1st Mods on 2020 GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I feel your frustration; still waiting since mid October for my front splitter. :facepalm:
Oh yea, I about forgot about that. Are they going to let you keep the old one?

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (CFTP), others
Oh yea, I about forgot about that. Are they going to let you keep the old one?
Not sure at this point, but I certainly won't bring it up when the correct one finally arrives. I ve called the customer service line a few times and the claim has been elevated above "emergency"...(whatever that means) and was supposed to arrive before end of December, and then January, and now middle of next month.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not sure at this point, but I certainly won't bring it up when the correct one finally arrives. I ve called the customer service line a few times and the claim has been elevated above "emergency"...(whatever that means) and was supposed to arrive before end of December, and then January, and now middle of next month.
I'm going through the same thing with a drivers side half shaft. It has been ordered since December. I can't drive the car until the shaft is replaced because it is on its way out. The passengers side has been replaced after it blew at Daytona.

Metal Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (CFTP), others
I'm going through the same thing with a drivers side half shaft. It has been ordered since December. I can't drive the car until the shaft is replaced because it is on its way out. The passengers side has been replaced after it blew at Daytona.
Wow - that's way worse! :curse::curse: At least mine is drivable. Someone at Ford needs to find the key to the parts bin ASAP.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Wow - that's way worse! :curse::curse: At least mine is drivable. Someone at Ford needs to find the key to the parts bin ASAP.
You can thank Covid. Its not just you or me. All parts are jammed up.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I swear, Tom, it's like there's a black cloud over you. I didn't realize (or missed the fact more likely,) that the OTHER side was damaged, too. Did they not check it when they did the first side?

Anyway, I'm damn sorry amigo and I certainly hope it shows up soon and ditto for your part as well, Mike.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I swear, Tom, it's like there's a black cloud over you. I didn't realize (or missed the fact more likely,) that the OTHER side was damaged, too. Did they not check it when they did the first side?

Anyway, I'm damn sorry amigo and I certainly hope it shows up soon and ditto for your part as well, Mike.
They did check it. That is why it is being replaced. The parts were not available and I did not want my car sitting in the shop for an undefined amount of time. I think the part is due sometime in Feb.

As for the black cloud, I feel differently. I am lucky that when the passengers side CV let go, it didn't self destruct to the point that the axle dislodged from the joint. The situation could have been far worse, right up to the point of severe damage or death.

I blame Ford. The half shafts were apparently not designed well. They use grease that is not rated for high temps. The grease hits a drop point, turns to liquid, and then leaves the joint and stops lubricating. Then the heat snowballs out of control and tears the joint apart. Pretty piss poor engineering if you ask me.

Did you know that @Jmeo's build at SA includes half shaft upgrades? I wonder how they figured out that they were inferior? The SA mods only yield a modest HP bump, so someone arbitrarily decided to replace the half shafts as part of the package? I dont think so......

The solution for me is that I ordered a second set of shafts. They will be rebuilt to withstand the rigors of sub 2:00 laps on the Rolex 24 course.

The only question in my mind is what else did Ford skimp on that has the potential of blowing up in my face?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Copy all, Tom and of course, you're correct, the failure on the track WAS a blessing but, I think one can have good AND bad luck at the same time. :-) Interesting about Jaime's car at SA....VERY interesting. Anyway, I hope it shows up sooner rather than later.

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Well, lets see..... If I can find a lightweight roll cage, I would do that. @Epiphany s caliperfexion brake studs, tow hook, tear away windshield protection, full Xpel, jack rails, maybe a lithium ion battery, etc. This is going to be a track monster.
my dad and I went with the competition Motorsports rollbar. It was about 51 lbs. very high quality piece. He went with shadow black. Harness helps out allo on track days

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I blame Ford. The half shafts were apparently not designed well. They use grease that is not rated for high temps. The grease hits a drop point, turns to liquid, and then leaves the joint and stops lubricating. Then the heat snowballs out of control and tears the joint apart.
Tom, do you know if the half shafts and grease different from what's used in the GT350s?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, do you know if the half shafts and grease different from what's used in the GT350s?
I am not 100% certain, but I believe it is. The 500 puts out a heck of a lot more torque and HP than the 350 and it seems the engineering was OK enough for most people on most tracks. I have run my 350s flat out at Daytona and never had this problem before.

My second half shaft came in. I am waiting to hear from my tech who will swap out the other shaft. I have another set of shafts that I am having rebuilt to avoid this problem in the future.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
DCF22A21-5CAC-4A95-A4CF-F927876BF72D.jpeg
393D14FD-D236-43DB-B33B-CAC6D1E7EC37.jpeg

Got a little present in the mail today!
John,

I am very happy with my shifter dial. It was a bit expensive for what it is, but that explorer knob had to go. It is a nice touch. The only thing I am not crazy about is that the edges around the dial are a bit to hard. They won't cut your fingers or anything, but the edges should have been rounded out a bit to give it a nice feel.