Sponsored

2.9l v6 twin turbo rumor...

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Why (?), the GT people will still buy a GT because they want the v8 and the high-revving visceral experience.

I don't think it would matter if the SVO & the Bullitt has the same performance, they are getting there two different ways. A v8 is a premium vehicle now & a stout turbo engine will lead the way in efficiency, there is no way around this.
We can blame the marketing people(who often don't know anything about demographics) for this as they figure a TTv6 will cannabalize sales of the GT. That is why I like Audi even though I don't own/want one. Audi puts every available engine in every body style-screw cannibalization. e,g. a few years back Audi wanted to put the largest engine available=dohc V8 with AWD into the smalllest body style they had=the A4. The engine couldn't fit because of the front accessory drive set up. Did they abandon the project? Heck no! They completely redesigned the front of the engine and made it fit.

I like this marketing strategy: "We don't care which model/version of our cars you buy-just buy one!
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I vote they tune a Lincoln 3.0 V6 to around 375hp to bridge the gap between 310 and 460. If people buy them and tune them to dust GTs in a drag race, I hope they also enjoy having no warranty.

Technology has taken the 4-cylinder engine to unreal heights, but what's the point in stressing the 2.3 even further when they have a better option sitting right under their noses? At some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in when reliability begins to suffer.

There's still a huge market for V-8 Mustangs with the guys that turn up their their noses at any Mustang that isn't a GT, so I can't imagine cannibalism being an issue with using a V6. Everyone might as well get used to the idea of smaller, high-output engines replacing the N/A V-8. A strong V6 could put them on the road to that realization...especially when one leaves them behind on the drag strip. I don't want this to happen any more than anyone else, but the death of the V-8 is at our doorsteps. I just hope the replacements aren't even more expensive than the V-8. $30,000 is an eye-watering price (to me) for a car with no leather or options.

The other downside to this situation is the price of technology. Would love to know the price point of a TT V6 Mustang.

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
We can blame the marketing people(who often don't know anything about demographics) for this as they figure a TTv6 will cannabalize sales of the GT. That is why I like Audi even though I don't own/want one. Audi puts every available engine in every body style-screw cannibalization. e,g. a few years back Audi wanted to put the largest engine available=dohc V8 with AWD into the smalllest body style they had=the A4. The engine couldn't fit because of the front accessory drive set up. Did they abandon the project? Heck no! They completely redesigned the front of the engine and made it fit.

I like this marketing strategy: "We don't care which model/version of our cars you buy-just buy one!
Who cares if a ttv6 would cannabilize the sales of the GT...?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
There is also a 505 hp 2.9L twin turbo out there in the alpha romeos, but it is built by Ferrari.
There's also a BMW Inline 6 twin turbo in the X3M and X4M that can hit 503. Expect that to wind up in the next gen M3 and M4. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...2020-bmw-x3-m-x4-m-reveal-photos-specs-price/

Who cares if a ttv6 would cannabilize the sales of the GT...?
Ford's Financial Staff. The people who control what money gets spent on which projects.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
There is also a 3.5 liter v6 turbo that puts out 647hp.... by Ford.
I can't see that ever being used other than for the halo car....would be awesome though.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
If a TTV6 is utilized in the Mustang; for the V8 to keep pace, Ford should add a small turbo charger to the V8 for the low end TQ and the added HP. That would be one heck of a set-up.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah 3.0 Turbos range form like 330-400HP already from many makers. I think Ford and Infiniti are the ones making the 400 mark though. I know that Infiniti's is really making closer to 440.
A FWD MKZ 3.0 made 350 to all four wheels, I haven't seen a dyno for the AWD version but the I have seen tuned MKZ's at the track otherwise stock dip into the 12's. I can picture a Mustang with the 3.0 twin turbo's being a blast to drive, heck it sure makes the MKZ a blast.
Sponsored