Sponsored

'17 RS3 vs '17 Stg 1 Whipple

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
As the title states, both cars are auto. RS3 on OEM Roush wheels/tires, my GT on NT05's, although in only a 255 (stock) tread width (wheel and tire upgrades later on for me).

All runs will be at the strip. Both drivers have been racing for near 20 years so not our first time out, nor first higher HP cars. Both cars on VP unleaded race fuel. Both cars running supplied tunes from Roush/Whipple.

Personally I think the RS3 will take me, simply because of more available traction, assuming the Roush car has larger wheels/tires. Although I have a better hooking tire, just not enough width to really let it eat 1st or part of 2nd.

Should be a fun race! Going to video and update with results on March 29th which is the race day.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would assume the longer the track the better for you/the Mustang. You say at the strip - not sure if that's 1/8, 1/4, etc. Hopefully you can catch him!

I hope you have a nice warm day on the 29th. I assume that would be to your advantage as well.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct RacerX, both are '17 A6 Mustangs, with one being a true Roush RS3 package.

And sorry I forgot to clarify, the race will be at an NHRA certified 1/4 mile dragstrip.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sorry - none of what I posted made much sense then! Yeah I assumed you were racing an AWD Audi with a smaller displacement motor. I have no idea about the Roush.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I would take a sticker tire over a wider tire any day..with the sizes you're talking the compound will make more of a difference..how much power is he making and what are you putting down?

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
You could use the whipple flight settings to lower power in 1st and or 2nd to get better traction. Can't say the same for the Roush tune.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sorry - none of what I posted made much sense then! Yeah I assumed you were racing an AWD Audi with a smaller displacement motor. I have no idea about the Roush.
Don't feel bad. I posted something similar last night. Then deleted it. I was so confused.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would take a sticker tire over a wider tire any day..with the sizes you're talking the compound will make more of a difference..how much power is he making and what are you putting down?
Both are entirely stock as far as the tune/kits go. I believe the Roush is 700 flywheel, and this Whipple kit (stage 1) is 750 flywheel.

SHONOFF, i'm really hoping that ability will come in useful if we run into a serious traction issue at the strip. Been so cold lately here and a lot of white stuff raining down....haven't had time to get out and play with much yet.

I'm thinking the Whipple will do work on the back side, provided I can let it eat. These NT05's worked great when it was tune-only, pretty much you could leave as hard as you could stall the car. I'm thinking perhaps maybe 50% power in 1st may still hook up leaving soft off of idle, but hard to say until I get it out there.

Thanks for the thoughts and insight! Should be a fun race for sure!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't feel bad. I posted something similar last night. Then deleted it. I was so confused.
Thanks, but it doesn't bother me too much. I realize that I make mistakes all the time and my self image doesn't require me to be perfect in any way. I used to be more of a perfectionist (or believed I had to try to be) and it wasn't good for me. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice to finally get some spring weather here! Finally getting some test time on the Whipple setup, so far the in-dash 1/4 timer is consistently hitting 124-125 mph on my car (Whipple). Getting about 118-119 trap speed on the RS3. Both cars are pretty consistently difficult to launch with, it is certainly going to be an interesting race!

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be in April when the race happens. Local track has some weather related damage to the facility, so had to postpone the first race.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well as it stands the race will most likely happen this Friday (26th). Videos and slips to come! I dyno'd 643RWHP/529TQ. The Roush is all stock right down to the tires, which are normal street rubber although in a 275 width. Given the HP difference, and my plans to use the power/gear feature of the Whipple OS, I'm hoping to be able to get the deed done. Either way, will be a fun time! Results to follow.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well just getting in, so will need time to process the video/ect, but the Whipple boost/gear feature worked flawlessly for me. I was able to run N/A 1st gear so the 255 Nitto's i'm running out back could get moving, then poured on the boost at full power 2nd gear onward. Ran into the 11's and had a decent trap. Slips and video coming soon! Just as you guys said, the Roush had potential, but even though it had 275 drag radials, it just could not put the power down effectively. Lots of potential with that car, but the spin in about every scenario was bad enough it was killing the ET. Tried manual shifting, letting traction control take over, ect.

All in all, very pleased with this setup! Very doable a 10 second car with some 305+ tires and turning on the boost in 1st.

results and video to follow shortly.