Sponsored

2 month impressions '19 GT manual

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Had my GT base manual 2 months now. Almost 1000mi (not a daily commuter) and for the most part, still loving it. Originally had my sights set on an A10 and test drove many of them and while they're faster than the stick, the stick was so much more satisfying/fun to drive for me. I have no daily commute (work from home) so I'm glad I got the manual. Zero regrets there.

The only sort of nuances:
1-I have aftermarket wheels/tires and sometimes while driving it'll sound like there are pebbles/rocks stuck in the rear tires as I hear a slight chatter from the rear wheels that stays constant for awhile.(not the engine tick). This happens occasionally and then it goes away. No clue but it's minor.
2-Occasional little rattle/squeak from the center console. This is also random and goes away usually. Minor.

Awesome things:
1-Car sounds incredible stock. Just cruising around/whatever...what sound! Perfect.
2-Noticeably more torque than the '17 GT I test drove in the past. This car doesn't need to be revved as much to feel the torque. I can take slower right turns in 3rd gear no problem and it's still got good grunt.
3-I like the 3.55 gearing. Have driven the 3.73 manual PP and they were decent but the 3.55s are perfect IMO. Super pleased.
4-Haven't noticed any ticking engine issues so far. But I haven't changed the oil yet either. Debating whether to use Ceratec on 1st oil change or not.
5-Cloth stock seats are very supportive and comfortable.
6-I don't track/autocross but handling IMO is awesome for the street. I have no issues.

I'm only averaging around 17-18mpg 50/50 mix of hwy and side roads. Not great of course but to be expected. I don't baby it.

No regrets at all thus far. All in all, incredible car! Especially for the price (massively discounted).
Sponsored

Last edited:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Beautiful car. I love the tranny in these things - best stick I’ve ever driven. I couldn’t imagine having the auto- I’d have nothing to look forward to as all my other cars/truck are auto.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Beautiful car. I love the tranny in these things - best stick I’ve ever driven. I couldn’t imagine having the auto- I’d have nothing to look forward to as all my other cars/truck are auto.
Agreed. I had a Focus ST and test drove an BMW M240i manual. Both manuals were good but throws were too long. I love the short throws on the GT and it shifts great.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Glad you like it Nomad! They are a huge performance bargain with the discounting. Just sold a 15 c7 a8 (67k list new) and honestly my base pp1 a10 is just more fun to drive for 1/2 the cost imo.

Last edited:

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Agreed. I had a Focus ST and test drove an BMW M240i manual. Both manuals were good but throws were too long. I love the short throws on the GT and it shifts great.
I had an ST also. I had the Barton put in mine... I LOVE it. I did opt for all the addition springs, its eased up some but maybe should have not added the optional ones. The shifting is great tho and almost 0 play in the shift.

Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am with you guys on the shifting, it is very much like my past 2016 Miata ND. Very precise rifle bolt and short throws- love it. It is one of the main reasons I bought the car.

Hopefully you do not get the tick/rattle. Mine came even before I changed the oil. I am not even sure when I first heard it. It may have done it from day one and did not hear or listen for it until I read this forum. I too am tempted to use Ceratec but kind of against any additive.

I have no squeaks or rattles (other than the 2K engine rattle) after 5K miles. I still love the car and miss it. I have it tucked away in a storage unit as my project Bronco had to come home and is taking up my garage space due to two body shop guys scamming me. I have to do the restoration myself now and it's tying my garage up for a few months. And I did not want to leave my brand new GT in the street and exposed to the hot FL sun every day all day long.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Glad that you are still enjoying it!

I had a rattle from the center dash, and it turned out to be some broken clips. It was fixed under warranty and even though it was a small thing, it makes driving it that much better. I don't know if yours is as easily fixed, but I'd bring it up next time you take it to the dealer.

I just had my first oil change and I haven't noticed any ticking so far.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'd let it break in, then add Ceratec (or whenever I start to hear the piston slap) and it sounds like yours IS broken in. Hope you do NOT hear the piston slap. Perhaps adding Ceratec may make it so you never hear the slap. That would be welcome.

I have not yet picked mine up. Another 2 weeks or so. Assuming the posts aren't exaggerating, I have read so far that this engine seems to have a lot of metal in it from the factory, so I plan to change the oil at 100 miles to get rid of the metal shavings and again at 1,000 miles, at which time I plan to add Ceratec and call it broken in. No point in adding friction reducing agent if the rings aren't seated or they may never seat !

From what I hear, Ceratec is good for about 10 - 15k miles. I'll probably renew it every 10k or so, or whenever I start to hear the piston slap. If you hear it, you are getting cylinder scoring and probably should take care of it quickly. Damage prevention is better than damage mitigation, at least to me.

About the console rattle, can you tell where it comes from? Lots of times plastic on plastic will squeak. Some lubricant applied at any obvious wear points might help a LOT, might not. Hard to say until you try it. Funny, but plastic on metal doesn't wear out at all, just slides. Wonder why they don't design it that way?

Good luck with your new Pony! Cheers to all.

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice car, like the wheels.. they’re different in a good way.

My previous car was also a Focus ST and when i bought that car, the shifter was the best thing in the world. When I got my GT, it made the ST feel like a wet noodle.

Still miss that car daily though.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd let it break in, then add Ceratec (or whenever I start to hear the piston slap) and it sounds like your IS broken in. Hope you do NOT hear the piston slap. Perhaps adding Ceratec may make it so you never hear the slap. That would be welcome.

I have not yet picked mine up. Another 2 weeks or so. Assuming the posts aren't exaggerating, I have read so far that this engine seems to have a lot of metal in it from the factory, so I plan to change the oil at 100 miles to get rid of the metal shavings and again at 1,000 miles, at which time I plan to add Ceratec and call it broken in. No point in adding friction reducing agent if the rings aren't seated or they may never seat !

From what I hear, Ceratec is good for about 10 - 15k miles. I'll probably renew it every 10k or so, or whenever I start to hear the piston slap. If you hear it, you are getting cylinder scoring and probably should take care of it quickly. Damage prevention is better than damage mitigation, at least to me.

About the console rattle, can you tell where it comes from? Lots of times plastic on plastic will squeak. Some lubricant applied at any obvious wear points might help a LOT, might not. Hard to say until you try it. Funny, but plastic on metal doesn't wear out at all, just slides. Wonder why they don;t design it that way?

Good luck with your new Pony! Cheers to all.
I won’t be changing the oil as I’m in a community underground garage. Will have to have the shop do it and make room for the Ceratec.

Rattle in dash seems to come right in front of the radio. Last night I drove it and it didn’t make any noise. I usually have the windows cracked or down, but last night didn’t hear anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice car, like the wheels.. they’re different in a good way.

My previous car was also a Focus ST and when i bought that car, the shifter was the best thing in the world. When I got my GT, it made the ST feel like a wet noodle.

Still miss that car daily though.
Thanks. I got wheels primarily for the weight. Only 20.75 lbs each. Weighed like 4lbs less per wheel than the 18s that came on the car.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Great car save the manuals! Keep buying them people :D

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Had my GT base manual 2 months now. Almost 1000mi (not a daily commuter) and for the most part, still loving it. Originally had my sights set on an A10 and test drove many of them and while they're faster than the stick, the stick was so much more satisfying/fun to drive for me. I have no daily commute (work from home) so I'm glad I got the manual. Zero regrets there.

The only sort of nuances:
1-I have aftermarket wheels/tires and sometimes while driving it'll sound like I'm pebbles/rocks are stuck in the rear tires/or that I'm going over pebbles as I'll hear a slight chatter from the rear wheels (not the engine tick). This happens occasionally and then it goes away. No clue but it's minor.
2-Occasional little rattle/squeak from the center console. This is also random and goes away usually. Minor.

Awesome things:
1-Car sounds incredible stock. Just cruising around/whatever...what sound! Perfect.
2-Noticeably more torque than the '17 GT I test drove in the past. This car doesn't need to be revved as much to feel the torque. I can take slower right turns in 3rd gear no problem and it's still got good grunt.
3-I like the 3.55 gearing. Have driven the 3.73 manual PP and they were decent but the 3.55s are perfect IMO. Super pleased.
4-Haven't noticed any ticking engine issues so far. But I haven't changed the oil yet either. Debating whether to use Ceratec on 1st oil change or not.
5-Cloth stock seats are very supportive and comfortable.
6-I don't track/autocross but handling IMO is awesome for the street. I have no issues.

I'm only averaging around 17-18mpg 50/50 mix of hwy and side roads. Not great of course but to be expected. I don't baby it.

No regrets at all thus far. All in all, incredible car! Especially for the price (massively discounted).
Love those wheels on that color. Nice indeed.

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
Your car looks awesome!

just out of curiosity, you had a 2015 with a supercharger, no? what made you sell that car and buy a 18??

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Nice and I love the wheels. I can’t stand black wheels but many love them so ... okay.

Manuals are so much more fun. I could see it if I needed a auto for commuting or going to the drag strip but for hooligans, sticks are the way to go.
Sponsored