Sponsored

2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The fins should be removed anyways. Sand that out and port it as best you can to help match the bigger TB and the adapter. It's the easiest thing to do. They don't do anything except maybe disrupt the airflow, lol.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
What's the best way to get the fins off? Will snapping them off work or perhaps clipping them?
Just snap them off with a set of pliers. Make sure you stick a rag behind them when doing it and when sanding the remaining stubs.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Just remember sand it like you sand anything else....rough grit to smooth grit and try to sand moving in the same direction throughout.

Sponsored

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
There fins are there to streamline the airflow and prevent a whistling noise at partial throttle. I do notice a slight whistling with the 80mm set up. You don't want to make the adapter too thick or it can complicate attaching the air intake.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yes, they are called "Quiet Fingers". They don't do anything other than potentially "quiet" things down....I have never noticed a difference after removing them in two different applications...but take into account both systems have a full exhaust system. Any slight "whistling" is overridden by the sweet sound of acceleration under full load.

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Has anyone else tested their gas mileage with the 80mm TB. I have the stock tune, a Roush CAI and and flowmaster axle backs. I am getting between 33 - 35 mpg highway if I keep my foot out of it, and 25 - 27 mpg combined city and highway. I only tested it over 300 miles and I was being conscientious about not mashing the gas or taking hard pulls from full stops. I realize this may not be a big issue for most mustang guys but I was curious to see what kind of highway MPG I can expect on long road trips.

***Update: clocked just under 500 miles and have a 27.5 mpg average.

20190612_160700.jpg

Last edited:

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
26.5 is about what I get all stock...Maybe it does help?

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
26.5 is about what I get all stock...Maybe it does help?
I'm sure driving style has a big part to play. I can honestly say that I saw an increase in mpg compared to what I was getting before.

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
New to the forum. Just stumbled upon this as I’ve got a S197 V6. I’ve already got a BBK TB but this mod is cool. Had to stretch out the coupler for my Airaid intake to fit over the BBK TB. Eventually going to replace it with a proper size reducer. First drive with the larger TB is like night and day to stock. So much more low end power.

This TB swap is exactly what I was about to do to my 06 Civic Si before I sold it and got the Mustang. The TB from certain V6 Hondas was a direct bolt on for the Si. Just had to get a few other things but it was inexpensive. Some vendors actually sell the TB and parts needed as a kit. But it was cheaper to source out the parts needed and get the TB from a junkyard.

So if you’re looking for TBs, check your local junkyard.

Heezys6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 Mustang
Hey guys,

I would like to inform and confirm that using a 15-17 GT throttle body on an S550 V6 will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode and definitely throw a CEL. I had ordered the wrong throttle body, but still gave it a shot, and no go. I tried rotating the throttle body 180degrees thinking that perhaps the butterfly opening had to open a certain direction and that didn’t work. I checked to make sure there was enough clearance, and that wasn’t the problem. I disconnected the battery completely, and nothing. I ended up removing the throttle body and ordering a 2014 unit.

I was thinking maybe resetting the KAM completely so that the car can relearn with the new throttle body, but I was unable to reset completely. Even if there was a way to get 15+ GT throttle body to work on the S550s I think the easier and safest way is to stick with a 11-14 unit.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Hey guys,

I would like to inform and confirm that using a 15-17 GT throttle body on an S550 V6 will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode and definitely throw a CEL. I had ordered the wrong throttle body, but still gave it a shot, and no go. I tried rotating the throttle body 180degrees thinking that perhaps the butterfly opening had to open a certain direction and that didn’t work. I checked to make sure there was enough clearance, and that wasn’t the problem. I disconnected the battery completely, and nothing. I ended up removing the throttle body and ordering a 2014 unit.

I was thinking maybe resetting the KAM completely so that the car can relearn with the new throttle body, but I was unable to reset completely. Even if there was a way to get 15+ GT throttle body to work on the S550s I think the easier and safest way is to stick with a 11-14 unit.
Unfortunate you had to find out the hard way, but yeah that was something confirmed years back.

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I've rustled up some more material so I'm going to be making some more of the GT throttle body adapters. Production is going to be slow, but I'll do my best to kerp up. Don't forget, you need an 11-14 GT unit. The 15+ ones don't work.

Hit me up if you need one, otherwise I will be posting them in the classifieds.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
I'm new to the site, how much do you charge for the adapter plates?
Sponsored