Sponsored

20' GT350 won't crackle warm! Why? Drive Mode Fuel Map? V2 Voodoo?

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Is this a goddamn joke? Of course it isn't. Because ricers have aged and now have more income thus allowing them to buy expensive stuff and carry their ridiculous antics over to actually good products. But anyway...

The reason is because when the car is up to part temp and the O2's get hot, the car comes out of Open Loop mode and runs in Closed Loop mode so it can tell what is actually going on with the O2 sensors. In Open Loop during warm up the car just dumps fuel according to preset parameters. It's not listening to the front O2 sensors at all. So when the ignition pulls timing from letting off the throttle, the fuel that's being dumped ignites very late in the combustion process and some of the ignition escapes when the exhaust valves are still slightly open. So basically you desire your car to waste fuel, be hard on the exhaust valves, LOSE power, and sound like explosive taco bell sharts. There's a reason why manufacturers are trying to mitigate this as much as possible. From Ford to Chevy to Jaguar to Mercedes etc etc.

The reason why the car may pop coming off of the throttle at high RPM or a fast shift is because the throttle slamming shut very abruptly and the flow of fuel is causing the same thing. The ignition retards due to the throttle closing and the remaining fuel that is being heavily flowed into the combustion chamber before the injectors pull back is ignited very late during the combustion process. It has nothing to do with X pipes, headers, mufflers, or throttle bodies. It has everything to do with ignition and left over fuel.

And no GOOD tuner will tune something like that in because they know it has zero bearing on making the car more efficient. In fact it makes it LESS efficient, and is not ideal for performance.
Really? You don't see a difference between a couple pops / crackles when letting off the gas vs. a 4 banger import with a 2 step installed. One sounds cool, the other sounds like a cross between a lawn mower and a machine gun. I don't think the OP is wanting the latter, just some crackle here and there. Is there no difference in your opinion?

I disagree with your last comment too. A good tuner will give the customer what he wants while following the law and not pushing the limits of the engine too far. A good turner provides expertise / advice on the effects a tune will do to that persons car base on what they want. A good tuner is not there to judge, but to provide expertise for the best possible experience each car person wants. Not to pass judgement on what they like and force that on others.

My GT has Roush H-pipe and axle backs with a Lund tune. It crackles & pops occasionally when letting off the gas and I really like it. But I'm not a fan of the 2 step usually on older imports that I hear quite often around town.

To each there own, I don't care that people do this to their car. It has little affect on me other than briefly being annoyed when I hear it late at night in my neighborhood.

I'm not trying to start an argument or be a dick; I'm just saying that your opinion of what is cool is not universal. Believe me I roll my eyes at a lot of things I see in the car community, but what makes my opinion any better than anyone else.

Solid feedback on why this happens, you clearly have some knowledge in that area.
Take care
Sponsored

Last edited:

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
@coz0502 I think this is what nastang is talking about. Not 2 step or just a couple pops. The car in this video is just ridiculous.

Watch "POV BMW M340i catless downpipe , burble tune (LOUD POPS AND BANGS) (AGGRESSIVE DOWNSHIFTS)" on YouTube

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@coz0502 I think this is what nastang is talking about. Not 2 step or just a couple pops.

Watch "POV BMW M340i catless downpipe , burble tune (LOUD POPS AND BANGS) (AGGRESSIVE DOWNSHIFTS)" on YouTube
Correct. That is just stupid as shit. And it is LEGITIMATELY NOT GOOD FOR YOUR ENGINE. What do you think is happening to the exhaust valves...?

And before someone says well then why does it happen during open loop from the factory?!??!

Well are you supposed to be beating the snot out of your engine before it's warmed up? Use common sense.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
@coz0502 I think this is what nastang is talking about. Not 2 step or just a couple pops. The car in this video is just ridiculous.

That's what I'm referring to as well, didn't realize you could tune your car to do that. I thought it was a WOT box or I've also heard it referred to as 2 step. Regardless, this is what I was talking about as the latter in my prior post. Not a fan myself, but don't really care if others like and want it.

I remember a long time ago when I was a kid my Mom said son if everyone in this world was the same it'd be a pretty boring world to live in. Now that I'm older I've modified that saying to if everyone in this world was the same, we'd have no one to laugh at :cool: (silently in your head or with your friends later, I try not to be a dick whether in person or online)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Also. A quick pop coming off the throttle at high RPM or aggressive driving is expected. The fuel is still flowing. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just the continuous obnoxious pops and bangs that are dumb. I SUSPECT this idea that deceleration pops and crackles are race oriented is due to blown diffusers from F1. And the strategy behind those are absolutely to dump fuel and ignite it while the throttle is closed and when the exhaust valves are open. But that is to use exhaust gas flow for downforce during deceleration and helping with cornering. It works by routing the exhaust outlet just in front of a rear diffuser. The flowing exhaust gas move over a diffuser causing high pressure over it and thus generating downforce. But street cars don't have blow diffusers now do they...

Stupid burble tunes are RICE.

Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancements

Sponsored

OP
OP
Braaaaaap

Braaaaaap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Toyota 4Runner (Supercharged), 20' GT350
UPDATE:
For anyone curious, I managed to get the car out today and can confirm

Sport/Track modes crackle a LOT more than normal modes on a 20’ GT350

Clearly Ford has tuned these modes differently than the normal mode just like other models/manufacturers.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I removed my resonators and replaced with straight pipe and my Shelby sounds just like this:

I want no more or no less burbles or crackles... it sounds great...!!!!!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I removed my resonators and replaced with straight pipe and my Shelby sounds just like this:

I want no more or no less burbles or crackles... it sounds great...!!!!!

This here is very much normal behavior.

sk8ermoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350 / 2004 LSB M3
Is this a goddamn joke? Of course it isn't. Because ricers have aged and now have more income thus allowing them to buy expensive stuff and carry their ridiculous antics over to actually good products. But anyway...

The reason is because when the car is up to part temp and the O2's get hot, the car comes out of Open Loop mode and runs in Closed Loop mode so it can tell what is actually going on with the O2 sensors. In Open Loop during warm up the car just dumps fuel according to preset parameters. It's not listening to the front O2 sensors at all. So when the ignition pulls timing from letting off the throttle, the fuel that's being dumped ignites very late in the combustion process and some of the ignition escapes when the exhaust valves are still slightly open. So basically you desire your car to waste fuel, be hard on the exhaust valves, LOSE power, and sound like explosive taco bell sharts. There's a reason why manufacturers are trying to mitigate this as much as possible. From Ford to Chevy to Jaguar to Mercedes etc etc.

The reason why the car may pop coming off of the throttle at high RPM or a fast shift is because the throttle slamming shut very abruptly and the flow of fuel is causing the same thing. The ignition retards due to the throttle closing and the remaining fuel that is being heavily flowed into the combustion chamber before the injectors pull back is ignited very late during the combustion process. It has nothing to do with X pipes, headers, mufflers, or throttle bodies. It has everything to do with ignition and left over fuel.

And no GOOD tuner will tune something like that in because they know it has zero bearing on making the car more efficient. In fact it makes it LESS efficient, and is not ideal for performance.
That kind of sound logic and function over form mentality is lost on people like OP. It doesn't help to try and explain. They don't care. Just shake your head and walk away as the car burps unnecessarily down the road.

OP
OP
Braaaaaap

Braaaaaap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Toyota 4Runner (Supercharged), 20' GT350
That kind of sound logic and function over form mentality is lost on people like OP. It doesn't help to try and explain. They don't care. Just shake your head and walk away as the car burps unnecessarily down the road.
I appreciate you speaking on my behalf because obviously you know better.

These cars are built for FUN. I do not live on a racetrack nor do I competitively work for a racing team as their driver.

I am a car enthusiast. I see ZERO issue with enjoying an OEM feature the car comes with. I would never purposely tune the car to overrun; however, heaven forbid I enjoy the car as Ford presents it to me.

Is fuel overrun beneficial to the engine? No. Is it practical? No. Is it designed for performance? No. Is that a big deal? Obviously not if Ford is willing to tune it into their Sport and Track modes while warranting the entire car

It gives me one more thing to play with when I’m putting around town wishing I could be flying around the track. It’s unfortunate that I even have to explain myself...
Sponsored