Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible - PP
Slingshot - Stock 173hp at the crank, 5 spped manual, and 1,700lbs
As pictured... CAI, header, catless straight exhaust - ???HP. ;)

VS.

Stock '18 GT PP Vert, 10 speed auto

Honestly, two very different driving experiences... Both capable of getting my adrenaline pumping! :thumbsup:
9566A6A7-0441-4C7E-B2F3-850750D148D4.jpeg
34FFC453-A553-43F3-B886-DAF8F4F77CFD.jpeg
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I ll watch this thread closer. I was considering the slingshot but from the reviews, it seems it’s underpowered. I believe there is a turbo kit for it but who knows how reliable will that be. Looks wise, it is unique and will take more attention than a mustang conv. Now if you can swap a Busa engine and turbo that beast, it will be a different ball game.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd feel like a real goofball driving the slingshot. I'd either go with something like an Ariel Atom or just get a motorcycle. The Ariel if your goal is road course performance and turning corners; the motorcycle if you want to be out in the air and prefer straight acceleration blasts. Of course you can turn in a motorcycle, but cars are generally superior. Also, the Atom is super fast in a straight line, but it's hard to beat a motorcycle for pure acceleration.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like the slingshot. But I dont really know why..

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Underpowered? I would say not true. Turbo/Supercharger kits take them into the +300HP range, which in my opinion is stupid power for something that weighs 1,700lbs, but I'd love to have either just because LOL. The biggest issue is traction to the single rear tire... Racing from a dead stop takes some real finesse with the clutch.

Lots of guys have boosted the little 2.4L GM with great results and good reliability if done correctly. This motor has been around for a long time in various forms in various GM vehicles. I think it would be going backwards putting a Busa engine in it... The craziest I've seen is a V8 swap, that's just nuts! A few guys have put Honda S2000 motors in them with mixed results.

On My SS I've added a CAI, header, exhaust, and an ECU tune to match my mods, and Bilstein coilovers... She'll scoot down the road for sure. My butt Dyno guesstimates ~200HP with my mods.

Now that I have both the Slingshot and the GT, I can attest that they are both awesome in their own way and really two totally different experiences.

In a race... The GT all day...
In the Twisties... I think it would be close, advantage to the Slingshot
Fun factor... It's a tie... Slight edge to the Slingshot (lighter and 4" off the ground)
Attention grabbing... The Slingshot edges out the GT but the GT has definitely gotten some compliments since I got it

I've ridden motorcycles for over 30 years... Dirt and street... I enjoy the Slingshot as much or more than any bike I've ever ridden/owned.

Heck yes I would kill for an Atom, T-Rex, or KTM X-Bow... But the entry price for those is significantly higher than the Slingshot... $19K for mine vs +$50K and way up for the others... The Slingshot wins in the fun for the $'s catqgory. In the end it's a toy... Personally I can't justify more than $25K for a toy... (The GT is a daily driver)

Not one person that I've ever taken for a ride in the Slingshot has ever said it was slow, boring, dull, or otherwise... Always a big toothy grin along with "holy crap that was fun!". I had one Indian friend literally praying about halfway through our quick spin around the block. LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I like the slingshot. But I dont really know why..
You should go test drive one, then you'll know... Picture adult go-cart that you can take on the highway... Pretty much sums up the experience.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When I had my 2015 base GT at the road course there was a guy with either the slingshot or another 3 wheeled similar vehicle there. I'd say the GT turns corners quite a bit better, even with the crappy all season tires on it.

TheOilman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 SB GT Premium PP
When I had my 2015 base GT at the road course there was a guy with either the slingshot or another 3 wheeled similar vehicle there. I'd say the GT turns corners quite a bit better, even with the crappy all season tires on it.
Fact:clap2:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can't bloody stand those Slingshots. Douchebags turn them into donk hoopdie POS's in the Atlanta area, blasting music from them and looking at people to ensure that they are looking at them. They are the biggest waste of money I have ever seen. :)

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Can't bloody stand those Slingshots. Douchebags turn them into donk hoopdie POS's in the Atlanta area, blasting music from them and looking at people to ensure that they are looking at them. They are the biggest waste of money I have ever seen. :)
To each his own... Those guys don't represent the entire population of Slingshot owners... Hate the player, not the machine...:headbang:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Fact:clap2:
Oh? :shrug:. Has anyone here driven a Slingshot?

I will agree, stock suspension on the Slingshot leaves a lot to be desired. Addition of Bilstein coilovers is what makes me feel mine is close when it comes to cornering... and some confidence derived from driving it for the past 3 years.

[MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION], any info on the presumed Slingshot you saw at the track? Stock? Modded? Was it even a Slingshot? LOL

Admittedly, I'm brand new to the GT so my experience is definitely limited.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Oh? :shrug:. Has anyone here driven a Slingshot?

I will agree, stock suspension on the Slingshot leaves a lot to be desired. Addition of Bilstein coilovers is what makes me feel mine is close when it comes to cornering... and some confidence derived from driving it for the past 3 years.

[MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION], any info on the presumed Slingshot you saw at the track? Stock? Modded? Was it even a Slingshot? LOL

Admittedly, I'm brand new to the GT so my experience is definitely limited.
No idea if it was stock or not. I didn't talk to the guy. I'm not sure it was a slingshot either. It was three wheeled and looked like the slingshot, but it could have been something else.

OP
OP

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Follow up...

After driving the GT for a little over a month and sadly not spending near as much time in the Slingahot, I took the Slingshot out for a spin this last weekend.

Observations:

*GT is obviously faster... 0-60, 60-100, 70-120, and everywhere in between. The Slingshot can hold its own, but it runs out of legs far sooner than the GT. I've seen the top end of my Slingshot... I'm not convinced there is a top end for the GT LOL

*GT handling with the PP is amazing and refined. The Slingshot handles well but is far more "raw"

*Slingshot has a different sort of raw fun factor that can't be replicated by the GT. Adult go-cart you can take on the highway vs a refined BEAST in the GT.

You won't catch me in the Slingshot challenging any GT's to any sort of race!
Sponsored