Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
I posted this over in another thread, but it's a good summary of what we know for sure at this point:
I like to summarize things as the information is a bit scattered, here is a summary of what we know regarding the differences in oil viscosity specifications across the various Coyote based Mustangs:

S197 Chassis (1st Gen 5.0)
2011-2014 Mustang GT - 5W-20 for US and no oil cooler
2011-2014 Mustang GT Track Pack - 5W-50 with water to oil cooler, ECU calibration has neutered over temperature safeties to my knowledge unlike the regular GT's for this generation.
2013-2014 Mustang Boss 302 - 5W-50 with water to oil cooler and a special variant of the 5.0 code named Road Runner (higher strength powder forged rods, re-balanced crank, higher valve lift, stiffer valve springs, CNC ported heads, oil squirters deleted, high flow intake manifold, rev limit at 7,400 rpm). ECU calibration has neutered over temperature safeties.

S550 Chassis (2nd Gen 5.0)
2015-2017 Mustang GT - 5W-20 for US with 1" radiator and water to oil cooler, Australian version 5W-20 original spec, switched to 5W-30 spec, UK version spec 5W-20 like US. ECU has over temperature safeties.
2015-2017 Mustang GT Performance Package - 5W-20 for US with 1.5" radiator and water to oil cooler, Australian version 5W-20 original spec, switched to 5W-30 spec, UK version spec 5W-20 like US. ECU has over temperature safeties.
2015-2017 Shelby GT350 - 5W-50 with water to oil cooler for US only, Voodoo 5.2L FPC engine. ECU has over temperature safeties.
2015-2017 Shelby GT350R + Track Pack - 5W-50 with air to oil cooler and differential cooler for US only, Voodoo 5.2L FPC engine. ECU has over temperature safeties.

S550 Chassis (3rd Gen 5.0)
2018-2019 Mustang GT - 5W-20 for Street and 5W-30 for Track as per user manual, 1" radiator and water to oil cooler, Australian and UK version same oil specifications. ECU has over temperature safeties.
2018-2019 Mustang GT Performance Package Level 1 and 2 - 5W-20 for Street and 5W-30 for Track as per user manual, 1.5" radiator and water to oil cooler, Australian and UK version same oil specifications. ECU has over temperature safeties.
2018-2019 Shelby GT350/R - 5W-50 with air to oil cooler and differential cooler for US only, Voodoo 5.2L FPC engine. Track Pack cooling is now standard on all variants due to the significant customer complaints with the earlier ones over heating (non-track pack). ECU has over temperature safeties.

Ford Racing School 2015 Mustang GT Performance Package cars are upgraded with a custom Air to Oil cooler, larger radiator, full racing seats, 4 point harness and roll cage, Ford Performance Track Handling Pack but run a bone stock 5.0L V8 on the factory ECU calibration for 2015 models. They run Castrol Edge Supercar 5W-50 and a FL-500S filter. I e-mailed them and those are the specs they provided including pictures of their air to oil cooler.

Things we know about the ECU tuning: Cam phasor control tables for the Voodoo 5.2L appear to be identical to those in the regular Coyote 5.0L. Voodoo 5.2L calls for 5W-50 all the time while the 5.0L ranges from 5W-20, 5W-30 and 5W-50 in it's various iterations throughout the last eight years (2011 up to 2019) and including different oil viscosity specifications for Australian 2015-2017 Mustang GT's than their US and UK counterparts. Also on OP from the UK said his Ford UK dealer refused to honor warranty with anything less than 5W-30. While that was just a single dealer, he seemed to indicate it was one of the larger Ford dealers in the UK.

Ford Shop Manual Rod Bearing-to-Crank Clearance Range: 0.0011 to 0.0027 inches. The nominal (average) clearance of the extreme spread int he spec is 0.0019 inches. I believe to the best of my knowledge the bearing shells are supplied by Clevite (a sub-company of Mahle).

Ford Coyote 5.0L Rod Journal Dia. size is 2.082 inches according to Ford Racing's Basic Engine Dimensions spec sheet. Clevite recommends 0.0007" clearance added for ever 1" of bearing size and +0.0005 clearance on top for performance engine builds. So (0.0007 * 2.082) + 0.0005 = 0.00196" Rod Bearing-to-Crank Journal clearance.

Gee, this is exactly what the nominal clearance on the both the Coyote 5.0L production engine is and ALSO on the Ford Performance Aluminator Voodoo 5.2L with Manly forged rods and Mahle forged pistons as per their data sheet that is rated at 580 HP - 445 ft-lbs torque with an 8,250 RPM rev limit. Am I missing anything? Maybe at last we can put to rest the debate about weather a production 5.0 can safely run higher viscosity oils and why the differences generation to generation.

Also note just for reference, the 5th Gen LT1 based Camaro SS (6th gen Alpha Chassis) calls for 5W-30 for normal operations and 0W-40 or 5W-40 for track use. While it can run on 87, the user manual advises to run 91 octane and that pinging may occur on lower octanes. The Hemi 392 (6.4L) calls for 0W-40 all the time and requires a minimum of 91 octane.
Sponsored

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion, PUP 0W-40 would be a good alternative track oil over MC or Lucas 5W-50's. However Lucas 5W-50 was formulated for Ford's spec and is used in the Cobra Jet drag cars, so it's also a good option. Ss I've shared, GTL base stocks are VERY robust for their cost and perform on par with PAO blends, they are highly temperature stable (shear resistant) due to the nearly 80% Isoparaffin concentration compared to off the shelf Group III's that only have 40% Isoparaffins and 60% Naphthalene. This allows for better temperature stability and oxidation resistance among other things. GTL oils perform extremely well in UOA's and rival or even surpass iron wear metal concentrations of boutique oils like Amsoil.

Ferrari North America only has one oil supplier currently approved for use in their cars and it's one of Penzoil's GTL based Euro formulas. GTL base stocks rival PAO's in over all performance but at a much lower cost. All of Dodge's super charged 392 variants require 0W-40 and come factory filled with Penzoil's Ultra Platinum 0W-40.

One of the Penske Viper race teams actually runs production 0W-40 in their Viper ACR 24hr Lemans production race cars, they do NOT run a special race formula as is common in NASCAR etc. Some really good oil for it's price, even if it's not the absolute best, it's hard to beat at it's price point.

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
The Ultimate Street / HPDE Dual Purpose Setup in my opinion is as follows:

3. Stick with the paper filter for street for Power Pack's 2 or 3. Engine wear is directly related to particle size and concentration. Paper filters simply filter out more and finer particles that cause piston ring wear and bearing wear than all of the oiled cotton filters on the market. For Power Pack 2 and 3, the conical paper filter will out flow any oiled cotton panel filter that would fit in the stock air box while providing better particular filtration efficiency...your not missing out. Save the oiled cotton conical filter for a drag strip hero run or HPDE track session.

Filter Types - The conical paper filter in the Power Packs 2 and 3 flow as much as air as the conical synthetic dry filters but with 2x the dust capacity and flow only a little less than the conical oiled cotton filters. The oiled cotton filters are best saved for drag strip or HPDE use only. ALL of the re-usable filters (dry and oiled cotton) actually have REDUCED filtering capacity after being washed, not all of the particulates get out. So not only do they clog up 2x to 3x faster (due to much lower capacity), it becomes reduced even further after subsequent re-uses. So unless you clean your air filter every 5,000 to 10,000 miles, your average flow over the use interval will likely be WORSE than the paper filters. That's why even the track specific GT350 comes with a paper filter stock. What's the point of having a filter that flows better than the paper filter for 5,000 miles but then flows less the next 5,000 miles? I'd rather have consistency and durability!
Sorry for my question, but I've been seeing several stores and I can't find the paper filter for pack 2 or 3.

I suppose we'll have to remove the yellow filter that comes with the pack and replace it with a paper one, or what model is it?

Thank you

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
The yellow filter that comes with the PP2 or PP3 is a paper filter.

Replacement part number OEM FR3Z-9601-B, Motorcraft FA1922, or Wix WA10429

Last edited:

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its literally the GT350 factory air filter. Wix has a clone of it for $29 or you can fins the original motorcraft one for about $36 online using the OE partnumbers listed above.

Sponsored

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for my question, but I've been seeing several stores and I can't find the paper filter for pack 2 or 3.

I suppose we'll have to remove the yellow filter that comes with the pack and replace it with a paper one, or what model is it?

Thank you
The yellow filter is cellulose aka paper. No need to replace it if its new as its the GT350 OE filter. I'm advising againt replacing it with a reusable synthetic filter because your either giving up filter efficiency (oiled cotton) or significant filter capacity (dry flow types) for 5-7hp at best and since all the reusable filters clog much faster you wont get any gains once it starts to saturate. Just doesnt make sense on a street car.

Save the oiled cottons one for a track session / drag pass / auto x, then swap it back out before you go back to daily driving. Takes only a few minutes. No need to add wear on the rings for street use.

Compression is power and wear on the rings is loss of power, more blow by which degrades oil and increases wear rates / corrosion on bearings etc. Making more power is one thing, continuing to make power is something completely different and requires a bit of critical thinking as to longer term impacts of changes over the life of the engine.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of good articles on oil viscosity and additive packages and how they affect wear:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

http://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=ecological_aspects_of_engine_bearings

Interestingly enough Clevite recomends a 0.00195" clearance for performance street engines with their Clevite77 bearing shells in a 2" bearing size and an oil producing 10 cSt at 100c as the ideal balance between drag losses and film strength. Clevite77 is the OE supplier for Ford.

Last edited:

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Long time lurker, first time poster! Finally in a s550 after getting rid of my sn95 after 18 years! The 2017 is a dream to drive. I’ve owned it two weeks and I’m ready to pull the trigger on the power pack 2 setup. What’s the best place to order from these days? I did some searching through this thread and the following seem like the popular spots:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...nce-intake-calibration-power-pack-p-5001.html

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/...IR-INTAKE-CALIBRATION-POWER-PACK-2_p_532.html

Any other suggestions? True Blue Racing Parts seems to be the best deal I’ve found. Thanks!

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Long time lurker, first time poster! Finally in a s550 after getting rid of my sn95 after 18 years! The 2017 is a dream to drive. I’ve owned it two weeks and I’m ready to pull the trigger on the power pack 2 setup. What’s the best place to order from these days? I did some searching through this thread and the following seem like the popular spots:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...nce-intake-calibration-power-pack-p-5001.html

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/...IR-INTAKE-CALIBRATION-POWER-PACK-2_p_532.html

Any other suggestions? True Blue Racing Parts seems to be the best deal I’ve found. Thanks!
Benny at Levitown Frod was very helpful, don't know about True Blue.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I used Leavittown. Fast shipping and msg in the sponsor section for a discount code. Benny is great to deal with.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Have heard Ford is raising the prices on Ford Performance Parts to non Ford Performance dealers...think parts ADM...might want to decide soon. I had mine on a shelf for a year debating whether or not to do it. I can tell you the PP2 has exceeded my expectations and I was truly surprised at the level of difference. Like most have said, the car should have come this way, but guessing that Ford didn't want to impose the octane requirement on everyone as it would probably hurt sales.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
For what it's worth, Levittown gives free shipping. I think I paid 608 all in.
And they give a Mustang6g forum code discount which amounted to free shipping for the pp3.
Sponsored