Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I'd NOT recommend using UPR's catch cans. They trap a lot of moisture which doesn't affect fuel octane, not the normal amounts the crank case sees that gets into the intake. So they tend to fill up rather fast and 70% of it is water which we don't care about. JLT's 3.0 catch can is a good option as is the Ford Performance offering. They both do a good job at trapping oil vapors without trapping lots of moisture. Mishimoto's is also promising and has an anti-slosh baffle.
Yeah, I have the UPR can on my car. You are correct about it catching water. I believe it's due to how far the can is placed from the engine (up front by radiator). It doesn't warm up very fast and will cause moisture in the warm vapors to condense when it hits the can. I called UPR about this and they agreed.

However, the can is deep and holds a lot of fluid. Also, I noted that it tends to do this more during daily driving in the cooler months. The engine temps take a while to warm the can in the bay during these periods.

I do a lot of HPDE's. When I change my oil before a driving event and empty the can, it never has water in it when I check it after the event. The engine warms the can up much faster and any moisture present in the vapors do not condense.

Would I consider a different oil catch can next time? Yep... but so far this one is working well for what I use it for. I've yet to see it get more then 1/4 full between oil changes.

FYI, you produce some good posts with solid info. :like:
Sponsored

Kevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Is there a way to datalog for knock after a pp3 install? I hooked up my sct bdx and it looks like they’ve turned off knock pid as it sits constant at 0.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I'm not saying upr cans are bad, dont get me wrong. They do great at catching oil. But yah they also cause a lot of condensate buildup and in my ecoboost it was 2/3 water and 1/3 oil. Id agree that their size compensates some what. I'm just not a fan of their quick disconnect fittings which on mine leaked a lot and the water issue. If I had one id just keep it but since I was starting fresh this time I went a different route.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Is there a way to datalog for knock after a pp3 install? I hooked up my sct bdx and it looks like they’ve turned off knock pid as it sits constant at 0.
It is my understanding you can use procal and their obdII link to data log on your laptop. Just buy a longer sub mini cable and set it in your passenger seat. I think procal can read the locked lids.pids

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
No, I didn't think you were saying that they were bad. I was just acknowledging what you said about them collecting water. They do work well, but I can see if you lived in a climate with bigger temperature extremes how it would fill up quicker. I'm in SoCal so the temperature swings are not as big.

Sponsored

0GMEDIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Black Accent Package
Did Ford Racing Performance ever do an update where it fixes the NLS so that you can disable it and not have the "stuttering" problem? This is the only reason I've been hesitant on buying the other power pack 2.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did Ford Racing Performance ever do an update where it fixes the NLS so that you can disable it and not have the "stuttering" problem? This is the only reason I've been hesitant on buying the other power pack 2.
There hasn't been an update to NLS to allow disabling it, I could be mistaken but I think the only time anyone has had the stutter is when they're leaving their foot on the clutch. I've had the kit for 7k miles now, and I've never had any trouble with it at all.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
There hasn't been an update to NLS to allow disabling it, I could be mistaken but I think the only time anyone has had the stutter is when they're leaving their foot on the clutch. I've had the kit for 7k miles now, and I've never had any trouble with it at all.
This.

freshjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Can anyone comment how the power pack 2 works in the winter?
I live in Canada and the GT is my daily driver. I have read a few reports of jerky throttle when cold.. can anyone comment on that?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Sorry folks, has prolly been beaten to death: Planning to install PP2 this weekend myself b/c I don't trust the folks at the dealership handling it/my car. Have general factory warranty until 2/19 (3y/36k) and drivetrain til 2/21 (5y/60k) I believe, as well as an extended premium warranty on everything until 8/23 (60k). Afaik, the PP2 install affects only the general factory warranty negatively, if not installed by dealership or ASE mechanic, and only if damage is caused by PP2. Other warranties are not affected, meaning, if PP2 causes damage after 3y/36k, you're always out of luck, regardless of who installed. Is that correct? Thanks!!

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Sorry folks, has prolly been beaten to death: Planning to install PP2 this weekend myself b/c I don't trust the folks at the dealership handling it/my car. Have general factory warranty until 2/19 (3y/36k) and drivetrain til 2/21 (5y/60k) I believe, as well as an extended premium warranty on everything until 8/23 (60k). Afaik, the PP2 install affects only the general factory warranty negatively, if not installed by dealership or ASE mechanic, and only if damage is caused by PP2. Other warranties are not affected, meaning, if PP2 causes damage after 3y/36k, you're always out of luck, regardless of who installed. Is that correct? Thanks!!
That's almost the jist of it.
PP2 doesn't really change the 3/36k warranty though. It changes the throttle body and intake duct work to the PP2 warranty from the 5/60k powertrain warranty... which is a different warranty on the same expiration schedule as the 3/36k Bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Side Note: I hit 60k with a self-installed PP2 yesterday. Doing just fine.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
That's almost the jist of it.
PP2 doesn't really change the 3/36k warranty though. It changes the throttle body and intake duct work to the PP2 warranty from the 5/60k powertrain warranty... which is a different warranty on the same expiration schedule as the 3/36k Bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Side Note: I hit 60k with a self-installed PP2 yesterday. Doing just fine.
Thanks for clarifying! I think I'll install myself.