Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Thank you 👋, I just wanted to know if there was a distinct name on the file to look for — admittedly, should have made a note of the new file name when loading it, but was checking if there was a name — or part of the name that was clearly FRPP vs OEM.
As far as I remember if you have
Yep, I had pinging at low RPM due to a vacuum leak on the hose that attaches at 90Âş to the intake piping past the sensor. Some plastic weld fixed the issue. Easiest way to tell that you have a vacuum leak is to look at live OBD2 data for short term fuel trim on both banks using an OBD2 scanner. If it's more than 10% at idle but goes down as RPM increase you have a vacuum leak.
182546061_10221802235218850_419647900576515577_n.jpg
Did you have pinging with Power Pack or without or with both? Mine only pinged with PP, but no issues without whatsoever...

But thanks, I'll see if I can check that.
Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Did you have pinging with Power Pack or without or with both? Mine only pinged with PP, but no issues without whatsoever...

But thanks, I'll see if I can check that.
Only with PP2. Notice that the part that caused the vacuum leak is part of PP2. Now both my short and long fuel trims are close to 0 at all RPMs and I get no pinging whatsoever.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Only with PP2. Notice that the part that caused the vacuum leak is part of PP2. Now both my short and long fuel trims are close to 0 at all RPMs and I get no pinging whatsoever.
Thanks again.... this sounds like I might try to install PP2 again ;)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Was your leak noticeable? Picture shows what I've done to my intake pipe while it is off the vehicle.

Basically all holes but one are blocked using gloves and other rubber things and then I would blow air in through the pipe and I do not think the pipe itself is an issue. No whistling or hissing or any noticeable air flow through anything. Gloves inflate and hold their shape.

It is possible that manifold itself or throttle body leak air... Throttle body itself I could possibly test using similar techniques, but manifold is impossible to test in easy way. And manifold is something that belongs to OEM setup so if it was leaking I'd have some sort of issues without PP2.

Sometimes I wish I opted for PP3 sometimes I do not...

Anyways, I guess I need to get some OBD reader and see what kinds of values I get. I remember another forum member @Kong76 who actually did that and posted his results somewhere here and no-one could tell anything wrong with those. I'll post that thread/topic here if I find it.

20210902_165015.jpg

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Ok, here's his thread with PP2 detonating and OBDII data:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/running-lean-and-detonation.147646/

@leszek :
both my short and long fuel trims are close to 0 at all RPMs and I get no pinging whatsoever.
@Kong76:
Plugged in my scan tool and saw that my STFT and LTFT are both positive at 3 and 8%.
Do you think what kong has is enough to get detonation?

I remember finding this topic: (Cracked Intake Manifolds)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cracked-intake-manifolds.85551/

The symptoms are low-RPM misfires that feel like subtle bucking/surging.
I definitely have some minor instability at idle. I only feel it through some minor vibration through shifter, but it is so minor sometimes I think I'm too picky.

Last edited:

Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Do you think what kong has is enough to get detonation?

I remember finding this topic: (Cracked Intake Manifolds)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cracked-intake-manifolds.85551/

I definitely have some minor instability at idle. I only feel it through some minor vibration through shifter, but it is so minor sometimes I think I'm too picky.
I don't think what kong has would be enough for detonation. Usually pinging doesn't start until about +10% on STFT. I had 12% or so STFT when the car pinged. (Of couse my car would ping worse in Winter since more unmetered air would enter the system.) Check engine light (which is designed to come on before detonation is due to fuel issues) comes on only after STFT hits 25% or LTFT hits 20%.

What you did looks good. I had a minor stress fracture on that 90Âş connector which turned into a crack. When I was checking the hoses for vacuum leaks it literally broke off:
182734506_10221802234738838_8048606139159774092_n.jpg

So I think you should be good.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I don't think what kong has would be enough for detonation. Usually pinging doesn't start until about +10% on STFT. I had 12% or so STFT when the car pinged. (Of couse my car would ping worse in Winter since more unmetered air would enter the system.) Check engine light (which is designed to come on before detonation is due to fuel issues) comes on only after STFT hits 25% or LTFT hits 20%.

What you did looks good. I had a minor stress fracture on that 90Âş connector which turned into a crack. When I was checking the hoses for vacuum leaks it literally broke off:

So I think you should be good.
I was hoping to find what's wrong with my parts, but unfortunately will still be in the dark.

But you said that after the fix your value is like 0 everywhere. Kong's are 3 and 8. Wouldn't that be enough for some marginal detonation? Seems like pretty big discrepancy between two cars. Also, shouldn't Kong values be the same? Kike 5 on each side?

Which obd reader are you using? I do not have any, so open for anadvice.

Last edited:

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I was hoping to find what's wrong with my parts, but unfortunately will still be in the dark.

But you said that after the fix your value is like 0 everywhere. Kong's are 3 and 8. Wouldn't that be enough for some marginal detonation? Seems like pretty big discrepancy between two cars. Also, shouldn't Kong values be the same? Kike 5 on each side?

Which obd reader are you using? I do not have any, so open for anadvice.
I use thinkcar's thinkdiag along with my phone. It's ok, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are better scanners for the price. To give you one additional data point - when my engine is cold I do have STFT varying ± 5% with no issues.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Just about to roll 123,456.7 on the odometer.

Still no regrets with the Power Pack 2. Although, the 90deg vacuum fitting broke last week when I removed the air cleaner to change belts. So far I've just wrapped it electrical tape. I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $700 on a new GT350 air cleaner just for that one fitting.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT

Still no regrets with the Power Pack 2. Although, the 90deg vacuum fitting broke last week when I removed the air cleaner to change belts. So far I've just wrapped it electrical tape. I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $700 on a new GT350 air cleaner just for that one fitting.
Congrats! I miss my PP3 in some ways. What fuel do you use, and if <93 do you have octane adjust on?

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st

How many of the 120,000 (miles? Kilometers?) Have you been running the power pack?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I think I put the power pack on around 20k. So about 100k on the PP2.

91 is the premium around here. I've had to use 87 twice on trips because I fuelled up somewhere that had nothing else. Generally when that happens I just put in 5 gallons or so to get to the next station and get premium.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I think I put the power pack on around 20k. So about 100k on the PP2.

91 is the premium around here. I've had to use 87 twice on trips because I fuelled up somewhere that had nothing else. Generally when that happens I just put in 5 gallons or so to get to the next station and get premium.
Do you run 91 with octane adjust on or off?
Sponsored