the PP strut tower brace in too, just a close fit. I've got mine with some washers for now, but there are some others that have modified it by bending or by using an extra STB to cut the feet and use that to raise it while still allowing forces to travel through properly.

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
+1 @NightmareMoon

Go out a couple times and see how you like it. A buddy went out with his Audi A7 his first three events. He liked it so much he bought a dedicated track car. Also, look for a good organization that can teach you proper technique and track etiquette. Most HPDE drivers are friendly and helpful.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My concern would be with the base brakes. Even at 200lb's lighter than a GT, the Mustang is still rather heavy. And the smaller brakes probably more than "make up" for the weight reduction.

First time out keep at eye out when you go faster as you gain confidence that you don't run into brake fade issues.
Sponsored