2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Curious to see if anyone has decided that this is not a good change, its gone pretty quiet.
Its still winter here so I'm on hold for now.
Any changes or complaints?
Still rockin' it. I've just been quiet because I've been too busy enjoying the car. I am probably done as far as mods go as once this is paid off in a few years I'm probably getting a 2018+ 5.0.
Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Curious to see if anyone has decided that this is not a good change, its gone pretty quiet.
Its still winter here so I'm on hold for now.
Any changes or complaints?
I'm not sure it actually improved anything, but it certainly didn't make anything worse. But I also didn't so any track testing or even back to back testing with the track app.

quiong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6
Did this a few weeks ago with a used f150 tb from eBay for $50. Cheap mod. I honestly can’t tell much difference though. I don’t think the stock tb is actually restrictive. Worth a try for cheap and easy enough to go back to stock if needed.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Looking to run his setup but towards end of March I might have to get the car retuned since I’m procharged

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I definitely notice a difference changing my throttle body to the BBK. More power at low speeds - exactly where this engine needs it.

Didn't notice a difference adding the GT exhaust (except a MUCH better sound/looks) but to me at least the OEM TB on our V6 is restrictive.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely notice a difference changing my throttle body to the BBK. More power at low speeds - exactly where this engine needs it.

Didn't notice a difference adding the GT exhaust (except a MUCH better sound/looks) but to me at least the OEM TB on our V6 is restrictive.
I went to a ported stock TB some time back. The larger throttle body actually doesn't gain you much power, if any at all. What it does do is give you more actual throttle opening versus pedal opening compared to the stock TB. The connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body is electric - drive by wire.

There is a sensor on the pedal. The following numbers are just for example sake....

You press the pedal 50% to the floor. The sensor grabs that reading at the pedal, sends that to the ECU, which then send a signal to the actual TB to open say 35% of WOT. Naturally if you increase the size of your TB, and everything else being the same, you'll get more throttle opening than you would with the stocker.

That's what you are feeling at low speeds.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got one for sale in the classified for anyone that wants it.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went to a ported stock TB some time back. The larger throttle body actually doesn't gain you much power, if any at all. What it does do is give you more actual throttle opening versus pedal opening compared to the stock TB. The connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body is electric - drive by wire.

There is a sensor on the pedal. The following numbers are just for example sake....

You press the pedal 50% to the floor. The sensor grabs that reading at the pedal, sends that to the ECU, which then send a signal to the actual TB to open say 35% of WOT. Naturally if you increase the size of your TB, and everything else being the same, you'll get more throttle opening than you would with the stocker.

That's what you are feeling at low speeds.
BBK dynoed their throttle body. It doesn't give you extra torque/hp at peak, but it does give you a much better curve so you have more power and torque at lower speeds. I can't be bothered to look for the video, but google for it if you want to see. I definitely notice it and it has been the mod I've been most pleased with.

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Recently did the conversion to the GT 80mm throttle body and I can confirm that the Roush CAI does fit with a bit of elbow grease and some lubrication. I made my own adapter plate out of aluminum and it's 10mm thick. It didn't cause any clearance issues with the Roush set up.
20190524_161106.jpg
20190520_205414.jpg
received_415260839055761.jpeg

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Very nice. Any chance you would fabricate me a metal one too, lol? For a price of course. Need to upgrade for when I go boost.

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Very nice. Any chance you would fabricate me a metal one too, lol? For a price of course. Need to upgrade for when I go boost.
Let me see if I can come up with another of aluminum. I scavenged that one out of the recycle bin at work and did it in the evenings after I got off.

BRR_416

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I tweaked the design a little too make it easier to machine. If anyone needs one PM me. I'll make them as needed until I run out of material.
20190604_163910.jpg

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
I'm thinking if it was thicker you might not have to remove the fins for clearance?
Sponsored