1st Mods on 2020 GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was asked in someone else's thread about my front camera and instead of taking over that persons thread, thought I would answer here. I don't believe I ever did post about my front camera install at least I don't remember doing it.

This is the camera I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backup-Camera-Waterproof-Reverse/dp/B07H852D49

I did this about 9 months ago so I may be vague on remembering everything. I drilled about a 3/8" hole underneath the front bumper to allow the camera wire to go through. Mounted the camera to a thin piece of metal then mounted the metal to the bumper. Ran the wire inside the car and attached it to a Naviks interface box that will display the video from the camera onto the Sync 3 screen. I set up the Naviks box to show the front camera automatically after I shift out of reverse for 10 seconds (completely configurable) and also hooked up a switch so I can turn the camera on and off manually.

I adjusted the level of the camera so the red part of the guide lines were touching the front splitter which makes the yellow line one foot away and blue line two feet away. Below are photos of the push button switch for the camera, the camera itself and the Sync display while the camera is on. The video from the camera looks much better in person than the photos shows.

IMG_1085SO.jpg

IMG_1290SO.jpg

NZ7_4860SO.jpg

IMG_1083SO.jpg
Mark,

I pulled the trigger on the camera. I will buy a new front bumper fascia and drill the hole. I saw something about a Naviks interface box, do you have a link to it? Also, are there any other items needed? I see there is a switch. Any leads on the extra items needed to complete the install?

Thanks!

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Tom, the Naviks interface box allows the video from the camera to be displayed on the Sync 3 screen. It comes with the necessary adapter plugs/wiring to connect to the back of the Sync system. I cannot remember if you remove the display or the box below the display to connect the plugs.

Normally you should not need a switch to activate the camera as the interface box should be able to connect to one of the switches on the steering wheel to turn the camera on and off. Unfortunately when I bought the Naviks box, it was early this year around March and they had not written the software to work with the 2020 Mustang. So I added a separate switch which can be connected to the Naviks box to turn the camera on and off. Also you can program the box to display the video from the camera for a predetermined about of time after you shift out of park. I have mine set to display for 10 seconds.

The Naviks box is quite expensive as it does way more than what we need to just display a camera. I think it has 3 video inputs including HDMI and options to do more things. By now there might be a much cheaper solution to just display the video on the Sync than buying the Naviks box. Here is the link for the one I got as back then, it was the only one I could find to interface with Sync 3. https://naviks.com/i-24076613-2016-...dmi-video-interface.html?ref=category:1136682

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll probably get some hate for this: Air lift kit ordered. I don’t think anyone’s done air yet on a GT500.
Loved my Airlift on my last mustang. I don’t want to mess with perfection on this car, so I’m no going there. Yes, it had been done already. Don’t remember who, but saw one quite a while ago.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Loved my Airlift on my last mustang. I don’t want to mess with perfection on this car, so I’m no going there. Yes, it had been done already. Don’t remember who, but saw one quite a while ago.
There was a blue one that was edited probably in the first 1-3 months the car came out. It was a good edit so a lot of people believed it if you meant that

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, the Naviks interface box allows the video from the camera to be displayed on the Sync 3 screen. It comes with the necessary adapter plugs/wiring to connect to the back of the Sync system. I cannot remember if you remove the display or the box below the display to connect the plugs.

Normally you should not need a switch to activate the camera as the interface box should be able to connect to one of the switches on the steering wheel to turn the camera on and off. Unfortunately when I bought the Naviks box, it was early this year around March and they had not written the software to work with the 2020 Mustang. So I added a separate switch which can be connected to the Naviks box to turn the camera on and off. Also you can program the box to display the video from the camera for a predetermined about of time after you shift out of park. I have mine set to display for 10 seconds.

The Naviks box is quite expensive as it does way more than what we need to just display a camera. I think it has 3 video inputs including HDMI and options to do more things. By now there might be a much cheaper solution to just display the video on the Sync than buying the Naviks box. Here is the link for the one I got as back then, it was the only one I could find to interface with Sync 3. https://naviks.com/i-24076613-2016-...dmi-video-interface.html?ref=category:1136682
Mark,

I reached out to Naviks and asked them the question, they came back with the NK-1312 version. It is currently on sale for $300 shipped. I bought the camera you recommended and just ordered the interface box. Yours has multiple inputs for additional cameras, mine has just the one for the front camera. I contemplated getting the version you have but the more I thought about it, I probably would never hook up side cameras for changing lanes.

The front fascia has to come off again anyway. I have to repair the grill. I took a big chunk of something that bent the lower grill in the corner. I looked into replacement grills and holy cow, they are a lot of money. Fix the bulge, paint, and reinstall.

I will be buying a new bumper cover. I don't imagine it comes painted, so I will have some painting to do. I will reach out to my xpel guy and see if he will sell me the precut piece to apply myself.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the lead.

NK 1312.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@marklboris,

Mark, how much of the center console did you have to rip apart to get to the APIM to make the connections?

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
@marklboris,

Mark, how much of the center console did you have to rip apart to get to the APIM to make the connections?
Hey Tom, sorry not on the forum all that much lately. You have to remove the top section of the console so you can get to the lower screws on the display trim. You also have to remove the right side dash trim to get to the upper screws of the display trim. Check page 4824 in the service manual for removing the upper part of the console trim.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tom, sorry not on the forum all that much lately. You have to remove the top section of the console so you can get to the lower screws on the display trim. You also have to remove the right side dash trim to get to the upper screws of the display trim. Check page 4824 in the service manual for removing the upper part of the console trim.
Thanks Mark,

Yep, I looked at the procedure. I was hoping there might be a shortcut. I appreciate it.

Thanks