andy7029

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
I'm looking to buy 2018+ Stang GT

The above specific Mustang has 4 different modes. Which one will be the best mode for drag racing? There are different opinions circulating online about this. Some claiming drag mode is better while others claiming sport+ mode.

Mustang launch control by default is set to 3000 rpm. Again some people have stated that it's better to launch at 2500 rpm. Which one is best or do you recommend?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
The cars aren't even in the same league in acceleration. The Mustang will be over a full second faster and trap 10mph more in the 1/4 mile. The Infiniti would probably need at least full exhaust (including catless DP), tune, and E85 to keep up. Drag mode is the best mode for drag racing in the Mustang, make sure you set the shifter in D and turn off advancetrac. There is no launch control on the auto, you just load the brakes up to about 1300RPM and go.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As per c&d, q60 hits 60mph in 4.5 which is same for manual stang gt.

Auto stang with all those upgrades will get you closer to maybe 4.1.

Many people posted their best time was about 4.7 seconds in stang.

Q60 is awd and no need to brake torque and just by pressing pedal to metal you'd easily hit 60 in around 4.7

I had Lexus rcf which according to c&d can hit 60 in 4.3 but my best time in dry road sunny weather was 4.9 something

I believe there's not much difference in real world between stang and RS400 unless someone can post a real drag race video between the two.

My buddy with awd q60 RS400 smoked a 2011 bmw m5 and a VW Golf R.
If you get no wheel spin, an A10 18+ GT is more like 3.8 seconds to 60, so youll win by at least 3 or 4 cars. If you do spin your tires it will be more fair.

OP
OP

andy7029

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
The cars aren't even in the same league in acceleration. The Mustang will be over a full second faster and trap 10mph more in the 1/4 mile. The Infiniti would probably need at least full exhaust (including catless DP), tune, and E85 to keep up. Drag mode is the best mode for drag racing in the Mustang, make sure you set the shifter in D and turn off advancetrac. There is no launch control on the auto, you just load the brakes up to about 1300RPM and go.
Wouldn't using brake torque every time cause problems or wear out the parts?

Have you used performance meter to test 0-60 of your mustang?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's what I've been hearing that unless you're an expert, most people would have difficulty launching stang perfectly.

You may get better with practice but you never know.

Q60 is a lot easier to launch compare with Stang for someone who has never drag raced or mostly driven Lexus (me) lol
This is very true, and it's why AWD is usually the king of 0-60. In more situations you can win against cars with higher power, but at that 60 mark they're gonna blow by you. To be fair to the Mustang, with traction control on it's very forgiving to hustle off the line, the system works very well to minimize wheel slip but then bring the power on strong once you've started moving.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Try driving the q60, my friend test drove the 2.0T in 2016 and the steering felt really numb and the throttle response was poor. Of course the version you're looking at is way better but its worth checking out the steering feedback.

I have a 6 speed auto mustang (slightly modded but less power than the 2018+ you're looking at) and majority of my stop light pulls are ~4.8s with Tc on. With the superior 10 speed and more power, itll be close but once you get going, the q60s gonna see the taillights.

However, if you're gonna lightly mod both cars, the q60 will walk the mustang given that turbos can produce a ton more power easily. Though, a high revving mustang is probably cooler if you like that kind of stuff.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Have fun with whatever you go with but the v8 sound track definitely swayed myself into getting the GT.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You might find this interesting.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...initi-q60-red-sport-400-this-saturday.109219/

I had two G37’s between 09’ & 15’. They were excellent fast cars. I test drove a Q50 and hated the electric steering. Also drove a regular Q60 recently and was not impressed. The 2nd gen steering was better but still disconnected. The 7 speed auto wasn’t anywhere as smooth as it was back in my G37’s. There is no doubt that Infiniti’s build quality is far better than Fords but once you start the Coyote you don’t care about anything else.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know which one will put hair on your chest

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As per c&d, q60 hits 60mph in 4.5 which is same for manual stang gt.

Auto stang with all those upgrades will get you closer to maybe 4.1.

Many people posted their best time was about 4.7 seconds in stang.

Q60 is awd and no need to brake torque and just by pressing pedal to metal you'd easily hit 60 in around 4.7

I had Lexus rcf which according to c&d can hit 60 in 4.3 but my best time in dry road sunny weather was 4.9 something

I believe there's not much difference in real world between stang and RS400 unless someone can post a real drag race video between the two.

My buddy with awd q60 RS400 smoked a 2011 bmw m5 and a VW Golf R.
The automatic is a lot faster than a manual. 0-60 doesn't really matter much since with fast cars most of the fun is over 60, but it's still significantly faster than the Q60. At the end of the 1/4 mile it will be bus lengths ahead of the Q60. Step on it on the highway to pass somebody and it will also be much, much faster. You should break torque on the Q60 also to get your best times.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try driving the q60, my friend test drove the 2.0T in 2016 and the steering felt really numb and the throttle response was poor. Of course the version you're looking at is way better but its worth checking out the steering feedback.

I have a 6 speed auto mustang (slightly modded but less power than the 2018+ you're looking at) and majority of my stop light pulls are ~4.8s with Tc on. With the superior 10 speed and more power, itll be close but once you get going, the q60s gonna see the taillights.

However, if you're gonna lightly mod both cars, the q60 will walk the mustang given that turbos can produce a ton more power easily. Though, a high revving mustang is probably cooler if you like that kind of stuff.
You need a turbo swap on the Q60 to run faster than very high 11s in the 1/4

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You need a turbo swap on the Q60 to run faster than very high 11s in the 1/4
OP stated he did not car about the 1/4 mile, only 0-60. Not sure why he is fixated on that, but he is certainly entitled to do so.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP stated he did not car about the 1/4 mile, only 0-60. Not sure why he is fixated on that, but he is certainly entitled to do so.
For some reason I didn't see that. Either way, my point still stands, the Mustang is significantly faster

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Great, just we need. Another Youtube video of someone wrecking their Mustang at a stoplight drag. Maybe do us all a favor and buy a Q60. :facepalm::computerrage:
I tried to simulate a stoplight drag (deserted road) with a 2k rpm footbrake (drag mode all nannies off) and I just spun the tires for about 20 feet. My 0-60 was about 30 secs. Didn't help that it was 55 degrees but still. Stick with one of those cute awd drives or equally cute C8's
Sponsored