Sponsored

18 GT - OEM resonator is gone, true 2.5" Magnaflow Tru X center, OEM rear mufflers. Vids inside!

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Suffice to say that I am pleased with this mod. The only part of the OEM exhaust that was less than 2.5" was the center section before and right after the suitcase resonator. I dont want an obnoxiously loud exhaust/etc but I do want good flow and a smooth tone. I found the OEM non-active 18+ exhaust has a bit of raspy/tinny sound to it under load, so wanted to get rid of that.

As such, I bought a Magnaflow 2.5" Tru X center muffler and had a shop cut out the entire center section from after the flex area and bends after the cats to after the suitcase itself. We welded in 2.5" pipe and the Tru X muffler, leaving the stock rear mufflers and rest of the exhaust alone. Car seems to pull a bit harder up top now, noticeable after a few spirited pulls in Mexico. To my knowledge, there are no videos on Youtube otherwise with this setup. Overall volume is comparable, tone is much better.

Voila, nice a deep tone, a touch more exotic sounding and all the tinny noises are 100% gone. Before and after vids on Youtube here:

Cold Start, OEM:

Warm Start, Above Mods completed:

Revs, OEM:

Revs, Above Mods completed:
Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
im taking mine out and putting that same one in. I have cat delete and it sounds too raspy with my active exh unless i put it on normal or quiet.

sounds nicer

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im taking mine out and putting that same one in. I have cat delete and it sounds too raspy with my active exh unless i put it on normal or quiet.

sounds nicer
Agreed, should sound way better indeed.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Ill send you a vid of a cold start lol it sounds ANGRY even on quiet mode lol

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
+1. I have a 2018 GT, Active exhaust with a MAK cat delete and magna flow tru-x resonator. I really think it makes the exhaust note perfect in every setting. I'm thinking of going LT headers but am afraid to pull the trigger because the car currently sounds perfect!

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
+1. I have a 2018 GT, Active exhaust with a MAK cat delete and magna flow tru-x resonator. I really think it makes the exhaust note perfect in every setting. I'm thinking of going LT headers but am afraid to pull the trigger because the car currently sounds perfect!
u really wont gain much, Im just gonna add a CAI (steedA), Resonator and ported manifold :)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Is this resonator lighter than OEM one ? I have active exhaust and would love to make it lighter without making it too loud or getting rid of ability of quiet start - would think this would be quieter than x-pipe ? Forgot how much much OEM one weighs...

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Is this resonator lighter than OEM one ? I have active exhaust and would love to make it lighter without making it too loud or getting rid of ability of quiet start - would think this would be quieter than x-pipe ? Forgot how much much OEM one weighs...
Not
Much lighter. But u will gain some flow :)

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely need to hear your car! Can you post a video up with cold start and revs? :)

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not
Much lighter. But u will gain some flow :)
Agreed, not much lighter but has a true siamesed X-crossover in the middle and is full 2.5" in and out. The pipe after the cats right before the OEM resonator goes from 2.5" to 2.25" or less through the resonator, then goes back to 2.5" after it. I had the shop cut off the 2.25" sections and resonator and used 2.5" pipes and the 2.5" in/out resonator to remove all flow restrictions. I can definitely tell a bit more pep in the higher RPM range. Sounds incredible too, very exotic and smooth, no more tin can noise that was even present in the OEM non-active 2018 quad tip exhaust. You can hear it in the videos I posted of the revs before and after how its gone. With these mods, even with stock mufflers, you have a true 2.5" dual exhaust from the cat outlets back and a tru-x crossover appropriately placed in the exhaust tubing. Good times and very cheap vs a full catback!

Sponsored
OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
u really wont gain much, Im just gonna add a CAI (steedA), Resonator and ported manifold :)
Dynos I have seen are extremely close between longtubes and cat deletes, I would NOT waste the money unless you want the sound and looks. You'll probably not be able to retain the OEM exhaust manifold studs that the OEM headers bolt to (I do not like bolts for headers, just preference) and wont gain much power really. The factory headers are tuned for the motor, there are articles about it on the net, here is a link: http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...ow-about-the-coyote-powerplant-return-of-5-0/

"The new firing order required a new header design to maximize scavenging and flow, so specially designed tubular exhaust headers were developed. After loads of computer modeling, a twin-T design was chosen in the 11th hour, right before the team was about to go with cast manifolds. The first set of headers was actually made by engineer Adam Christian over a weekend in his home garage."

The primary restriction is in the cats, not the headers, but longtubes may nip a bit more power due to longer tubes, scavenger spikes, etc, but not much.

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More pictures showing the pipe restrictions before and after the OEM resonator, the design of the inside of the OEM resonator (miniscule crossover) and the sections of the OEM exhaust I removed and replaced with 2.5" pipe and the Tru X. Note, the CJPP Tru X will have a 2.25" neck down on the inlet so you have to cut that off to make it fully 2.5" if you go this route. Might be cheaper just to get Magnaflow Tru X 2.5" in/out muffler and use 2.5" pipe for the rest, they are about $130 cheaper than the pre-fit CJPP one. Note also, the flex pipe on the passenger side appears to be crimped/restrictive but its not as it is actually oval'd by Ford to maintain flow, very cool. :)

OEM Resonator inlet pipes:
OEM Resonator inlet, showing neck down in diameter.jpg

OEM Resonator outlet pipes:
OEM Resonator outlet, showing pipe diameter increase after.jpg

Inside OEM resonator:
Inside OEM Resonator (note the tiny H-Crossover, barely visible).jpg

All restriction (2.25" areas) removed and ready for welding:
All restrictions removed, pre-Tru X Welding in with 2.5in pipe.jpg

T.Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 GT
Sounds really good! Thanks to this post, this is exactly what I plan on doing once I'm done shopping for my 2018 A10 GT.

Any after photos? Do you have any in-car driving videos?

Thanks for sharing.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Ill have MAK catdeletes and Steeda X pipe on mine here as soon as the X pipe shows up for my 2018 A10 also

MAK deletes + X pipe + Stock mufflers cant be beat cost wise!

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I don’t have an ‘18 GT but I do have this Magnaflow Tru X Resonated X pipe on my ‘15 GT with Pypes Street Pro Axle Back mufflers and the sound is exactly what I was looking for, a smooth, deep muscle car sound that has some volume when you hammer it but not obnoxiously loud. Very pleased with mine. It got a bit louder after some time passes and it burned in good. I still plan to add long tubes but this should allow me to keep the volume at a reasonable level.
Sponsored