Sponsored

2 people killed racing mustangs in Houston

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I just rewatched to news report video and it looks like the black mustang still has temp plates on it! SMH
Some of the local groups are saying he had the car less than a month.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Then you have the two cars with people minding their own business, who were injured/killed. That part pisses me off.

I was driving to Mom’s with my family to have Christmas Eve dinner, when some douchebag in a Charger came around me and did a ricer flyby trying to incite a race. I watched him weave around cars like an ass until he was out of sight. He had paper tags. I guess he was giddy about his new pos? We were on a winding road with multiple residential street access. What could go wrong? SMH.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
These things happen because people think they know how to drive. I listen to some of the kids at are car meat and you would swear your talking to a season Indy,Daytona,Le mans,NASCAR, NRHA, racer rolled up in one with their v6 Charger made to look like a SRT Hellcat.

They do stupid things all the time and think because they got away with it its cool. That is until something like this happens. It will die down, and people will stop for a little bit, but it will come right back when the next fool get a car that they think is fast. It always does.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Gotta wonder if either of those “highway racers” were/are members on this very site...

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
That's a pretty sketchy section of 249 to be racing on, lots of places for people to pull out as the story demonstrates. In my street racing days I would never choose that section for a pickup race. Not even in my youngest testosterone inflated days.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
There were some high profile street racing cases in the Toronto area that lead to some of the most draconian traffic laws. Currently being charged with street racing carrys a minimum of double the minimum for drunk driving with automatic licence suspension and impoundment of the car for at least a week:

“If someone is convicted, the fines range from $2,000 to $10,000. For a first conviction, a driver can be slapped with six demerit points, a maximum license suspension of two years, and up to six months in jail.

Courts can also impose a driver licence suspension of up to 10 years for a second conviction within a decade.

5 things you may not know about stunt driving in Ontario
But what, exactly, constitutes stunt driving?

Alongside risky manoeuvres like popping a wheelie, driving with someone in the trunk, or doing doughnuts, it can also mean a variety of other dangerous behaviours. That includes intentionally cutting off another car to intentionally driving too close to another vehicle, pedestrian or object.”

I see more BMW i8s than 5.0s and many non-factory blackout badging has the rear GT painted over in flat black. Right now the police have an ongoing project to stop street racing and you know who is most picked on... The dealership near me has not sold a single 2017 5.0 in months and the single 2018 EcoBoost has finally been sold. Of the 5.0s I see I never saw one take a pull and are driven like little old ladies quite frankly.

I have never been challenged by an EcoBoost and I am almost sure they are on 87 as nobody takes the risk. Get charged with street racing and you sell your car as you will lose your insurance. The only guy I know who drives aggressively drives a V6 just like mine and has been known to have beaten a Porsche Carrera 4 in a most humiliating way and out maneuvered another Porsche on a decreasing radius turn. It’s not car but the driver
The big one in Ontario's stunt driving that gets more than all the other ones added up is that 50 km/h over the limit is an automatic stunt driving charge, and likely a conviction since provincial offences prosecutors have been told not to deal down on that charge.

And not to bring politics into it without a reason, but the snowflakes running this province would never do anything to promote auto sport as it exists now, they'll be happy when we're all in autonomous EVs. That's mostly why no local facility got done, zero political will.

Street racing is idiocy writ large, you think you're a big wheelman, take it to a track and show us how good you are. We've got at least 5 road courses and several drag strips that the public can do track days on at reasonable cost, there's no excuse for doing this on the street.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's a pretty sketchy section of 249 to be racing on, lots of places for people to pull out as the story demonstrates.
the news says this was 249 southbound. So my guess is they were racing on the 65 mph section of tollway, which changed into 45 mph business and residential zone, with one or more stop lights, undivided road and cross traffic, and they kept right on going.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The big one in Ontario's stunt driving that gets more than all the other ones added up is that 50 km/h over the limit is an automatic stunt driving charge, and likely a conviction since provincial offences prosecutors have been told not to deal down on that charge.

And not to bring politics into it without a reason, but the snowflakes running this province would never do anything to promote auto sport as it exists now, they'll be happy when we're all in autonomous EVs. That's mostly why no local facility got done, zero political will.

Street racing is idiocy writ large, you think you're a big wheelman, take it to a track and show us how good you are. We've got at least 5 road courses and several drag strips that the public can do track days on at reasonable cost, there's no excuse for doing this on the street.

Well it all good to say that, but the reality is that street racing is going to happen anyway. And I think in Toronto the politicians and city councillors looked at the drag strip proposal and figured it would not stop anything and in fact it could look as if the city was endorsing the activity by building a drag strip.

So what they did was very heavy handed enforcement in the city with zero enforcement well out of the city in the middle of the night. So I took a drive up a popular highway north out of town in the middle of the night and twenty minutes later this guy in a white Hyundai Genesis comes up to me and takes a playful swipe at me and zooms up the road and onto an off-ramp. My guess is that he was waiting for me to see if I wanted to play (and this match up was pretty even so he sized me up on the highway). I also saw guys in nice performance cars just parked at this auto parts parking lot; and I guess guys met up there and took their cars out of town and had some fun.

What they are doing is still wrong, but at least it is not impacting on ordinary citizens just going about their everyday lives. So who is to say this is not the best solution? Personally as an aging guy I know the track and drag strip solution won’t work. And I also believe it is a good thing to let people do risky activities on their own without the state overseeing it; as long as it does not negatively impact on other citizens living their lives. In the end I think this is the best solution.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
You can street race in "relative" safety but you need to be organized about it.

Pickup races are always dangerous unless you really know the section of road you're on and still it's going to be a mixed bag. Even on rural roads your one deer away from having brain soup in your lap.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Being objective, I'm assuming the driver of the pick-up wasn't paying attention.

I'm not condoning street racing, but the pick-up driver appears to have had his part to play in this disaster.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Being objective, I'm assuming the driver of the pick-up wasn't paying attention.

I'm not condoning street racing, but the pick-up driver appears to have had his part to play in this disaster.
A very tragic event so I didn't want to point that out.

However, 249, West Beltway 8, 99 @ I-10 is generally considered the "Wild West" around here. I was surprised it was Mustangs racing. Usually it's modified diesel pickups running out there.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287

Not looking to argue but that's a bad way to look at it. It's like blaming a robbery victim for not being more aware. You still blame the robber. Sure it's possible maybe this didn't' happen if the pickup driver was more aware. Speaking from experience, at the end of the day the average driver isn't' on the lookout for unexpected behavior of other drivers.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Not looking to argue but that's a bad way to look at it. It's like blaming a robbery victim for not being more aware.
Wellllllllll......a robber is looking to perpetrate a crime, a specific crime. Those racers were just morons, not out to hurt anyone. But they did, most certainly.

I just looked at Google Maps street view, and it's a wide-open area. I am guessing, but I'd think the truck driver pulled right out in front of the Mustang to cause that. The LEOs haven't said anything about the Mustang crossing lanes of traffic to hit the truck, so one can only surmise the truck driver didn't look before they pulled onto the road.

Oddly, the Google Maps street view has a black 2015-2017 GT PP car in the picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.929...EiubfcU4x95_ErWRTCRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Wellllllllll......a robber is looking to perpetrate a crime, a specific crime. Those racers were just morons, not out to hurt anyone. But they did, most certainly.

I just looked at Google Maps street view, and it's a wide-open area. I am guessing, but I'd think the truck driver pulled right out in front of the Mustang to cause that. The LEOs haven't said anything about the Mustang crossing lanes of traffic to hit the truck, so one can only surmise the truck driver didn't look before they pulled onto the road.

Oddly, the Google Maps street view has a black 2015-2017 GT PP car in the picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.929...EiubfcU4x95_ErWRTCRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
True they were not looking to hurt anyone. But they did knowingly act in a reckless manner that they should've known would endanger others. Without getting too far into the law, that is criminal. Traffic crashes can have multiple causes but if one of those causes is criminal and the other just accidental or enhanced by the criminal act (enhanced speed) then that is where the fault lies.
Sponsored