Sponsored

2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
This is after I shaved the bolt down. Looks like a better seal, if I screw in anymore, the fins start to warp. The adapter is in a far as it'll go. Weird whistle like supercharger sound now.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That looks far better and more in line with what mine looks like. The whistle noise is an interesting development. Most likely fluid still on the belts since it seems like you don't have any other symptoms of a vac leak.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
When spacers are added they tend to add a whistling noise. As long HG on the vacuum gauge looks good I'd roll with it.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Not really sure what vacuum should read, its around 18.6inHg during idle. If I rev it, it drops to 0 and spikes into the lower 20's. If I hold the rpm to 2.5k, it stays in the lower 20s. No crazy idle or anything. I'm not concerned, I have to remember that the car has been without a battery from December til 2 weeks ago. I've only let it idle a couple times, so I imagine its got some relearning to do.

Its interesting no others have ran into the issue of that bolt being too long.

No matter, props to Whatdoyoufeedit for doing this, Zackmd for the adapter and WhyNot for the intake kit. I can already tell there's a difference and this may prevent me from trading it in. I want to reinsure it and test it out more!!

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Not really sure what vacuum should read, its around 18.6inHg during idle. If I rev it, it drops to 0 and spikes into the lower 20's. If I hold the rpm to 2.5k, it stays in the lower 20s. No crazy idle or anything. I'm not concerned, I have to remember that the car has been without a battery from December til 2 weeks ago. I've only let it idle a couple times, so I imagine its got some relearning to do.

No matter, props to Whatdoyoufeedit for doing this, Zackmd for the adapter and WhyNot for the intake kit. I can already tell there's a difference and this may prevent me from trading it in. I want to reinsure it and test it out more!!
Way to go "soldier"! I've been running around with all the parts and the tools to do the job in my trunk for a few days now, scared to make it happen. Even made a tool to score the base of the fins a little to make them break off a little cleaner. My only problem is I miss threaded a hole and had to drill them out and use a bolt washer and nut, so I'll have to watch that clearance. I'm going to use a 55mm bolt and an interference fit type nut or maybe a nylock nut. So far almost everyone who has done this reports good results but are any of these cars autos?:shrug:

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Don't be scared to do it, the worst that would happen is you go back to stock. Did you miss thread one of the holes on the adaptor? Even if you had to use a nut, I don't think you'd have a problem. Won't know til you try it!

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

Sounds like pretty healthy vacuum readings to me. No problem and glad I could contribute, it's a team effort that keeps the 3.7 progressing. There's a lot left in these engines. The stock tune caps the engine quite a bit (it doesn't even allow you to use all of 1st gear without pulling timing) which pushes people to upgrade to the V8 due to discouragement. After some light mods + Unleashed tune it feels like a small displacement V8. Sometimes it's just some TLC that's needed to make that difference between sticking with what you have or moving onto something else. :cheers:

WhyNot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang V6 6-speed
Looks good soldier, curious... how hard was it to drill in the pvc holes?

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
True story, a mod needs to sticky this and the exhaust thread for future V6ers. Also, this V6 is far more powerful than my 68's 302. I was mostly thinking about the GT because I don't think I'll have z-plan much longer. But, I'm happy enough with the V6.

Looks good soldier, curious... how hard was it to drill in the pvc holes?
Wasn't hard at all, just gotta be slow and careful. They didn't come out perfect, the hole saws provided wobble so it chews up some metal outside of the hole that gets cut. The grommet covers most of it up.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
True story, a mod needs to sticky this and the exhaust thread for future V6ers. Also, this V6 is far more powerful than my 68's 302. I was mostly thinking about the GT because I don't think I'll have z-plan much longer. But, I'm happy enough with the V6.

Wasn't hard at all, just gotta be slow and careful. They didn't come out perfect, the hole saws provided wobble so it chews up some metal outside of the hole that gets cut. The grommet covers most of it up.
Your pipe looks like it was made to fit there! Where did you get that? Is that the one from ebay?

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Yeah, its the one from eBay. Its pretty close to a perfect fit.

Rika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 v6 auto
Hi all,
This is getting exciting as more and more people are doing this swap. I'm in the same shoes as DBerry. I think I have all the parts ready to go but, kind of scared to pull the trigger. One question, can I reuse the same bolt that's holding the stock tb to the manifold? If not, what size should I buy?
Thanks
Rika

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Hi all,
This is getting exciting as more and more people are doing this swap. I'm in the same shoes as DBerry. I think I have all the parts ready to go but, kind of scared to pull the trigger. One question, can I reuse the same bolt that's holding the stock tb to the manifold? If not, what size should I buy?
Thanks
Rika
The stock bolts can be reused but it seems that one of the bolts will need some length trimmed off. You will need 4 extra bolts for the spacer to intake. The size is M6x1.00mm by 20mm length.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Look at post #361. I had to trim down the bottom right bolt (bottom right when looking at it head on), or else the bolt hit the manifold and caused the adapter to warp. I would recommend picking up a different bolt, rather then cutting it down like I did (I goobered up the threading). Something like a M6x1.0 by 50mm, if you can find one.

Don't be afraid, worst that can happen is you go back to stock. I would rate this at a 1 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. I'd rate it a 5 out of 5 on the must do scale.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
OK so it's done. Encountered a couple of problems, one which is probably common and one unique to my install. The fins are pretty tough plastic and I probably spent at least half an hour breaking them off. And not very neatly either, I'd give myself about two style points for how good it looks. I had to use bolts and nuts because I drilled my badly threaded T/B holes in the adapter out. Bad, bad, bad idea, the bottom driver side that is left hand bolt has no room to put a nut on the back side. So removed the adapter and put the two bottom bolts in through the back side of the adapter and the nuts on the front. Good idea but I was using interference locking nuts and the nut in question was locked but not as tight as the others. Then couldn't get it loose because the bolt would just spin. You can barely touch the bolt head with a fingertip but there is no way to get any tool that the average person owns onto it! Finally got it loose and put a shouldered nut on the bolt. Think I'll take a crack at fabbing my own tool to try and reach it.

Now for results, she started right up. no hiccups, no lights, no codes. Idled smooth as glass both fast idle and regular idle. I warmed the car up before the install to check the vacuum and the A/F ratio. Afterwards the two parameters remained nearly identical. The car seems to have more torque driving around town and accelerating on the highway. Seems to produce the same throttle response with less throttle, which doesn't seem surprising. Seems to pull pretty good through 7200 RPMs. And oddly my IAT was down 2 to 3 degrees from this morning, before, to this afternoon, after. This is probably due to some anomaly, don't think the swap would cause that effect. Also hooked up to my Roush CAI, sort of:doh:!
Sponsored