20200821_160200.jpg
20200821_160226.jpg
20200821_155953.jpg

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Well, my first mod didn't go as well as planned. I found a certified xpel installer (there aren't many within an hours drive of my location) and gave it a go. I went for full frontal and area just forward of the rear wheels. Found the installer cut into my hood pins. PPF is poorly aligned with panels and poor coverage on of paint on the front bumper. The areas where he did wrap the edges along the fender are lifting and or have large air pockets. The mirror caps maybe the worst, with stretch marks, lift marks and jagged edges. I want to have these issues addressed, but I don't want this installer involved at all, as he is obviously not skilled enough.
20200821_155635.jpg
20200821_155710.jpg
20200821_160207.jpg
20200821_160749.jpg
Yikes on the scratches, sorry man. As far as the last pic, I actually had the same spot lift after my front xpel. Stayed down after a push with one of those credit card trim tools, and that was like 6 days after it had been done as due to rain I wasn't able to put it in the sun to cure right away.

Apparently the mirrors are a tricky spot.

But maybe contact xpel directly and tell them about your experience, maybe they can set you up with a different installer.

Edit: seeing your additional images, the guy obviously didn't wrap any edges except for the hood.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Yikes on the scratches, sorry man. As far as the last pic, I actually had the same spot lift after my front xpel. Stayed down after a push with one of those credit card trim tools, and that was like 6 days after it had been done as due to rain I wasn't able to put it in the sun to cure right away.

Apparently the mirrors are a tricky spot.

But maybe contact xpel directly and tell them about your experience, maybe they can set you up with a different installer.

Edit: seeing your additional images, the guy obviously didn't wrap any edges except for the hood.
Agreed, I'm complaining directly to Xpel. After all they certify these installers. Xpel wants the customer to work with the installer to resolve installation issues. I have no intention on letting this guy do any more work for me. If he doesn't have enough skill or care to avoid cutting into my car's exterior then he is not be trusted to remove and or re-apply the film.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Speaking of hood pins... are there any known after market versions available yet or in the pipe line? A set done in carbon fiber or anodized would be nice.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Agreed, I'm complaining directly to Xpel. After all they certify these installers. Xpel wants the customer to work with the installer to resolve installation issues. I have no intention on letting this guy do any more work for me. If he doesn't have enough skill or care to avoid cutting into my car's exterior then he is not be trusted to remove and or re-apply the film.
I hope you can get the shop that did this to pay for new hood latches. Get a full refund and goto another shop.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Patrick, sorry to see this shabby job. I wish you the best in getting this corrected as painlessly as possible.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am a sucker for easy add-on braces. I am not sure i can say with confidence this is needed or what it helps but i installed it anyway, pretty sure it can't hurt other than 1lb it added. Steeda brace was simple install and clears everything without issue. Will be interesting to see if long tubes will clear it but will cross that road when i get there. Getting the punch metal slags out of the holes is kind of PITA but not horrible.

Ultralite 2-Point G-Trac Brace
brace1.jpg
brace2.jpg
brace3.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I wish there was data for all to see on braces like that one. In torsion, it can't do anything. All it could potentially have an impact on is tension or compression in a violent frontal impact where the K member is driven backwards and the K member legs rip themselves from the torque box area. The sheetmetal attachment point at the aft end of each of each leg is rather flexible, again it is designed that way such that it detaches when driven rearward, so even if the legs were oversized, thick, square tubing that didn't deflect you don't see gains by tying them together.

On edit - based on a quick cursory look, it appears the brace would impart some tension (likely very temporary) in a severe frontal impact. Note how the legs are designed to buckle at the bend, splay outward, and tear from the floorpan at the rear.

Last edited:

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish there was data for all to see on braces like that one. In torsion, it can't do anything. All it could potentially have an impact on is tension or compression in a violent frontal impact where the K member is driven backwards and the K member legs rip themselves from the torque box area. The sheetmetal attachment point at the aft end of each of each leg is rather flexible, again it is designed that way such that it detaches when driven rearward, so even if the legs were oversized, thick, square tubing that didn't deflect you don't see gains by tying them together.

On edit - based on a quick cursory look, it appears the brace would impart some tension (likely very temporary) in a severe frontal impact. Note how the legs are designed to buckle at the bend, splay outward, and tear from the floorpan at the rear.
I was trying to understand why these holes are in the legs at all? I mean they are punched and they leave the punch holes inside still attached. I thought i was going to see the legs fail at the hole punch points but that doesn't appear to be the failure point. Why did FORD punch the holes at all?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I have these on all my Mustangs. The car seems to track better in hard cornering.
Never thought about frontal impacts. Just adding rigidity across the bottom of the frame at that point. If you can imagine the engine removed, there is little holding the two frame rails laterally (under tension) in that area.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Patrick
Sorry to hear about your probs. Hope it gets resolved quickly.
Here are a couple of place's that may be of use.

https://justboltons.com/blog/2020-s...pins-are-made-by-quiklatch-order-yours-today/
https://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-hood-locks-pins/c/60020154/
So it seems the 2.5 inch diameter low profile QL-50 is the spec. From what I see they are not available in anodized colors in that size. There is however a brushed and polished look. $250-$300 seems a bit high though. I have started my claim with Xpel.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was trying to understand why these holes are in the legs at all? I mean they are punched and they leave the punch holes inside still attached. I thought i was going to see the legs fail at the hole punch points but that doesn't appear to be the failure point. Why did FORD punch the holes at all?
To begin with, everything is done for a reason. Balancing the needs of crash testing with rigidity...that's a juggling act. Sometimes the holes are for fixturing during manufacturing or assembly. With respect to crash testing, I only showed a head-on frontal impact. You've also got moderate overlap frontal tests, side crash tests, roof strength tests, etc. The energy absorption that is designed into the car is extremely complex given the number of planes it has to perform in. The legs of the k member are designed to buckle at the bends in a frontal impact as opposed to originating from a hole, which makes perfect sense.

Just adding rigidity across the bottom of the frame at that point. If you can imagine the engine removed, there is little holding the two frame rails laterally (under tension) in that area.
The K member is extremely robust in the area where it attaches to the frame rails and beneath that area when bolted in place, even without an engine in place. As I was mentioning, tying the two legs together where the brace is in place doesn't do much of anything in terms of increasing the rigidity of the frame. I'll use an awful screen capture of another frontal impact to illustrate.

Note that the cradle portion/crossmember (under the engine) of the K member stays near square with the frame rails where it is fastened to them as the car absorbs the energy upon impact. The legs of the K member, are not tied to the "frame" at the rear but rather the sheetmetal torque boxes. This allows the front frame rails to move at a different rate than the rest of the car's frame rails from the torque box area and moving rearward when involved in a sudden event such as this.

So what if you cut the legs off of the K member? No doubt there would be a loss in overall rigidity, however slight. But they clearly are not needed to be as strong as some would think. They perform well with a minimum of size and thickness along with being preformed so as to induce failure at given points when/if necessary. This type of aftermarket brace on an S550 doesn't increase frame stiffness - it just ties the two prebent legs together and doesn't mitigate what little deflection the legs might see. The sheetmetal torque boxes they attach to deflect quite a bit, in a vertical plane anyway.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Follow-up on my bad Xpel installation experience. I spoke with customer service and was advised that the warranty is obviously only for material defects. I explained my concern with allowing the installer to perform any needed removal and re-installation due to the damage he already caused as well as his apparent lack of skill or care. I Also explained the fact that the film will not perform properly if not installed properly. The rep then provided an email address and asked that I provide pictures and make a claim, which I did. I received an email response advising me that this is an installation issue I would have to address with the installer. Frustrating....how is it that they certify these installers but don't stand by their work? More phone calls to be made this afternoon.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow-up on my bad Xpel installation experience. I spoke with customer service and was advised that the warranty is obviously only for material defects. I explained my concern with allowing the installer to perform any needed removal and re-installation due to the damage he already caused as well as his apparent lack of skill or care. I Also explained the fact that the film will not perform properly if not installed properly. The rep then provided an email address and asked that I provide pictures and make a claim, which I did. I received an email response advising me that this is an installation issue I would have to address with the installer. Frustrating....how is it that they certify these installers but don't stand by their work? More phone calls to be made this afternoon.
MAN......I feel for you and actually makes me sick. I probably am in the minority but this is exactly why i wont do PPF, i just don't trust anyone and have nightmares about what happened to you. I am not arguing that it doesn't do what is advertised and it will protect the front end. I just worry about installation and long term looks, and i assume the GT500 with all the painted/unpainted pieces on the front end is a PITA to do without having edges which personally I cannot stand, just another place to catch your eye and dirt/polish/wax.

I hope you get some type of resolution but I don't see this working out well, shame XPEL doesn't step up, pretty much makes there 'certification' a joke.