1st oil change @ dealer-interesting convo. Warning: tick content

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I don't see something like Ceratec magically stopping something like piston slap so I can't see it as being the source. As for the Direct Injection it can't be that either since previous Coyotes did it as well while only being Port Injected. My vote goes for oil cavitation that's been suggested on here too.
It's got to be cavitation. But it sounds like a chain flopping against a metal pan.
2019 GT with 12500km on the car. This year I did my seasonal year end-of-year oil change after 4500km. Oil in the pan was Penzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic 10W30 that contained 1 bottle of Ceratec that was added back in April when the car came out of hibernation.

Drove it 4500km this year and had no abnormal engine noise that I could tell.
Old oil and Ceratec was drained and replaced with fresh PUP 10W30 oil. Oil filter was filled with fresh PUP oil before starting.

1st cold start out in the driveway with fresh no Ceratec in the oil. Ambient temperature around 12 degrees C.
I heard this random loud clacking noise when I got out of the car. This is what it sounded like:

The sound was loudest under the passenger side. Opening the hood, I could tell the noise was not from the valve cover area.
After 5 minutes idling the noise seemed to quiet down slightly and became synchronous with the other engine sounds but still loud:

And lastly still noisy a few more minutes later after pulling into the garage. The engine noise can be heard pretty much everywhere reverberating off the floor and walls:

In the spring I am going to record the same video. Then add Ceratec to the oil to compare.
The noise is a bit unnerving but the car runs and pulls great. No oil consumption at all that I can measure. I really don't know what to think of this except keep driving until something bad happens.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
It's got to be cavitation. But it sounds like a chain flopping against a metal pan.
2019 GT with 12500km on the car. This year I did my seasonal year end-of-year oil change after 4500km. Oil in the pan was Penzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic 10W30 that contained 1 bottle of Ceratec that was added back in April when the car came out of hibernation.

Old oil and Ceratec was drained and replaced with fresh PUP 10W30 oil. Oil filter was filled with fresh PUP oil before starting.

1st cold start out in the driveway with fresh no Ceratec in the oil. Ambient temperature around 12 degrees C.
I heard this random loud clacking noise when I got out of the car. This is what it sounded like:

The sound was loudest under the passenger side. Opening the hood, I could tell the noise was not from the valve cover area.
After 5 minutes idling the noise seemed to quiet down slightly and became synchronous with the other engine sounds but still loud:

And lastly still noisy a few more minutes later after pulling into the garage. The engine noise can be heard pretty much everywhere reverberating off the floor and walls:

In the spring I am going to record the same video. Then add Ceratec to the oil to compare.
The noise is a bit unnerving but the car runs and pulls great. No oil consumption at all that I can measure. I really don't know what to think of this except keep driving until something bad happens.
the first vid has what i've heard in other cars as the "typewriter tick. loud and very inconsistent.
in the second, it does seem to smooth out. two friends of mine have the first vid sound...all the time! one is waiting for an engine swap over four months now? it's a real brain strain.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I don't have a v8, so take this for what it is worth.
Has anyone checked to see if the tick isn't the direct injectors , is the high pressure pump electric or mechanical that pushes the fuel psi to 800+psi?
is the thicker oil and/or oil additive just quiting down the injector pump? That everyone thinks id a cam follower tick
Just throwing it out there.
The high pressure pump is mechanical, running off a camshaft on the right side. The new Corvette Z06 engine located the pump in the valley to reduce the noise. Hmmm...

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A

Hey Todd,

I'm not hearing anything I haven't heard on my car there when really paying attention. These are noisy SOB's that's for sure. Mine has a 2k rattle to beat the band too. Car runs strong as Hell and uses virtually no oil maybe .5 of a liter in 5000km. I'm coming up on 23k KM. My car has only run dealer 5W20 Syn Blend so far.

I had the oil changed about 1500 km ago so I feel it will still be clean enough oil when parking the car and typically if I get a few nice dry days I'll pull her out for a good long rip.

As for storage, I typically add a bit of air to the tires, top off with 91 and add fuel stabilizer (though likely not needed) & plug in a battery tender Jr. I did the same thing with my Camaro SS for 6 or more winters and never had an issue with that.

I keep my garage pretty spotless which I think helps to keep the rodents at bay too.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hey Todd,

I'm not hearing anything I haven't heard on my car there when really paying attention. These are noisy SOB's that's for sure. Mine has a 2k rattle to beat the band too. Car runs strong as Hell and uses virtually no oil maybe .5 of a liter in 5000km. I'm coming up on 23k KM. My car has only run dealer 5W20 Syn Blend so far.

I had the oil changed about 1500 km ago so I feel it will still be clean enough oil when parking the car and typically if I get a few nice dry days I'll pull her out for a good long rip.

As for storage, I typically add a bit of air to the tires, top off with 91 and add fuel stabilizer (though likely not needed) & plug in a battery tender Jr. I did the same thing with my Camaro SS for 6 or more winters and never had an issue with that.

I keep my garage pretty spotless which I think helps to keep the rodents at bay too.
Thanks! That is reassuring to know. I am sure the noise is normal. It's just odd and I am not accustomed to the racket. It was especially apparent after the oil change running clean oil with no additives. Ceratec really helps to quiet it down.
I also have the sustained light load 2K noise as well. Very rarely am I holding that RPM range long enough to hear it.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
This is me wondering: Assuming the oil from the factory has a higher Boron content to keep engine quiet, maybe is best practice to change the oil after the computer tells you so? In this way, the engine is fully coated with Boron and you don’t need the ceratec

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
This is me wondering: Assuming the oil from the factory has a higher Boron content to keep engine quiet, maybe is best practice to change the oil after the computer tells you so? In this way, the engine is fully coated with Boron and you don’t need the ceratec
This may in fact be true. I recently started getting the change oil “soon” nag at startup at 2300 miles, but I had owned the car a year from new so it wasn’t unexpected. But I was shocked to find zero mention of the initial oil change in the owner’s manual, other than the standard 7500 mile interval. So I got on the phone and called 5 or 6 local dealers who told me that yes, 7500 miles was the first interval too. A couple of them said they personally recommended 5000 miles.
Given it had been a year, I went ahead and did the 5W20 full syn change at 2400 miles.

I don’t know yet if I have developed the tick or not, but they told me to expect it. It amazes me that Ford has not publicly identified and acknowledged the tick other than in a TSB. Seems to me that it would reassure owners and uncomplicate things for them.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seems to me that it would reassure owners and uncomplicate things for them.
What would reassure the owners would be knowing what's causing it. Simply repeating publicly what they say in the TSB wouldn't help anyone. That TSB is garbage anyway.
They don't say what it is either because they have no idea, or because they do have an idea and they know it's bad, and acknowledging it would be too costly for them. I'd like to think it's the former, but sadly the latter seems more likely.

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What would reassure the owners would be knowing what's causing it. Simply repeating publicly what they say in the TSB wouldn't help anyone. That TSB is garbage anyway.
They don't say what it is either because they have no idea, or because they do have an idea and they know it's bad, and acknowledging it would be too costly for them. I'd like to think it's the former, but sadly the latter seems more likely.
There's also the possibility that the explanation could be a bit technical and could easily be misinterpreted, by the average shmoe, so instead of dealing with armchair mechanics they just release a tsb saying it's normal.

Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
maybe ...it's a virus? they don't really know much about those either lol

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's also the possibility that the explanation could be a bit technical and could easily be misinterpreted, by the average shmoe, so instead of dealing with armchair mechanics they just release a tsb saying it's normal.
The explanation is bound to be technical. And a TSB is targeted specifically at dealership technicians, who are supposed to be able to understand technical stuff.
Many other TSBs include the cause of the issue. And it's always technical. So I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. :blush:

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
I believe this issue is moot. I haven’t read about any Coyote engine failures due to the typewriter tick. This engine has been around for awhile and if there was something unusual like the Voodo engine, it would have been exposed by now. No engine is perfect and any potential buyer with some ability to do an online search would have stumble on this issue.

I come from the Porsche world and you can’t believe how forgiving Porsche owners are for some engine defects that are beyond a ticking noise

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The explanation is bound to be technical. And a TSB is targeted specifically at dealership technicians, who are supposed to be able to understand technical stuff.
Many other TSBs include the cause of the issue. And it's always technical. So I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. :blush:
Ya, if there's a fix. This isn't the first tsb to just say "this is normal" from ford. Buy it or not, your theories are a bit pessimistic for something a lot of these engines have hit 100k+ miles with having. I still have yet to see an example of a failure due to the bbq/typewriter tick.

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
I think the Air thing he' talking about is that at one point the Oil pump gears were generating small air bubbles and the ticking is the sound of the bubbles popping resonating through the engine.
That would mean cavitation, and lots of ruined engines since 5.0 come back in 2011. But that's not the case, so back to friction based phenomenon theory.
Sponsored