2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Happened to me once also but for me I forgot about the NLS , had it floored at about 7.5k. Then I just shifted normally by letting off gas slammed clutch to the floor then did the reverse, got a little backfire , TBH still trying to understand why cause even if it was hovering at 5k why would stepping back on the gas make it backfire ? , regardless when I use the nls it never backfires, just gotta remember to use it
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Happened to me once also but for me I forgot about the NLS , had it floored at about 7.5k. Then I just shifted normally by letting off gas slammed clutch to the floor then did the reverse, got a little backfire , TBH still trying to understand why cause even if it was hovering at 5k why would stepping back on the gas make it backfire ? , regardless when I use the nls it never backfires, just gotta remember to use it
That "backfire" is unburned air/fuel mixture that made it through the cylinders into the exhaust. Any time you decrease RPM the momentum of the exhaust gases causes a low pressure area just past the exhaust valves.

Think of a slinky. Lay the slinky on a table and push it axially. As you push it, it remains compressed and moves as a unit. Then stop pushing. The body of the slinky will continue to move due to momentum and pull the last coil (where your hand was pushing). If you push the slinky faster and stop more abruptly the pull will be stronger.

Dalas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT track
Guys I am looking for some clarity, after I got the PP2 installed by the dealer the car has been acting very weird, once you are shifting gear or even going from gear to neutral the RPM sticks a little and takes 2 to 3 seconds to drop to 1K.

Some days I can see that the car has more power than what it used to have but most of the days I feel like has less "kick" than before.

Anyone had the same feeling/problem? Any advise?

Thank you all!

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Guys I am looking for some clarity, after I got the PP2 installed by the dealer the car has been acting very weird, once you are shifting gear or even going from gear to neutral the RPM sticks a little and takes 2 to 3 seconds to drop to 1K.

Some days I can see that the car has more power than what it used to have but most of the days I feel like has less "kick" than before.

Thank you all!
My RPMs hang sometimes but in no way shape or form have I felt like I have less power than before the tune was applied.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Thank you all!
Hmmm..sounds strange. I wonder if it would be worth flashing the tune again. Easy enough to do yourself.

Mine drives like stock until I mash the pedal. Haven’t noticed any rev hang etc.

Sponsored

oldboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Thank you all!
The rev hang sounds more like the original tune (or maybe the first pp2 tune). As stated previously, the revised pp2 does not act like that and the responsiveness and power increase from 4k-6k is v noticeable. I wonder if the load failed. Try reving the engine to redline. does it go to 7200rpm or still at 7000?

FoMoCoMoFo16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 2003 Cobra
So I was looking for the factory plugs today and found that the part number has been superseded and the new Motorcraft plug is a platinum not iridium? Anyway I've read that people are having good results from brisk racing plugs. Main concern is the timing drop up top from 3-4 shift. I have a upr catch can. Was running 92 with octanium. Powerpack 3 car with the Ford Racing Calibration.
IMG-20190921-WA0004.jpg

FoMoCoMoFo16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 2003 Cobra
All of that information is on the graph above. Times are low because of the altitude and my 60ft needs work. The dealership had sportline springs installed and I haven't put good drag springs or shocks on it yet. I do have the cb005 kit and upgraded end links. Currently cutting 1.9 60ft. I have run 12.4 at a no prep deal but was still at about 1000ft in Yakima Washington at Renegade Raceway. Once my suspension is dialed in I'll make a trip south for some real times in good air at a well prepped track.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So just some clarity here for all of you. I have a 2017 Ford Mustang GT with the Roush Exhaust, Roush CAI, and Roush Tune. To the wheels with all of this, I am making 394 wheel horsepower and about 380'ish pounds of torque.

I was hitting 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds. Come summer time though I found that my car, even with the tune bogs a lot, of course probably because of the heat and the awesome CAI that probably soaks more heat than a volcano.... Either way, for not having headers and an outside tune, ill take 394.

Thought I would share my .02 cents

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
All these power packs are a little controversial to me.

Yes, they add some, but I could not google any real road tests comparing, say, 2015 gt without a power pack to 2015 gt with power pack X. Or, 2015-2017 with power pack to 2018 of certain level of performance, or anything else that'd let you to have some sort of relative benchmark. Ford could post some updated 0-60, 1/4 numbers to help realize real life outcomes.

It is nice to know your gt has plus some hp/tq, but even stock level engine was enough to get me in trouble, I do not race other cars daily at streets, I do not go on track, I autox for pleasure/fun sometimes... so not sure I can justify getting these mods.

I'm pretty sure these power packs should've been accompanied with gear ratio tweaks to release full potential. I'm pretty sure actual results might be surprising. Like biggest time gains are not from pp with biggest hp/tq gains... or, non perf pack gt benefits from power packs more.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
There are plenty of real world examples posted on this forum and others of the gains people have experienced at both the drag strip and road courses. Have you read this article here? It addresses the advantages of each power pack including gear ratios.

I'm a track junkie that frequents road courses. I installed the PP3 and immediately noticed the differences. No loss in low end torque and it pulls much harder all the way to 7500 RPM. My lap times dropped as a result.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
There are plenty of real world examples posted on this forum and others of the gains people have experienced at both the drag strip and road courses. Have you read this article here? It addresses the advantages of each power pack including gear ratios.

I'm a track junkie that frequents road courses. I installed the PP3 and immediately noticed the differences. No loss in low end torque and it pulls much harder all the way to 7500 RPM. My lap times dropped as a result.
I did go through the article multiple times. It is very detailed, contains dynos and all and all, but is mostly theory.

And this very thread contains someone's track experience with pp2 as no improvement...

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I attended the NMRA race in Bowling Green, KY this past weekend. There was a mobile dyno there offering free pulls to participants (I was running True Street). The only mod to my car is the Power Pack 2 kit. I’m still running the stock exhaust!

Car put down 402.67rwhp and 395.33rwtq SAE corrected. Feels good to be in the 400 club! I was super happy with the results. Best bang for the buck mod out there for these cars.
Sponsored