pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It looks like this thread has picked up some good activity. Appreciate all the insight on meth injection; like I mentioned, that may be a very plausible route if I decide to push things more in the future.

I spent the last couple of days getting the Procharger installed and their provided tune flashed. I threw some Octanium in the tank just for good measure while I get some initial data log of how the car responds to the Procharger and more importantly the tune that was provided.

First impressions are that the car seems to drive well and I haven't noticed anything weird in the very few test miles I put on it. The biggest thing that jumped out to me was that the fuel trims seem to be off by a good margin. Upon first start up short term trims were approx. -20% and after driving for about 15 minutes, long term trims seemed to be showing up at around .85 for the most part. So it looks like the car is running really rich. Did a smoke test check for vacuum leaks and everything seemed to be nice and sealed up. So hopefully that is something that Procharger can get dialed in for me a little closer, just waiting to hear back from them.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
It looks like this thread has picked up some good activity. Appreciate all the insight on meth injection; like I mentioned, that may be a very plausible route if I decide to push things more in the future.

I spent the last couple of days getting the Procharger installed and their provided tune flashed. I threw some Octanium in the tank just for good measure while I get some initial data log of how the car responds to the Procharger and more importantly the tune that was provided.

First impressions are that the car seems to drive well and I haven't noticed anything weird in the very few test miles I put on it. The biggest thing that jumped out to me was that the fuel trims seem to be off by a good margin. Upon first start up short term trims were approx. -20% and after driving for about 15 minutes, long term trims seemed to be showing up at around .85 for the most part. So it looks like the car is running really rich. Did a smoke test check for vacuum leaks and everything seemed to be nice and sealed up. So hopefully that is something that Procharger can get dialed in for me a little closer, just waiting to hear back from them.
If I recall when I was talking to Shaun @ AED he mentioned the same. About not wanting to tune gen 3 without race gas or full e85, due to the compression. Gen 2 no problem. My guess just a liability issue / wanting to play it safe. Plenty of others will though.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

You definitely have the wrong date somewhere. My procharger tune was very bad and they told me that there was nothing they could do about it without even looking at a data log. so I would recommend you getting someone else to tune it. Do you have a way to watch for knock like a ngauge or sct or RTD?

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You definitely have the wrong date somewhere. My procharger tune was very bad and they told me that there was nothing they could do about it without even looking at a data log. so I would recommend you getting someone else to tune it. Do you have a way to watch for knock like a ngauge or sct or RTD?
Assuming wrong date was a typo?

I have an SCT that I have used previously that I’m using for logging. The Procharger kit, or at least the one I was sent actually ships with an RTD, however I only used it to load the tune and haven’t played with it yet for logging.

So far I have not had any knock according to the logs but I’m not overly comfortable with the tune at this point.
I anticipated needing to get tuned by one of the pros but wanted to try/was hopeful the Procharger tune would at least be safe.

I’m curious to see what they say in regards to adjusting the tune but my expectation is that they will do what you just mentioned and tell me it either all looks good or they can’t do anything else.

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Yes data was what I was looking for. But you have to have bad injector data or you have a vacuum leak/boost pressure leak. Just keep an eye on it. There tuning cost me a engine. They have a awesome product but IMO there tuning and support could use some work

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good to know. Thanks everyone. Ya until I get this all dialed in I am watching my SCT like a hawk. I actually have it set up to just datalog straight to the device so when Im driving around I dont have to have my laptop everywhere I go, makes things really nice, plus the display readout of a few of the key parameters I want to see in case things go south is nice.

@Jackson1320 bad data somewhere makes sense. The HO kit on the 2019 GT did not come with any injectors, so the injectors currently in the car are the oem ones. A vac/boost leak was my first thought on this as well so I did a smoke test on the whole system but didn't see a single leak anywhere, so good to rule that out.

Procharger's tuning said they would take a look at a log but that it is very unusual that a change would be needed. I would say fuel trims that far off are unusual so regardless of what the issue is, tune or hardware, hopefully they help me get it sorted out.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well, got a revised tune from Procharger and gave it a quick try.

Fuel trims seemed to be quite a bit better but still not what I would call ideal. Bank 1 seems to be within 5-10% but Bank 2 is still in the 10-12ish% range. Still looking pretty rich though, a few place in the logs are showing an AFR of ~10.5 at WOT.

Still not seeing any knock showing up, car is showing it is still advancing timing across the board but I'm only seeing a max of 3-4 PSI at the moment so things are very mild right now, a little too much so.

I decided to also log the Total Misfires Since Key On field and was a little surprised that a 30 minute drive would yield 32 misfires. I don't know if that is considered normal. Have any of you logged that field? Not seeing any check engine lights and I cant hear it misfire, but the car seems to have logged several occurrences of it.

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Only 3-4 lbs?, how high in the rpm range is that?

belt slipping?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If it's triggered on by boost or maf voltage, I don't think it would react quick enough. There's nothing stopping it immediately with the fuel cut.

If it were triggered by IDC which certain AEM controllers can do, then maybe it could.

I haven't heard of it happening on an S550 (haven't really looked) but I've definitely seen this situation grenade engines on other platforms - various meth set ups and split second controlled port injection. Since I don't have a concrete answer of why/when the car decides to use fuel cut as fast path for torque reduction, so idk how likely it is. That isn't how the PCM usually deals with torque reduction but it can, someone has posted a log of it somewhere. To me that seems like a big risk.
Mango, the fuel cut for torque management should be the last method of reducing torque. the most actively used method is via throttle body closing. then spark reduction.. then fuel cut.

Yes when I use the WMI the lambda still stays about .79 but the STFTs are different. obviously when it's first on there's a huge lambda dip

Sponsored
OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Only 3-4 lbs?, how high in the rpm range is that?

belt slipping?
Yep did a few pulls to confirm and am only seeing 3-4 psi and that is all the way at redline. I did notice, and the logs seemed to confirm this, that it is hitting 3 psi at about 6k rpm and then holds there to redline.

Does that sounds like belt slip?

Was planning to call Procharger today to get some clarification on expected boost and troubleshooting if its too low. The bypass valve does not seem to have any interference and should be able to open and close as needed, couldn't find any leaks in the system, so that really would lead me to either belt slip or pulley size.

So far, I would say their tuning support has been really good to work with and very responsive to questions.

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
I’m not sure if it is belt slipping or what.. new to the coyotes but from the fox world, belt slipping,was more a thing.

Also noticed you were higher in elevation, which will probably play a small role , im following as I have a 18+ P1x kit for my 15’ I’m about to bolt all up.

i might of missed it, what size pulley?

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’m not sure if it is belt slipping or what.. new to the coyotes but from the fox world, belt slipping,was more a thing.

Also noticed you were higher in elevation, which will probably play a small role , im following as I have a 18+ P1x kit for my 15’ I’m about to bolt all up.

i might of missed it, what size pulley?
Awesome, well hopefully some of my questions here have been helpful for you then. Planning to update my original post with thoughts and takeaways once I get things finalized since this is my first go around with adding FI to a car.

I have no doubt altitude is at least partially to blame for the low boost. That said, the kit had a spec'd boost target of 6.5 psi according to the documentation I received. So I'm seeing a roughly 3-3.5 psi drop at the moment. Ill have to see what they say on that one.

The pulley size I received with mine was 4.38.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Yep did a few pulls to confirm and am only seeing 3-4 psi and that is all the way at redline. I did notice, and the logs seemed to confirm this, that it is hitting 3 psi at about 6k rpm and then holds there to redline.

Does that sounds like belt slip?

Was planning to call Procharger today to get some clarification on expected boost and troubleshooting if its too low. The bypass valve does not seem to have any interference and should be able to open and close as needed, couldn't find any leaks in the system, so that really would lead me to either belt slip or pulley size.

So far, I would say their tuning support has been really good to work with and very responsive to questions.
I would suspect a boost leak more than belt slip at that level. Utah is really high in elevation, you will lose a ton of boost from sea level too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would suspect a boost leak more than belt slip at that level. Utah is really high in elevation, you will lose a ton of boost from sea level too.
Ya, I anticipated this making less boost than they call for but I was a little off in how much I figured I would lose.

I did talk to their support this morning and they did confirm that what I'm seeing does sound like the correct amount of boost for my elevation with that kit. I was told that each .1" drop in pulley size should equal about 1pis of boost.

So that would mean I would probably need a 4-4.13" pulley to get to the targeted 6-7psi of boost with that kit.
Sponsored