corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I really can say asking for a friend, my buddy wants to know how his Boss would do against my car on a road course.
Assuming equal drivers, equal tires, and even considering automatic or manual.
He just recently got the red key programmed.
I have driven his car and it's impressive. I say he can take me on a road course, but what do you guys/girls say?
Over a 20 minute session you may take an early lead (driver confidence is going to matter), but if you're running the base brakes and not yet taken effective measures against differential fluid overheating I'm pretty sure he'll pass you before the session ends.

I am assuming track-capable pads and brake fluid for both cars here, and no suspension modification on either.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Over a 20 minute session you may take an early lead (driver confidence is going to matter), but if you're running the base brakes and not yet taken effective measures against differential fluid overheating I'm pretty sure he'll pass you before the session ends.

I am assuming track-capable pads and brake fluid for both cars here, and no suspension modification on either.

Norm
I'm not sure what you mean by base brakes, I have 6 piston Brembo calipers that are larger than his boss. I think my rotors are larger also.

I've been curious about differential overheating since reading about it on this forum. I don't think he has a rear cooler but he may have. Does the independent 8.8 heat up more than the standard axle? We both have the Torsen differentials. In the old days you never heard about this overheating unless it was pro racing. What am I missing? Just curious and want to learn, not trying to be a smart ass. :)

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I have owned both. A PP1 car will take a Boss 302, in probably every performance category. But, a 12-13 Boss has more character then any PP1/2.....probably has a lot to do with the red key lopey idle and side exhaust.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not sure what you mean by base brakes, I have 6 piston Brembo calipers that are larger than his boss. I think my rotors are larger also.
What wasn't immediately apparent to me was whether your front rotors draw air from the back side (the conventional arrangement) or from the wheel side (the 'backwards' base S550 way, either EB or GT). You should have the good kind.

I've been curious about differential overheating since reading about it on this forum. I don't think he has a rear cooler but he may have. Does the independent 8.8 heat up more than the standard axle? We both have the Torsen differentials. In the old days you never heard about this overheating unless it was pro racing. What am I missing? Just curious and want to learn, not trying to be a smart ass. :)
The independent 8.8 does, at least partly because the fluid cannot travel down any axle tubes and use their surface area for heat rejection. I also doubt that airflow around the diff housing in its IRS cradle is as good as it is around a stick-axle pumpkin. There's also the matter of exhaust routing, which gets really tight in the S550.

I'm fully aware that the S550 was developed to be better than the S197, but if the S197 is no longer stock and the S550 is, it's somewhat less clear.

Norm

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Performance aside, I would take the boss every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sponsored

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Yes the Boss 302 cars are awesome. I bought mine new and sold it a few years ago. I did well selling i, it made a mistake. The car had 10k miles but was in stunning condition. Someday I’ll get a 12 Laguna Seca.

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
While not a 100% match, the
- 2019 Mustang GT PP2 did a lap at VIR in 2:53.8.
- 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca did a lap at VIR in 3:02.8
- 2015 Mustang GT did a lap at VIR in 3:05.2

I understand you said equal drivers, equal drivers, etc. Something to take away that many people forget. These track times were set on a track with a professional driver. You, nor your friend, are professional drivers and won't be able to put down said lap times. Even though your 2019 PP1 is technically faster and handles better, it could still be a driver's race.

Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2021: Every Car, Every Lap Time (caranddriver.com)

Funny how the boss and 15 GT match there engine displacement:idea:

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I have owned both. A PP1 car will take a Boss 302, in probably every performance category. But, a 12-13 Boss has more character then any PP1/2.....probably has a lot to do with the red key lopey idle and side exhaust.
I thought the red key would have more lope. You can hear it but nothing like a large cam, but I'm old school, it definitely sounds good, he has Borla mufflers, but I expected more. Cool car no matter how you look at it. :like:
Sponsored