robert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hi all,

I've been saving up for a Mustang for a few years and I'm finally ready to buy it. I have a few different options that I'm considering:
  • Used '18 GT Premium PP1, around 35k miles for ~$31k
  • New '19 GT Premium PP1 for ~$37k
  • New '19 GT Base PP2 for (hopefully) ~$39k
  • Used '17 Shelby GT350, around 20k miles for (hopefully, again) ~$45k
All 3 are attainable/affordable paying in cash, I just want to make a smart decision to maximize utility & enjoyment while being considerate of cost too.

Some context: this is really my first real car, aside from the beater I drive now. I have very little experience driving stick but I've already decided to get a manual rather than A10.

This car will be a daily driver, although I definitely plan to take it to the track after I'm comfortable with the car and driving stick.

What do you all think is the best choice? I'm really drawn to the Shelby over PP2 since obviously it's a Shelby, and I've heard that the Voodoo and TR3160 are way better than the Coyote/MT82. However this is a first car for me, I'm thinking the GT will be more than enough for me and I can always upgrade a few years down the road.

I've been going back and forth with what I think I want for months now and I just can't decide. I'd like to buy the car within 2 weeks so I just need to make up my mind.

Thanks
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you're going Manual it's a no brainer. Get the GT350. To be honest my modes in the A10 makes it a non issue for me. I don't miss the manual. The way it downshifts in Sport+ gives you a pretty cool feel.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Use your time do a lot of research on the site regarding the GT and GT350. Read what the GT350 owners are posting about the car.

The GT350 will give you something very unique in the Stang world. Whether or not it justifies the price gap is up to how much it means to you and most importantly which car feels right when you’re behind the wheel. The PP2 offers very similar performance, but it’s a GT and thus no 5.2 or tremec.

Congrats on being able to pay cash.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
350s are definitely more special

if you can afford it then they not? way better trans too

Sponsored

OP
OP

robert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Go drive a GT350 and a PP2 back to back. I chose a new PP2 over a used or even a new GT350.
What were your reasons specifically? Similar enough performance wasn't worth the price difference?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
What were your reasons specifically? Similar enough performance wasn't worth the price difference?
The 350 really shines in the upper rpms which isn't ideal in a daily. The GT would probably be more fun driving it everyday. Go drive them back to back and get the one that feels best to you. Ultimately, you really can't go wrong with either.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Given an even swap, I'd choose the GT350. But, I just couldn't justify a $20K+ difference. The PP2 is such a great value and a really capable car right off the dealer lot. I'm at 8,500 miles now, and haven't second guessed my decision for a second. In stock form (other than swapping the SC2's for a little more streetable UHP summer tire), it's just a fun car to drive.

full.png

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
YOU the OP need go go drive and buy the one YOU prefer. Who the F cares what anybody else thinks in the end...

Sponsored

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
Given an even swap, I'd choose the GT350. But, I just couldn't justify a $20K+ difference. The PP2 is such a great value and a really capable car right off the dealer lot. I'm at 8,500 miles now, and haven't second guessed my decision for a second. In stock form (other than swapping the SC2's for a little more streetable UHP summer tire), it's just a fun car to drive.

After driving both (and Camaro 1LE), I made the same decision.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
What ever you do dont spend 31k on a car with 35k miles on it thats not a deal. I think that if its daily driver and you want a manual, PP2 is the way to go. Agree with above, go and drive those guys, the shelby can difficult to test drive but if you show up as a cash buyer they should accommodate you

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
If you're going Manual it's a no brainer. Get the GT350. To be honest my modes in the A10 makes it a non issue for me. I don't miss the manual. The way it downshifts in Sport+ gives you a pretty cool feel.
There is NOTHING better than the new A10.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Glad your not wanting an auto. If you are going to take it to the track and don't want to spend extra money right away, the PP2 will be your best bet. Also, if you are going to keep it for more than 2 or 3 years, I would go with new for the warranty. If the two used cars are solid you can get a good deal most likely. the 18 with that many miles is overpriced at 31k I think. Not knowing what options it has makes it a bit harder to figure.
Sponsored