SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Regarding the 4 door, much like the Ecoboost some will recoil in horror. Some will welcome it as a trade-off between the car they want and the car they need. The rest of us will carry on buying whichever variant we want.
I'm not concerning myself until they announce they're discontinuing the 2 door :wink:

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anyone who buys a 4 door Mustang, because it is the car they 'need', doesn't really want a Mustang.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Anyone who buys a 4 door Mustang, because it is the car they 'need', doesn't really want a Mustang.
So true. All the four door Mustang will do is just weaken the Mustang brand.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Really? Some people have families and (gasp) some can't afford to run weekend toys in addition to the daily. If I had a straight choice between an Audi Q5 and a 4 door Mustang I know what i'd be taking regardless of it not being what I absolutely wanted. If Ford build this car it won't be on a whim, it'll be because they've identified a market for it.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Really? Some people have families and (gasp) some can't afford to run weekend toys in addition to the daily. If I had a straight choice between an Audi Q5 and a 4 door Mustang I know what i'd be taking regardless of it not being what I absolutely wanted. If Ford build this car it won't be on a whim, it'll be because they've identified a market for it.
Agree. I'll probably hate it, like most Mustang enthusiast, but it would sell. Didn't take someone long to photoshop this;

IMG_7292.jpg

SurfOrFight

SurfOrFight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Auto Ruby Red 2016
Vehicle Showcase
It really does not add up. They have binned the Fusion/Mondeo as a dead market car; a saloon with 4 doors. Then Hey guys lets put 2 more doors on the mustang.

Why not just put a decent engine in the Fusion/ Mondeo and maybe put an electric motor in the power train and a body refresh with a German styled cack-eyed front end to keep the masses happy?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well don't buy a Mustang then. Ford will ruin the Mustang brand by trying to copy the European car manufacturers with coupes and saloons. The Mustang is popular because it's desirable, making it a family friendly saloon will just create another Mondeo. And look at the sales figures on that

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have 2 children under the age of 11, no wife, no second car, a 70 year old mother who doesnā€™t drive and often needs tuning to the supermarket. I often have to drive down a rough track to work and frequently have to park in fields and on farms. I wanted a Mustang and, although not always ideal, Iā€™ve never struggled with my 2 door coupe. Iā€™ve can fit a weeks worth of luggage and both kidsā€™ bikes in the boot. Last week I transported a door and all the tools to fit it in the car. Itā€™s more versatile than you think and it looks, feels and sounds the business. If a 4 door version had been available at the time I bought mine for the same price, or even less, I would have still opted for the 2 door. If a 4 door comes available in the future, that might be the point that my relationship with the Mustang ends. Why? Because I wanted a Mustang, not another car with a Mustang badge on it.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Well don't buy a Mustang then.
Who are you to say who should buy what? If there's a four door in the showroom it's there to be bought.

Ford will ruin the Mustang brand by trying to copy the European car manufacturers with coupes and saloons. The Mustang is popular because it's desirable, making it a family friendly saloon will just create another Mondeo. And look at the sales figures on that
I guess they'd never thought of that. You should write to them before they make a huge mistake.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess they'd never thought of that. You should write to them before they make a huge mistake.
Who said they are going to build a 4 door, it's only a rumour?
Maybe you should also suggest to Ford they build a Mustang SUV, hatchback as well as a saloon. We could even have a Mustang Transit Van. How good would that be??? Who are you to say that three people shouldn't be able to sit comfortably in the front with their tools in the back??

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In other territories, Ford have a model called a Taurus. Itā€™s a saloon that is historically a step up in size and performance over the Mondeo (or Fusion).

With a few cosmetic revisions, chassis tweaks, and a twin turbo V8 it would make more sense to have something like that as a sports saloon. Would be more along the lines of a Kia Stinger or a blue collar version of a more exotic manufacturers 4 door saloon. Personally (and I emphasise personally) that would be far more appealing to me than a Mustang with an identity crisis.

Iā€™d even buy a Mondeo if it was available with a V8. Not bad looking cars these days and practical too.

Iā€™m sure Ford do do their market research on these things, but itā€™s not unheard of for them to do a U turn based on customer opinion. After all the Ford Probe was meant to be the Mustang in the early 90s, but ended up being made along side the ā€˜new waveā€™ Mustang after poor reception of a FWD V6 Mustang replacement. Pretty sure this time round too that the Mustang narrowly avoided being built on the Mondeo platform thanks to public opinion.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Who said they are going to build a 4 door, it's only a rumour?
Maybe you should also suggest to Ford they build a Mustang SUV, hatchback as well as a saloon. We could even have a Mustang Transit Van. How good would that be??? Who are you to say that three people shouldn't be able to sit comfortably in the front with their tools in the back??
Apologies, I didn't mean that to sound as dick-ish as it does on a re-read :facepalm:
I did say "if" they built it. Four doors isn't for me either and i'll be quite happy if it remains a rumour, however the concept doesn't offend me as much as the proposed Mach1 SUV. And i'm all for sporty Trannies - spent many a happy hour in one - no need for Mustanging them up.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apologies, I didn't mean that to sound as dick-ish as it does on a re-read :facepalm:
I did say "if" they built it. Four doors isn't for me either and i'll be quite happy if it remains a rumour, however the concept doesn't offend me as much as the proposed Mach1 SUV. And i'm all for sporty Trannies - spent many a happy hour in one - no need for Mustanging them up.
No you're fine! We're just having a friendly debate!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
both Porsche and Ferrari made very good looking 4 doors which in the case of the germans was a miracle as their usual fare is shit.
Sponsored