Sponsored

'17 V6 Build - I bought a Mustang?!?!?!

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Did you get OEM and if you did could you let me know the part number?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered Raybestos Professional from Rockauto because I had store credit. Go to rockauto and just look up hoses for a 15-17 GT w/o PP

BH383864
BH383865

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The metal formed part of the flexible front brake hoses are different, since the mounting location of the different calipers is oriented a bit different. Brand new hoses are like $20 each.
I upgraded to GT brakes front and rear on my Ecoboost, didn't swap hoses, and had no problem. If they are different it didn't pose a problem for me. :shrug:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
....I take that back. The GT calipers I used all had the hoses connected to them so that's probably why I didn't have a problem - I connected to the junction line at the wheel well, not at the caliper.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
....I take that back. The GT calipers I used all had the hoses connected to them so that's probably why I didn't have a problem - I connected to the junction line at the wheel well, not at the caliper.
That makes sense. I compared the V6 line and the GT line and I THINK you could probably use the V6 line on the GT caliper, but the orientation of the metal end is different. For less than $40 new lines were a no brainer. Everything is painted and waiting on warmer than sub-artic temps for install.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Lets see your paint job.
I'll post pics once the new brakes are installed. Everything is boxed back up right now. Temp gets a bit warmer middle of the week, hope to pull it in the garage and get it done before the end of the week.

Used black G2 caliper paint on the new calipers front and rear. Used high heat brush on Rustoleum for the rotor hats and backgrounds.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the recovered OEM wheel (Redline black leather cover with black stitching and added padding) - highly recommended. While most people wouldn't recognize the difference from the recovered wheel and the factory wheel (looking at it) the difference in feel and when driving is huge - and that's what I cared about.

Also installed the OEM ported throttle body from Gigs Performance I bought on Ebay.

I know it alone won't be worth much if any power. However - I had a feeling it would definitely clean up low and part throttle application. Even with a MPT tune, I'm going to assume most changes are made to heavy and WOT timing / fueling maps. That's where you gain performance and that's absolutely fine.

But where OEM tunes with DBW (drive by wire - no physical connection to Throttle Body from throttle pedal itself) really annoy me is normal, around town driving situations.

For those who don't know - and this is just a random example - how it works is that you press the gas pedal say you physically press it down 25% of WOT. The sensor on the pedal tells the ECU that you are wanting 25% of WOT. Based on tuning maps / formulas etc, it actually gives you (remember random example) say 18% of actual WOT.

Being the TB I bought is significantly ported / smoothed out (77mm if I remember correctly) I figured this would effect low and part throttle. In other words if the computer actually opened that throttle body 18% of WOT (As explained above) while it would still open the TB 18% of WOT - the new TB is actually LARGER and 18% of WOT is actually MORE throttle (as far as the engine is concerned) than it would have been with the stock Throttle Body.

In essence that's what those "Pedal commander" (or whatever they are called) actually do. They simply plug in between the throttle pedal sensor and the ECU.

The difference is that those plug in devices do not gain ANY power at all. As I definitely intend on porting my upper and lower intakes and adding some other power mods down the road - ANY gains from the TB are a gain on the plug in type devices and the cost was comparable.

Long story not any longer?

The modified TB DEFINITELY improve part throttle driving. MUCH MUCH Smoother on part throttle take off and even on throttle blips during downshifts. Did I gain some actual power? Who cares...it did exactly what I thought it would. It improved part throttle driveability and for me that's big - since this is my daily and I DRIVE the wheels off it everyday.

Temps have climbed (and are supposed to fall again next week) so I HOPE To pull the car into the garage tomorrow morning and start the GT brake install / upgrade. I WILL post pictures of the new brakes installed.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Other than being a direct fit (I'm assuming, if it is just ported), what would you say the difference would be between the TB you bought and using a GT TB?

I was thinking about the GT TB for a bit, but didn't go forward with anything there yet.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Other than being a direct fit (I'm assuming, if it is just ported), what would you say the difference would be between the TB you bought and using a GT TB?

I was thinking about the GT TB for a bit, but didn't go forward with anything there yet.
The GT throttle body might be a bit bigger. I didn't want to deal with modifying the air intake or using an adapter etc. I like the engine looking as stock as possible - just my preference.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That is exactly what kept me from doing it before, do you have a link to where you bought yours or was it just searching for a ported 3.7 TB?

Appreciate all the info you put in your posts by the way, definitely helps to understand the changes better.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
That is exactly what kept me from doing it before, do you have a link to where you bought yours or was it just searching for a ported 3.7 TB?

Appreciate all the info you put in your posts by the way, definitely helps to understand the changes better.
This is the seller:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/gigsperformance?rt=nc

Message him and tell him you want a 3.7 Mustang throttle body. He uses brand new Ford OEM parts for his ported throttle bodies. He listed it and messaged me when he had one available.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build so far... love seeing the V6 cars make awesome gains.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build so far... love seeing the V6 cars make awesome gains.
Goal is 12 second time slips without any power adders. We shall see come Spring.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I messaged the shop that did the Throttle Body. Their facebook page is full of ported heads and LSx and even aftermarket intakes. $250 to port upper and lower if I provide parts. I'll be ordering new upper and lower intake on Monday (@ $160) and having them ported.
Sponsored