2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by BobbyGT, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Humphammer

Humphammer Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
    0   0   0
    Well you are probably correct, but it's not completely open....The honeycomb is still there I just opened up a few more of the holes in the honeycomb that are right in front of the intake snorkel. You would have to get right up close to the grill and be looking for it to tell anything was different. Nothing bigger than an insect is going through them. I also have a JLT filter condom (picture on page 295) that keeps debris from getting into the filter pleats. It is also treated to shed water as well. If bugs and pebbles get into the intake they will fall to the bottom and a good blast from the top with my leaf blower will blow them right back out the snorkel.

On the positive side something has made my intake air temperature go down. I drove from my home today to Knoxville which is a 65 mile one way trip. On the interstate all the way down and back my intake temperature never got above 4 degrees more that the outside temperature (and actually stayed at 3 most of the time) until I got into stop and go traffic in Knoxville. The outside temp was 73 degrees on the way down and 84 on the way back home. I have checked this many many times on this exact same trip when I was all stock and it never got below 7 degrees more that the outside temp. I don't know for sure how much if any the opening up of the holes in the grill had to do with it because I didn't test it enough to be sure. Can't speak for anyone else but my car at least has lower intake air temps with the new set-up.

2. Aras

Aras Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
    0   0   0
    I see. What is the point of no lift shifting?

3. Freedom

Freedom Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT White
    0   0   0
    Bang gears without letting off throttle for max accel.

4. Meatball

Meatball Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT
    0   0   0
    Sweet. I think the Coyote is nicely over-engineered...I'm not surprised you had no reliability issues even with letting it stretch its legs a bit. I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal" with the power packs in terms of the off-idle ping, which I think is as Ford expected and what they tell us not to worry about. I've revved it out at WOT (open window, accelerating next to a wall) and heard no ping. Sounded awesome, actually. But like someone else mentioned, just off-idle, with a bit of a load (AC on, hot out, maybe with passengers), there are a couple of pings just for a moment then the car accelerates strongly with no ping. Is that your experience also? You need a car or wall next to you to hear it. I'm on 91 so it may not happen with 93...

Just to tell my experience with PP3: It's awesome, but as people have said, it's really only for the (high speed) track. I'm never going to go to the track, I just like knowing I have 472 under the hood and how the power just keeps getting progressively stronger to and above 7K. I don't regret getting it. But in terms of how the car feels, the torque swells with the stock calibration & manifold is more interesting around town. Stabbing the gas in 2nd at 3K up to 6 is more fun because the power surges in there. Sounds like PP2 is like that only much moreso. PP3 just grows linearly, but is fun if you're willing to rev the hell out of it. I have a feeling the 12-13 Boss 302 is like PP3...linear power but less torquey (and less peak torque: 380 vs 390 lb-ft) than the Gen 1 Coyote and much less than Gen2 w/ PP2.

Eljay52 likes this.
  5. ChosenJuan

ChosenJuan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Just ordered the PP2 from LMR, should get here early next week. Any tips/tricks for the install? Did you guys drill a hole like in the video? Hoping it won't be longer than an hour or two.

6. Braski

Braski Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Your foot doesn't lift but the computer does. I personally see no benefit from it.

7. Humphammer

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    If you are reasonably handy with some simple tools it's a pretty simple quick install. My suggestion is to remove the filter from the intake before trying the install and also install the snorkel into the factory grill opening first, and then snap it into place on the intake.....was much easier to make sure it was all in the right place. I was on the road feeling the new power in two hours from start to finish.

8. phatsesh

phatsesh Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 convertible GT
    0   0   0
    Pneumatic ratchet will go along way for removing that stupid both on the firewall

9. ChosenJuan

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Finally installed the PP2 today, man I gotta say the torque is great, and throttle response is much better too. Lost an 8mm somewhere in the engine bay so it's either rattling around there right now or fell off while driving haha. I didn't configure anything in the ProCal settings, but the car is stock otherwise so I should be okay with differential + tire size and other settings, right?

10. Humphammer

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I didn't change anything with mine, and it is spot on. I have no pings, surges, or anything other than a little more gitty-up and a nice moan from the exhaust from 3,500 rpm's and up.

11. ChosenJuan

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    Did you guys notice more pops/crackles/burbles in the exhaust with the PP2? Mainly with decel

12. 2morrow

2morrow DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 Mustang GTPP
    0   0   0
    Yup

13. poncho@home

[email protected] GettingOld

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Even with PP1 there is more gurgles

14. Rich of So Cal

Rich of So Cal Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
    0   0   0
    Oh yes, and it sounds great with my Solo Performance catbacks! :headbang:

15. tukn20s

tukn20s Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
    0   0   0
    Yes, sounds great with my corsa sport catback.