Sponsored

19 GT350--How Much Oil is Normal in Catch Can?

Classic Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 21 Cayman GT4, 2000 Cobra R
I just did my first oil change to my GT350 at 2,800 miles, I added the FRPP catch can's to both sides at about 1,000 miles I think, maybe even later. I drive this car quite easily with very few 8,000 RPM blasts, so I was expecting to find both catch cans dry. My driver's side was dry, as expected, but my passenger side one had about 30 ml or maybe 3-4 tablespoons in there. So not a ton, but there was oil in there. Is this normal or are some of you staying dry in both catch cans all the time?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds well within the normal range, especially for a brand new engine. Most oil consumption normalizes by 10,000 miles, so you've got a ways to go before id worry about it. Just check on it every so often along with your oil level.

Also, the passenger side can for most people is the only one that will actually get anything in it. The driver side one pretty much never fills up unless you're on track.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I only have a JLT passenger side can - I've been keeping track for 2 years now. I get about 1 oz of oil every 2000 miles (on the second motor - first one replaced at 9800 miles for oil consumption).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just did my first oil change to my GT350 at 2,800 miles, I added the FRPP catch can's to both sides at about 1,000 miles I think, maybe even later. I drive this car quite easily with very few 8,000 RPM blasts, so I was expecting to find both catch cans dry. My driver's side was dry, as expected, but my passenger side one had about 30 ml or maybe 3-4 tablespoons in there. So not a ton, but there was oil in there. Is this normal or are some of you staying dry in both catch cans all the time?
Completely normal.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
The oil/air separators have nothing to do with any oil consumption issues. A healthy motor or a worn out motor will both see oil in mainly the passenger side separator. The pcv valve is on the passenger valve cover, and just like a vacuum, the intake manifold is sucking oily air from this valve under normal driving conditions. If you don't have a separator, it goes into the intake manifold, if you do, it gets caught in the separator. Regardless, it's happening all the time, and is no indication of the health of your motor.
When you are at WOT, their is no more vacuum sucking out the vapors on the passenger side. Any blowby will be vented into mainly the drivers side separator(if you have it) or the intake tube.

These motors are high compression and produce a fair bit of vacuum, so don't stress about oil being in the separator.

Sponsored

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350R & ā€˜19 ZL1 1LE
Thatā€™s about in line with my experience. I put mine on at about 30 miles. Iā€™m at 1650 now. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you keep the passenger side clean as often as you can.

OP
OP
Classic Muscle

Classic Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 21 Cayman GT4, 2000 Cobra R
Thanks for the replies everyone, that makes me feel better! This was also my second oil change, I did the break-in oil change at like 800-1,000 miles last year and installed the catch cans at the same time. I did find it odd though too, that my oil service life % went down to 4% from easily driving only 1,900 miles in the period of a year? I thought that was very odd, anyone else have the oil % go down rapidly like that? I got the "change oil soon" light last week after only 1,900 miles of driving. Oil level wasn't low at all, the computer just said it needed to be changed....

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Thanks for the replies everyone, that makes me feel better! This was also my second oil change, I did the break-in oil change at like 800-1,000 miles last year and installed the catch cans at the same time. I did find it odd though too, that my oil service life % went down to 4% from easily driving only 1,900 miles in the period of a year? I thought that was very odd, anyone else have the oil % go down rapidly like that? I got the "change oil soon" light last week after only 1,900 miles of driving. Oil level wasn't low at all, the computer just said it needed to be changed....
You change annually regardless of mileage from what Iā€™ve learned. The computer knows that;-)

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Even if your car sits unused, the Oil Life % will tick down over time. It basically is set for annual changes. I suppose it will count down faster if you drive the car a lot, and perhaps if you drive it hard.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The oil/air separators have nothing to do with any oil consumption issues. A healthy motor or a worn out motor will both see oil in mainly the passenger side separator. The pcv valve is on the passenger valve cover, and just like a vacuum, the intake manifold is sucking oily air from this valve under normal driving conditions. If you don't have a separator, it goes into the intake manifold, if you do, it gets caught in the separator. Regardless, it's happening all the time, and is no indication of the health of your motor.
When you are at WOT, their is no more vacuum sucking out the vapors on the passenger side. Any blowby will be vented into mainly the drivers side separator(if you have it) or the intake tube.

These motors are high compression and produce a fair bit of vacuum, so don't stress about oil being in the separator.
Interesting, I thought ring blowby and catch can collection amount to be closely related

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Interesting, I thought ring blowby and catch can collection amount to be closely related
Yes it can and will be, but not in a separator that is inline between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. If you had excessive blowby under normal driving(not WOT), the PCV valve will still regulate the amount of air that is being sucked through to the intake manifold. If you had zero blowby for arguments sake, you will still get oil in the passenger separator as the intake manifold is still sucking up the crank vapors that are mixed in with the fresh air inlet from the drivers valve cover. So the PCV to Intake separator can't really be used for blowby indication.

Now under WOT, if you had excessive blowby, you would find you will be collecting much more oil that normal in the drivers side separator, and maybe even the passenger side if the pressure was enough to push past the PCV valve.

If you removed the PCV system and just ran breathers or catch cans off the valve covers, then yes this can be used as an indication to excessive blowby.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I have a ā€˜19 with a passenger side catch can that was installed at 250 miles. Iā€™m at 2,700 miles now, 4 track days, and 3 oil changes on the car. I emptied the catch can at 1,200 miles after the break in oil change and got 10 ml. At 2,200 miles after a track weekend got 35 ml. At 2,650 miles after a track weekend got 30 ml.

Iā€™m with everyone else... seems normal to me.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Iv gone over 1200 miles now in mine and dipstick still well above bottom hash, a little in the catch can but certainly not drinking oil.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Iv gone over 1200 miles now in mine and dipstick still well above bottom hash, a little in the catch can but certainly not drinking oil.
Note that typically, oil consumption as a real problem isn't apparent initially, mine really went downhill fast past 6000 miles. By 8000 it was consuming 1 qt every 250 miles. 2nd motor is fine!

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Note that typically, oil consumption as a real problem isn't apparent initially, mine really went downhill fast past 6000 miles. By 8000 it was consuming 1 qt every 250 miles. 2nd motor is fine!
Sure hope they fixed it in the 2019s!!!
Sponsored