2014 Mustang GT - Rattle/Ticking After MMR OPG/CG Install

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some help and insight into an issue that my brother came across with his 2014 Mustang after a shop installed MMR OPG/CG on his car. I had my OPG/CG installed from the same shop for my S550 and I never had any issues.

This is what has happened so far:

-Car went in with zero noise or issues
-Got the car back after 2 weeks (since shop was really busy or had setbacks with other cars)
-Picked up the car, started the car up made a really loud metallic noise for a second and then went away. Shop tech said that the car was dry so that's why it did that.
-No other issues noticed, no weird noises, so the tech continued with bleeding the coolant before letting us drive home.
-No noises or issues noticed after parking the car up at home.
-Next day, my brother started the car up and below are the videos of what the car sounded like on a cold start (see dropbox link below)
-Over the new 2 days the noise is not as loud but still there slightly. When the car warms up most of the noise goes away but you can still here it slightly.
-No check engine light, no driveability issues, no leaks.
-We brought the car back to the shop that did the work and the tech said he does hear a noise but nothing that would make him say that something is wrong with the car (it was not as loud since the car was warmed up from a 45 min drive).
-He said he can take it apart again but he doesn't know what to look for and that he has marked and torqued everything.
-So at the moment we aren't sure what to do. Most likely if we can't find any information we are going to have to take it apart ourselves and see what we can find.

Please use the drop box link to see the videos of my brother's car:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g8kp8hko5xr02du/AACe5uDSJi2wdkPqw6oiEB9ma?dl=0

Only other person I found with the EXACT same noise and almost exact same situation and steps followed before the sound came is in the videos below. The only other difference in steps was that the shop my brother went to also installed a clutch for him. We both left a comment on is videos but we haven't heard anything back yet to see if this person had their issue resolved or if they found anything. Provided below is a link to their post on a forum as well, no update their yet either.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/oil-pump-gear-noise.136112/

Any help or advice in the matter would be great and if anyone has experienced anything like this before or know someone that has, please let me know so I can reach out and get some more information from them about this matter. My only guesses are that I got a set of OPG/CG that weren't cut right or the timing chain tensioner(s) went bad.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
MMR to put it bluntly is crap, i know my good friend Chris with his boss 302S has MMR gears and all they did was make noise, he pulled them out on a track day and blew the engine. Turned around and went with a 5.2 aluminator.

I’d swap them out

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, might just have to take the gears out and put different ones in to see if the noise goes away. It's just frustrating because if the gears are the source of the noise then all the money spent getting them installed is going down the drain.

Thanks for your response and getting us those details. I really appreciate it the info..
Sponsored