Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Finally broke in the new Tacoma. A few longer trips, 3.5 hours one-way and a 2-hour one way to see my nephew graduate with an Engineering degree from MSOE.

The 2024 is solid over my outgoing 2016 SR. Interior is functional and good; seats are comfier to the point I love driving it over my 2022 Corolla SE daily driver. Ride quality has improved due to the coils in the rear. But it is still a 4x4 truck and not a Lexus.

The stance is exceptional. With the RC level kit, it rides as tall as any standard 1/2-ton full-size truck. The ground clearance with the larger 265/70 on factory 18's is right around 12 full inches up front and double digits over the rear axle. Plenty enough for the worst weather in Central Wisconsin.

The truck is constantly turning heads on 2-lane roads and getting extra looks on the highways or in town. It is one exceptional looking Tacoma in Bronze Oxide color with the TRD trim.

The 6MT is typical Toyota. The first 1,000 miles I took it easy, shifting slowly. Now, I am shifting it like I have in the past with my 2010 SR5, 2005 X-Runner, 1997 2wd, 1985 2wd, 1986 2wd and 4wd. It is a typical Toyota gearbox but feels better than my 2010 5-speed and even my 6-speed in the X-Runner. I actually like it for a pickup truck.

I hit the rev limiter on a few occasions, worked like it was supposed to. No more ECT button, has plenty of power especially in lower gears with that awesome 4.30 gears in the rear. No complaints. Ran briefly in 4wd modes, locked in and out with no issues. I tried the 1st gear launch in low range to see if anything changed, but right back to 2nd gear for low range launches will be the rule of the game.

Mods: RC level kit and 265/70 BFG ko2's were done at the dealer before I picked it up. Since then, I added the engine cover and rear draw bar for the hitch receiver. Waiting on aluminum skid plate from Victory 4x4. I also have 2 full-size spare (265/70 ko2) tires using Tundra 18x9's with spacer with my 2 1/4 ton jack I carry. Next up for this year will be a hard tri-fold cover before winter. I also run the TRD air filter from the dealer install.

Next year, some sort of tire carrier, roof basket system or rear swing-gate bumper system?

Pro's:

6-speed manual is back with the 4-cylinder! Nothing else to say about that.

4.30 off-road gearing in the rear 9.5" axle.

Awesome stance with level kit and just 265/70 on nice looking factory 18 TRD wheels.

Bronze Oxide color or as I like to say, the Pyrite Mica of today.

Fresh and functional interior with better seats.

TRD Sport hood scoop, laugh all you want, but it really makes the Tacoma look even that much better.

Coil sprung rear adds road comfort over outgoing leaf's.

4wd knob is great, better than outgoing model.

Con's:

5-foot bed, miss the 6-foot with my outgoing SR, and no, did not want the 6-foot due to horrible breakover angle. Would rather have the access cab variant brought back.

Tailgate is much lighter and less dense than my tough metal one with my 2016 SR. I would drive my 500 lbs. tractor lawn mower up and down that tailgate but would not even dare with this new model.

Interest rates, too political for this Forum to handle this topic.

E-brake gets some getting used to.

Overall, impressed and love this new truck. One of a kind with the color, Sport version and 6MT with my setup.

Glad I found this one at a dealer 350 miles away. Well worth the trip to pick her up.

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT taco1

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240413_173431

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240415_162311

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240413_084200

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240424_162856

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240425_154844

2024 Tacoma 2,000-mile update, TRD Sport 6MT thumbnail_20240425_154816
Sponsored

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Forgot to mention:

MSRP was $44,254 with just heated seats, mud guards, tailgate inserts, door edge guards and charging cables pkg which I actually use.

I walked out of dealer in the $52,000 range with sales tax and registration, extended factory warranty to 10 years/100,000, spacer lift and tires with alignment at dealer completed before pickup, plus installed bed mat, all-weather floor liners, TRD air filter, coin holder.

Proving once again, you can buy at bottom end of TRD model and come out really good at premium priced TRD model with sales tax, tire pkg and extended warranty all covered.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Nice truck. I have the same color sport. No mods yet, other than the air dam removal. Does the level kit make the ride any harsher?

Reactions: oxi

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I get that Toyota is still gunshy when it comes to floor mats and accelerator pedals, but the coverage with that all weather mat is laughable. Hopefully Husky, WeatherTech, and TuxMat offer good options.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
How do you find the 1-2 shift? I haven't had the opportunity to drive the previous gen manual transmission but my 4th gen absolutely hates shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can hardly ever get a smooth shift and there's always a slight clunky noise to it even with iMT on unless I get the perfect amount of gas on clutch release.

I find myself shifting 1-2 super quick to avoid it as much as possible and shifting slower for the rest of the gears, unfortunately that's after causing me to grind more than once so I'm trying to play it extra safe now. Don't want to be the first person having to replace a transmission 😁

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Nice truck. I have the same color sport. No mods yet, other than the air dam removal. Does the level kit make the ride any harsher?
I really do not know. When compared to my 2016 SR, the ride has improved but it will still be bouncy at times depending on the roads.

I rarely keep stock size tires on. My 2010 SR5 was a horrible ride with factory 245/75 R16, but when I placed 265/75 R16 ko's, it improved.

Down in Baja my 1986 ran 35's, and it was like a 3rd shock absorber for the truck per wheel. Larger meats give easier cheeks in terms of comfort.

OP
OP
oxi

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
How do you find the 1-2 shift? I haven't had the opportunity to drive the previous gen manual transmission but my 4th gen absolutely hates shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can hardly ever get a smooth shift and there's always a slight clunky noise to it even with iMT on unless I get the perfect amount of gas on clutch release.

I find myself shifting 1-2 super quick to avoid it as much as possible and shifting slower for the rest of the gears, unfortunately that's after causing me to grind more than once so I'm trying to play it extra safe now. Don't want to be the first person having to replace a transmission 😁

1st to 2nd is what it is, not the greatest. You can do 10 in a row perfect and that one time, boom you miss a perfect shift and comes out horrible or jerky. Just have to live with it and keep finessing it.

1st to 2nd is too quick and by the time you regroup you are on 3rd then it gets easier.

Miss my 1998 Celica GTS beater, that had the best gerabox I have ever driven. So precise and short throws perfect everytime.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
1st to 2nd is what it is, not the greatest. You can do 10 in a row perfect and that one time, boom you miss a perfect shift and comes out horrible or jerky. Just have to live with it and keep finessing it.

1st to 2nd is too quick and by the time you regroup you are on 3rd then it gets easier.

Miss my 1998 Celica GTS beater, that had the best gerabox I have ever driven. So precise and short throws perfect everytime.
Glad to know it's not just me! Haha. I would've like to see Toyota follow the Bronco's footsteps. Having a longer 1st gear and a seperate crawl gear.

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Finally broke in the new Tacoma. A few longer trips, 3.5 hours one-way and a 2-hour one way to see my nephew graduate with an Engineering degree from MSOE.

The 2024 is solid over my outgoing 2016 SR. Interior is functional and good; seats are comfier to the point I love driving it over my 2022 Corolla SE daily driver. Ride quality has improved due to the coils in the rear. But it is still a 4x4 truck and not a Lexus.

The stance is exceptional. With the RC level kit, it rides as tall as any standard 1/2-ton full-size truck. The ground clearance with the larger 265/70 on factory 18's is right around 12 full inches up front and double digits over the rear axle. Plenty enough for the worst weather in Central Wisconsin.

The truck is constantly turning heads on 2-lane roads and getting extra looks on the highways or in town. It is one exceptional looking Tacoma in Bronze Oxide color with the TRD trim.

The 6MT is typical Toyota. The first 1,000 miles I took it easy, shifting slowly. Now, I am shifting it like I have in the past with my 2010 SR5, 2005 X-Runner, 1997 2wd, 1985 2wd, 1986 2wd and 4wd. It is a typical Toyota gearbox but feels better than my 2010 5-speed and even my 6-speed in the X-Runner. I actually like it for a pickup truck.

I hit the rev limiter on a few occasions, worked like it was supposed to. No more ECT button, has plenty of power especially in lower gears with that awesome 4.30 gears in the rear. No complaints. Ran briefly in 4wd modes, locked in and out with no issues. I tried the 1st gear launch in low range to see if anything changed, but right back to 2nd gear for low range launches will be the rule of the game.

Mods: RC level kit and 265/70 BFG ko2's were done at the dealer before I picked it up. Since then, I added the engine cover and rear draw bar for the hitch receiver. Waiting on aluminum skid plate from Victory 4x4. I also have 2 full-size spare (265/70 ko2) tires using Tundra 18x9's with spacer with my 2 1/4 ton jack I carry. Next up for this year will be a hard tri-fold cover before winter. I also run the TRD air filter from the dealer install.

Next year, some sort of tire carrier, roof basket system or rear swing-gate bumper system?

Pro's:

Awesome stance with level kit and just 265/70 on nice looking factory 18 TRD wheels.

TRD Sport hood scoop, laugh all you want, but it really makes the Tacoma look even that much better.

Con's:

5-foot bed, miss the 6-foot with my outgoing SR, and no, did not want the 6-foot due to horrible breakover angle. Would rather have the access cab variant brought back.

Tailgate is much lighter and less dense than my tough metal one with my 2016 SR. I would drive my 500 lbs. tractor lawn mower up and down that tailgate but would not even dare with this new model.

Overall, impressed and love this new truck. One of a kind with the color, Sport version and 6MT with my setup.

Glad I found this one at a dealer 350 miles away. Well worth the trip to pick her up.

taco1.jpg

thumbnail_20240413_173431.jpg

thumbnail_20240415_162311.jpg

thumbnail_20240413_084200.jpg

thumbnail_20240424_162856.jpg

thumbnail_20240425_154844.jpg

thumbnail_20240425_154816.jpg
Excellent description oxi and thanks. Still waiting on my BlueCrushMetallic TRD Sport 6MT here in Texas. in a youtube video the lead engineer of the 4th gen, Sheldon Brown, said a couple of times it's a shorter throw compared to the 3rd gen MT. Have you noticed this on your Tacoma ?

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport

Pro's:

Con's:

taco1.jpg

thumbnail_20240413_173431.jpg

thumbnail_20240415_162311.jpg

thumbnail_20240413_084200.jpg

thumbnail_20240424_162856.jpg

thumbnail_20240425_154844.jpg

thumbnail_20240425_154816.jpg
My preference was another manual but I wouldn’t give up the 6’ box. Ordered the bronze oxide OR without ever seeing one. I believe this is the best color truck I’ve owned. Additional, it can be filthy and it hides that so well. Great color for traveling gravel roads!

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I get that Toyota is still gunshy when it comes to floor mats and accelerator pedals, but the coverage with that all weather mat is laughable. Hopefully Husky, WeatherTech, and TuxMat offer good options.
My Huskys just shipped today. They are available now. OEM all weather mats are horrible

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yea 1-2 gear shift is hard . Its true u can get perfect shifts in couple times and then again u will have one where it will jerk or u have go really slow in shifting to go smooth . Rest of the gears are super fine

Want-a-taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Should be rubber floors in the TRD models, not carpet. Actually in all models in Canada. Carpet takes a beating in the winter with slush and salt.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
My sales rep said all of the trd models come with the rubber floor mats. Mine were missing but they pulled them from another and ordered replacements.