Sponsored

20 questions about my 1st oil change

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I've been driving myself nuts reading threads about changing oil for the first time on my '19 PP1. Seems to be so many opinions on how/what to do. I have been changing oil for about twenty years on my vehicles and never had any issues. Here are my concerns:

1. I have always used a floor jack and jack stands to lift vehicles. I'd like to try rhino Ramps but some people say they shoot out ahead of the car. If they work this seems like a good option to not have to use a jack. Seems to be contradictory info about whether or not the PP1 splitter will clear as well. Thoughts?

2. Will I really hurt the frame by using a jack and jack stands? Seems like a lot of guys have installed the jacking rails. This just seems unnecessary but I don't want to ding up anything either.

3. I have no idea what brand of oil is in the car. I bought it in late October and have not changed it yet. It has 15,000 miles and no odd noises that I can hear. I was planning to use Castrol Magnatec and a Motorcraft filter. I don't know if there is ceratec in the oil and I would like to try straight oil only. Will I be able to tell if there is ceratec when I drain it? Seems like most people using this have a tick or something with the motor.

4. Do I need to change oil every year if the monitor is showing that it is not necessary? I am planning on driving it as much as I can but it's not a daily driver. It gets parked from mid December to early April here in MN.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I have Race Ramps and jacking rails. I prefer the ramps. You should be ok with ramps. I use Castrol Synthetic. Pretty sure ceratec has an orange color to it but I don’t use it so don’t really know. I’m sure you’ll be able to tell though. Motorcraft filter is fine. I only have my car on the road from June to September. I put max 500 miles a year on it so I only change the oil every June when I start driving it. Hope this helps.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I usually change the oil in my low mileage cars once a year in the fall before I put it away. Additives are not needed if you buy a high quality oil IMHO.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You're way, way overthinking this!
Try the ramps with someone watching. If they don't work use a jack. Jack from the frame or get some pucks and jack from the pinch rails. Buy any high quality oil of the right kind and weight, the owners manual will tell you specs. Buy any good quality filter, I use the Motorcraft when I can. Change a minimum of once a year - this is also in the owners manual.
And now I've typed way more than a simple oil change deserves...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I vote ramps. (Or a Quick Jack :sunglasses:) I have a cheap plastic set and never had them move when using them. Just make sure to really push them into the tire firmly before trying to drive up on them.

Sponsored

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I had Rino ramps as well, they slid on my garage floor because it was painted and very smooth. They need rough concrete to work. Took them back and have been jacking it up since. I bought red anodized small "Pads" that bolt right where the jacking point is on the pinch weld. I can't remember the manufacturer, I'd have to look to see if I have the small box they came in. The Steeda rails work just fine, I didn't want the big long rails on mine. Oil is subjective, just go with a high quality name brand. Me? I use Mobil 1 5W30, no ticky/no rattle and the Fomoco filter once a year. I only put about 1200 miles a year on it, so the oil looks like I just changed it, but it's a year old so...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
20 years you say, make sure you have a pan that will hold 10qt.

I like the Wix fwiw .. Going to flip to Castrol myself next change.

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Buy or make (aluminum foil and duct tape) a funnel/ramp to keep oil from draining from the filter onto the chassis. Also get a good filter wrench, OEMTools 25400 works ok but there may be better. Tape a cardboard backsplash onto your drain pan, the oil comes out fast!

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I put old floor mats under the ramps to stop them from sliding.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....Seems like most people using this have a tick or something with the motor......
What most people think are ticks, is just the DI.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If your car has ceratec in you will know when you drain it. Mine came out kinda milky looking. Concerned me at first cause I thought I had water in my oil...lol There's plenty of people using a jack and jack stands. I use a quick jack. If you're concerned about the pinch welds get some hard rubber jacking pads. As for the oil, it calls for 5w20 for normal use so I stick with that. As for brand just go for what brand you like. I use mobil 1 full syn. And the mobil 1 filter. Been working well for me. It's like any other oil change you've ever done except the drain plug. Once you get thst thing turned and popped out the oil will blast out so have the back stop mentioned earlier or a long pan. If you are going to spend any time tinkering on your car those quick Jack's are great, lifts it right up easily.

20200922_160141.jpg

Redbaron289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang GT
Really can’t go wrong with motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter. That’s what they develop the engine with and test it and send it home from the factory with. I’ve used nothing but motorcraft in my Fords for more than 20 years, no issues.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
As mentioned if there's Ceratec it will have a milky tanish look to it.
I just use Motorcraft oil. No odd noises/ticks.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I have a set of ramps that are too steep for the valiance to clear and too narrow so the tires would hang over on both sides. So I bought a set of lower profile ramps that are low enough and wide enough to use safely. But a couple extra inches of height would sure be nice. I can barely reach back far enough to get the drain plug out, and yes the oil comes out like a fire hose so be ready. One thing that surprised me was how little access you have to anything under the car. Usually while I'm waiting for the oil to drain I spend some time looking over the suspension and steering or just giving everything a once over. You have to open the access door to get at the filter and there's nothing else you can see. I guess some time in the future I'll take that plastic shield off so I can see but for the first oil change I didn't bother.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What most people think are ticks, is just the DI.

D____? I____?

Fill in the blanks, multiple choice unavailable.

I know this stuff sound cool and all that . But today I drove my FM and went to the D, had some really good 60f Ts what a B had a G T.
Sponsored

Last edited: