1970 Boss vs. 2015 EB

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Don't think I've seen this up yet?

[ame]

There’s no denying that the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang is an incredibly advanced and capable performance vehicle. With a choice between three unique engines, two transmissions, countless appearance options, and technology unmatched by the competition, the 2015 Mustang can handle whatever you throw its way. To prove it, we invited three enthusiasts to take a spin in earlier versions of America’s Favorite Pony Car. Then we asked them to go head-to-head against themselves in the 2015 Ford Mustang in an effort to showcase the hottest new features and prove just how advanced the new Mustang really is.

The 2015 Mustang EcoBoost oozes performance and is bound to be a serious competitor on the racetrack thanks to highly-advanced technology and impeccable engineering. Mustang owner and enthusiast Tyler Hinker was granted access to the driver’s seat and asked to put it through the paces.

Tyler first took a spin in a 1970 Boss 302 and noted how inherently raw and powerful the classic was. Then he slipped behind the wheel of the EcoBoost to put both the gas and brake pedals to the medal to gauge acceleration and stopping abilities.

The direct-injected EcoBoost 2.3L engine is turbocharged to the tune of 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque – that’s more power than the V8 engine of the Mustang GT put out only 10 short years ago. Twin independent variable cam timing and a twin-scroll turbo reduce lag, while a steel crank and trick 3-port cylinder head contribute to the power output. And it accomplishes this level of power output while retaining an EPA-estimated 21 miles per gallon city, and 31 on the highway.

Handling braking duties are four-wheel power disc brakes with a four-sensor, four-channel anti-lock braking system and AdvanceTrac electronic stability control. A Performance Package is available for those who care to upgrade to larger 14-inch rotors with four-piston calipers.
Sponsored

Ski3143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP/50th/DIB
So.... Which was faster around the track? I will admit to watching this without sound because I'm at work.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Dear Lord, I pray to you that this thread remains civil and respectful and all gathered hear enjoy each others company.. Amen..

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
I couldn't make out the road course. If it was short and tight, my money's on the 2015. If it's longer- hard to say.

Sponsored

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
My guess is the ecoboost should win pretty easily. Ignoring all other aspects, the Boss is severely held back by an old school 4 speed transmission. I think if you gave it a 6 speed things would be very different.

Stellato12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 1999 Mustang V6
My guess is the ecoboost should win pretty easily. Ignoring all other aspects, the Boss is severely held back by an old school 4 speed transmission. I think if you gave it a 6 speed things would be very different.
Not just the transmission, but the old brakes and suspension too.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Not just the transmission, but the old brakes and suspension too.
Also valid. And don't discount the effect of chassis, as the '15s chassis is supposedly the best Ford has ever made.

Without looking at the numbers, my guess is the Boss is lighter and probably makes more power. But when you factor in the benefits the ecoboost gets simply from being a newer vehicle, it's not really a fair fight.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Unfortunately the Boss would lose.. Stock track 0-60 for it was around 6.9 sec and most Straight line 1/4 times were around 14.75 sec. Much slower then the EcoBoost.. Around a track with the old suspension, brakes and over all design, it couldnt even come close to matching the new Mustang in any form v6, Ecoboost, or GT.. FORD is stating that the new 2015 Mustang is the best design they have ever built.. that alone tells you a Mustang from 1970 is not going to compete with it..

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Did anyone else notice the sound for the EB? Not one sound clip was the EB...! They dubbed over with either the boss's sound track or a modern 5.0...

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Talk about an apples to space shuttles comparison. :doh:

geneva

track rat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 GB
we always seem to forget performance numbers from the muscle car era are just not competitive with 45+ years of advancement in automotive technology. The 1970 Boss was "fast" for it's time; 0-60; 6.9 sec, 1/4 mi. 14.6 @ 98 MPH but many family sedans will beat that today. Also when comparing track performance tires will make all the difference. Polyglas vs. today's ultra high performance options it's simply no contest. IMO would be more interesting to revisit road tests from 1970 comparing the 70' Boss to it's competition and let today's Mustang do the same. :ford:

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
we always seem to forget performance numbers from the muscle car era are just not competitive with 45+ years of advancement in automotive technology. The 1970 Boss was "fast" for it's time; 0-60; 6.9 sec, 1/4 mi. 14.6 @ 98 MPH but many family sedans will beat that today. Also when comparing track performance tires will make all the difference. Polyglas vs. today's ultra high performance options it's simply no contest. IMO would be more interesting to revisit road tests from 1970 comparing the 70' Boss to it's competition and let today's Mustang do the same. :ford:
Agree. They should be comparing it to the Camaro and Challenger.

OP
OP
Clink

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Woo hoo front page!

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Did anyone else notice the sound for the EB? Not one sound clip was the EB...! They dubbed over with either the boss's sound track or a modern 5.0...
It would have sounded cooler anyway if they gave it its natural sound track of a close up of the Turbo spooling and whistling !!!
Sponsored