Sponsored

2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
Definitely port match the manifold. Open the throttle body by hand and take a silver sharpie and draw a circle and it will show you how much to grind off.
Well I wouldn't be doing it personally, was going to go through TB Built lol. But for sure will get this done :cheers:
Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
That's why I put the bottom bolts on both sides in from the back side of the adapter, you can use an screwdriver or any appropriate sized tool to wedge the bolt head to get the nut tight. Just be careful the whole intake is plastic and will flex some. Also the holes must be drilled out so the bolts will go through them.
GREAT idea...thank you!

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Glue, wow that borders on genius man! It's always the simplest and most obvious ideas that elude me it seems. If I have to take it apart I'll just glue the heads of the bolts to the back of the adapter. If I glued the nuts I'd probably have to take it apart the next time with a SawsAll.:headbonk:
I know the feeling. There's been plenty of times I did some work and came up with an easier solution after the fact.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I know the feeling. There's been plenty of times I did some work and came up with an easier solution after the fact.
That's the fun of tinkering with stuff!

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
So I got it all wrapped up, took it for a spin around the block (cant do much more than that) and wow, the engine feels more responsive. I'm stock without a tune, have a pedalmax and GT exhaust.

I used the included vacuum line hookups and kept everything as stock as possible. I also kept the intake fins. I dremeled about 2mm inward on all of top side fins and that was enough for the throttle plate to clear (while using the adapter). I didn't touch the bottom side fins at all. The throttle plate opens from the top and never gets close to the bottom ones, even at WOT.

Now, I am a bit concerned with how the TB gaskets and adapter plate all seat. I may have just torqued things differently, I was trying to be careful, I cant hammer down on the TB bolts that go into the adapter, that will strip the threads on this 3D material. I tried to go around in circle and get everything even, but maybe that didn't happen. Can those who used the adapter plate check on if mine seated like theirs?

I hear a wisp noise, but it sounds like its from the intake manifold. I sprayed starting fluid around the gasket area's and the idle didn't jump any. So I don't think I have any vacuum leaks. I'm just curious if this is normal. If so, then at least we have a pic of it so future installers know what to expect.
Once I got this pipe to fit nicely (which wasnt as simple as it sounds) it works wonderfully. I used UPR's metal PCV connectors instead of the plastic ones that came with the pipe and hps 3.5 inch intercooler piping and t-bolt clamps to seal it up.

I really liked Fordguys550's pipe but I think the extra 1/2 an inch in diameter at the throttle body end with the ebay pipe along with some additional porting on my upper intake manifold has made a noticeable difference. This is a must do mod! Especially since the pipe from ebay is $35!

Sponsored

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
another option for anyone who doesn't want to run a spacer, you can have the TB drilled as feed it originally posted and file off a bit from the tb and tb housing. ( At first I thought the air raid spacer i was using had a faulty gasket so I decided to see Try it out since i couldn't find where to buy a replacement gasket and after a very slow process of filing and test fitting it ended up working great. You still have to use different bolts and file off the top fins to get the TB to operate properly)

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
I believe the bolts are M6 50mm

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
How is the reliability so far for those that are using the shapeways spacer? Has anyone noticed anything or experienced something amiss? So far from what you all have posted it seems all is good.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
How is the reliability so far for those that are using the shapeways spacer? Has anyone noticed anything or experienced something amiss? So far from what you all have posted it seems all is good.
I haven't driven mine more than 60 miles but everything seems fine. But I did notice yesterday on the highway that my vacuum was running around 16 HG or a little less. At idle it's up around 19 to 20 HG. That's probably normal so while it's not as close to idle vacuum while cruising it's likely because there is some throttle opening. It's like many small improvements you make to a car it doesn't take long to get used to them and after a few miles and hardly notice it anymore. But you know it's there!:)

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I've driven about 500-700 miles since install and have taken it off numerous times to check it and it looks totally fine. I painted mine in high-temp engine enamel before install.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I know it might mean slightly less coming from the guy who sells the product... But I have had my metallic plastic spacer on for about 2000+ miles now. It has been through snow, rain, 20 degree weather to 80+ degree weather (crazy Maryland weather) without any issue. My spacer is not coated as I wanted to see the effects if any.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
It doesn't mean anything less coming from you. Thanks for the update on how its working out uncoated. I used high temp grill paint. It's a flat black color, I didnt want any gloss.

shuangv6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hi all I just got my 2016 v6 about a month ago and this is definitely the first mod i plan on doing (I've already ordered the TB). I've read through this thread quite a few times but am still a little unsure about the install and what's required. Any chance someone could make a short how to youtube video? It would be greatly appreciated!

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Sounds good I've just been wondering the longterm. Mostly since my parts are just sitting around. I do plan to purchase the metallic one. So you testing it provides me with more confidence.

True that with crazy weather. 70 one day and high 30s with a chance of snow the next.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Sounds good I've just been wondering the longterm. Mostly since my parts are just sitting around. I do plan to purchase the metallic one. So you testing it provides me with more confidence.

True that with crazy weather. 70 one day and high 30s with a chance of snow the next.
Dang Fuse, your location says Etats-Unis d'Amerique, I can't do the little squigglely things, that has to be in the upper Midwest somewhere cause that weather sounds familiar. I don't think the weathermen around here even look out the window when they make their predictions.:shrug:

On a more serious note I'm considering taking mine back off to trace out a pattern of it on a 3/8ths or 1/2 inch thick piece of flat aluminum sheet stock and making one like fordguys550 did. What the heck, being retired gives me lots of time for grinding, drilling, tapping, and filing and using various other implements of destruction.
Sponsored