Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My tuner got better numbers than having just the PP3 tune by Ford. I’ve seen a few people on this forum do the same. Plus, he added an e85 tune.
Sorry, what I meant was: given that people are buying the packages to protect warranty..
Or are you all out of warranty now and it’s time to play?
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
When I went from PP1 to PP2 I had to reload the stock tune before I could upload the PP2 tune. I did both installs myself. My car is at the dealer since Friday getting PP3. I decided to let them do it. They had trouble reloading the stock tune and then misplaced some wires and melted part of the harness and blew out the alternator. They're making it right at no charge to me, but now I wish I'd just taken a few hours to do it myself. Not trying to hijack just had to complain to people who understand. Looking forward to the power up top.
^^^^^ Why I went Lund and did it myself. The mechanics at our local dealer are dumb and dumber.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^^ Why I went Lund and did it myself. The mechanics at our local dealer are dumb and dumber.
I had to try and teach mine how to do a crank relearn...:headbonk:

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry, what I meant was: given that people are buying the packages to protect warranty..
Or are you all out of warranty now and it’s time to play?
I’m not really worried about the warranty, sure it would suck if something happened, but I’d just suck it up, and pay for it. Besides, they do have to prove that whatever happened to the car, was due to the upgrade that voided the warranty.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I bought it specifically for the warranty.

And, while it's true they "have to prove the failure is caused by an aftermarket part," it really boils down to them saying it was and then forcing you to prove it wasn't.

Sponsored

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

And, while it's true they "have to prove the failure is caused by an aftermarket part," it really boils down to them saying it was and then forcing you to prove it wasn't.
I can see them trying to pull something like that, I’m not too worried.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

Hence the desire for the Ford Performance warranty, because it would be the 2 to cover the warranty work, not the owner!

Mine is scheduled for install tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

They actually need proof. They can't just have a tech say...yeah, the tune caused it. Well, they can...but the court "should" throw it out.

Now if they have an engineer chime in and testify with expert testimony...it could be a different story.

The thing is, no-one tests it out. I'm not sure why, small claims court is cheap. :shrug:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
So let's say that I install it myself... I would be still covered under warranty if something happens?

I can live without the 3/36 on the intake and throttle body... But I don't want to lose the power train warranty from Ford
If you install it yourself the 5/60 powertrain warranty still covers everything except the aftermarket parts.

You'll still have the 3/36 bumper-2-bumper on eveything else, too (if you have any left).

The thing is... there's not really much of a way for a throttle body to cause an engine failure. For example, after I installed my PP2 I had a valve cover gasket begin leaking (common issue) and Ford didn't even blink an eye fixing that under warranty.

For a harsher example, if you were to drop a valve or flatten a cam after a home-installed PPx, Ford would have to prove you or the aftermarket parts caused the issue (pretty much impossible without some outrageous stretch).

Even still. If you are sitting on 2yrs 10 months, or 30,000 miles, the FRPP warranty will expire along with the 3/36 warranty so there is no point in paying extra to keep it... if you want to keep it that badly, wait a few more miles.

Sponsored

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
Which one is your ford dealership? I do live in the area.
Encinitas Ford. I went to pick the car up this morning, but since they forgot to do the oil change they're keeping it another day. The service manager told me that they had trouble reverting to the stock tune prior to loading the PP3 tune. When they finally took it for a test drive they smelled burning plastic. They ended up replacing part of the wiring harness on the driver's side, the driver's side motor mount (??) and the alternator. They did this part at no charge, but implied that it might have been "something from before." Now I am wishing I just saved the $500 and did it myself. They also must return all the PP2 parts and the stock manifold as well as the thumb drive with the stock and PP3 tune. Encinitas Ford was almost $100 less to do the install than Ken Grody Ford in Carlsbad. I guess I got what I paid for.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
I’m not really worried about the warranty, sure it would suck if something happened, but I’d just suck it up, and pay for it. Besides, they do have to prove that whatever happened to the car, was due to the upgrade that voided the warranty.
Who did your dyno tune? Are your headers catted?

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Who did your dyno tune? Are your headers catted?
Tuned by CCC Motorsports in Santee, they’ve done all my work, hi flow cats on the headers.

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
Tuned by CCC Motorsports in Santee, they’ve done all my work, hi flow cats on the headers.
You have good numbers. I'll look them up. Thanks.

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You have good numbers. I'll look them up. Thanks.
Thank you, I was pretty impressed myself. E85 is what really bumped the numbers up, paired with long tubes is a great increase.
Sponsored