Sponsored

17 GT Manual PP...How would you mod it with $5k?

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Thanks for all the input sir. Many things here I agree with, the NewEdge will undoubtedly feel faster due to the nature of the car. As for the limits of the car, I just want more pull. I don’t take the car hard into the curves, I’m happy with the way it handles for how I drive it, however I’m sure it can be improved. Call me old school I guess.
I wonder if just swapping in some 4.09 gears would give you the feel you want?

Something I noticed with these cars is that the Coyote just doesn't have that same low-end grunt that the mod motors had. I think that's a big part of why you don't feel the "pull", and also why outside of the Mustang fandom, a lot of ppl think this car just doesn't "feel" fast. It is fast, but the power comes on a lot smoother, and you have to just carry those revs up to redline. Definitely a different nature from an old school V8, and even different from how an LS feels.

I have no doubt that a S/C or turbo will improve that low end punch. What I question is the ability to do it for $5k. Even if you look at it as the first wave of costs, by skipping over the ancilary mods that FI really needs, you are setting yourself up for redoing work as you add mods you should just do from the start, and breaking stuff that wasn't designed for the power. I honestly don't think you can do a well-designed FI for less than $8k, maybe even $10k with optional upgrades like cooling, brakes, driveshafts, chassis bracing and bushings, etc.

Someone said put that money towards a GT350... honestly not bad advice. Consider this: in a few years if you decide to get another car, a used GT350 is still a GT350, it will always hold good value. A heavily modded GT is going to be worth less than a stock one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Most of that feeling is: 1) weight and 2) refinement. If you actually look at a dyno curve, it has pretty good low end compared with most things people have had. Those cars were usually both lighter and substantially less refined/isolating, making it feel quicker. Get rid of the rubber isolation on the S550 and it feels very quick, sharp and engaging.
I totally understand that. Make good sense. My fear is this, I made those changes to all spherical bushings and such on my last car, it then rode like a wagon and was noisy as hell.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if just swapping in some 4.09 gears would give you the feel you want?

Something I noticed with these cars is that the Coyote just doesn't have that same low-end grunt that the mod motors had. I think that's a big part of why you don't feel the "pull", and also why outside of the Mustang fandom, a lot of ppl think this car just doesn't "feel" fast. It is fast, but the power comes on a lot smoother, and you have to just carry those revs up to redline. Definitely a different nature from an old school V8, and even different from how an LS feels.

I have no doubt that a S/C or turbo will improve that low end punch. What I question is the ability to do it for $5k. Even if you look at it as the first wave of costs, by skipping over the ancilary mods that FI really needs, you are setting yourself up for redoing work as you add mods you should just do from the start, and breaking stuff that wasn't designed for the power. I honestly don't think you can do a well-designed FI for less than $8k, maybe even $10k with optional upgrades like cooling, brakes, driveshafts, chassis bracing and bushings, etc.

Someone said put that money towards a GT350... honestly not bad advice. Consider this: in a few years if you decide to get another car, a used GT350 is still a GT350, it will always hold good value. A heavily modded GT is going to be worth less than a stock one.
Yeah I don’t think the gears are gonna get me what I want. I guess I’m wanting my cake and eat it too. Lol. Sub 12 second ETs, enough power to really pin me in the seat with daily driver manners, and not ride like a wagon.

This is a serious question...you mean to tell me that you can’t just slap a power adder on there with a lower level tune and run it on stock trim otherwise? I thought that was the whole appeal of these cars and the FI setups? I get to make big power you need fuel systems, half shafts, etc. If the answer to that question is No, then that pretty much resolved the debate in my mind. Again, I thought all those supercharger kits where designed to make 550-600whp out of the box with no supporting mods...

I’d love to have a GT350, but they are 55k+, I could spend 12k on my car and still be under 40k all in. As you said though, that money spent on a GT isn’t recoverable, been there.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, those types of things aren't necessary or always recommended. Fortunately with the Mustang's aftermarket, there are solutions where you can pretty much have your cake and eat it too.
Would you do me the favor of linking to a kit or two that you think would fit my needs? You seem to know a lot about the suspension on these cars.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Yeah I don’t think the gears are gonna get me what I want. I guess I’m wanting my cake and eat it too. Lol. Sub 12 second ETs, enough power to really pin me in the seat with daily driver manners, and not ride like a wagon.

This is a serious question...you mean to tell me that you can’t just slap a power adder on there with a lower level tune and run it on stock trim otherwise? I thought that was the whole appeal of these cars and the FI setups? I get to make big power you need fuel systems, half shafts, etc. If the answer to that question is No, then that pretty much resolved the debate in my mind. Again, I thought all those supercharger kits where designed to make 550-600whp out of the box with no supporting mods...

I’d love to have a GT350, but they are 55k+, I could spend 12k on my car and still be under 40k all in. As you said though, that money spent on a GT isn’t recoverable, been there.
I guess that's true... if you just want to go with a basic FI setup, you should be able to just go with like a Ford Racing kit and technically not have to mod anything else. But those are still $7k or so.

I dont have one, so I dont know if there are any long term concerns with broken parts, as long as you keep the lower power tune I would think it would be fine. Its a stout car.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
On pump gas with a mild tune, aka big pulley and very conservative, the only things you really need are some kind of cradle lockout to help with wheelhop and eventually a clutch. Outside of that it would be fine, sure you can definitely improve on a lot but I don't think anything else is a must have, assuming all the OEM stuff is in good condition.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On pump gas with a mild tune, aka big pulley and very conservative, the only things you really need are some kind of cradle lockout to help with wheelhop and eventually a clutch. Outside of that it would be fine, sure you can definitely improve on a lot but I don't think anything else is a must have, assuming all the OEM stuff is in good condition.
Thanks for the tips!

Sooo folks say that a man can find used Supercharger kits on Facebook. Anyone know the best groups to look up? Not seeing any listed on here or SVTP.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips!

Sooo folks say that a man can find used Supercharger kits on Facebook. Anyone know the best groups to look up? Not seeing any listed on here or SVTP.
There was an Edelbrock 2650 kit listed last night on the Facebook Coyote 11+ group. 3500 and located in KY. Think it only needed fuel system (injectors and BAP) and tune. That would easily fall in your budget.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There was an Edelbrock 2650 kit listed last night on the Facebook Coyote 11+ group. 3500 and located in KY. Think it only needed fuel system (injectors and BAP) and tune. That would easily fall in your budget.
Sweet! I’ll look! Although I’ve heard some bad things about the Edelbrock kit? Perhaps that was just their tuning?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Sweet! I’ll look! Although I’ve heard some bad things about the Edelbrock kit? Perhaps that was just their tuning?
Custom tune is a different story. It's just the warrantied kit with their tune.

Sponsored
OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this the right one? I requested membership.
upload_2020-7-28_17-40-8.png

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Custom tune is a different story. It's just the warrantied kit with their tune.
Awesome thanks! I assume the blowers are good blowers? Eaton baseline?

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I joined the group, can’t find this particular kit. Perhaps it sold. I’ll monitor.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I joined the group, can’t find this particular kit. Perhaps it sold. I’ll monitor.
Nevermind, apparently I joined the wrong the group, I see it now. Seems a little fishy. Who buys a kit, installs it, and then removes it immediately without putting any miles on it? If I felt comfortable here I’d be all over it. Only 3 hours from me.

Says injectors aren’t included. Any thoughts as to which size/type that would be needed? Trying get total costs calculated. Also, doesn’t mention a BAP, is that something that is needed for even lower boost levels?

24839D31-8D30-406A-8985-5E763D00DA72.png

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Nevermind, apparently I joined the wrong the group, I see it now. Seems a little fishy. Who buys a kit, installs it, and then removes it immediately without putting any miles on it? If I felt comfortable here I’d be all over it. Only 3 hours from me.

Says injectors aren’t included. Any thoughts as to which size/type that would be needed? Trying get total costs calculated. Also, doesn’t mention a BAP, is that something that is needed for even lower boost levels?

24839D31-8D30-406A-8985-5E763D00DA72.png
Story is kinda odd. For a base setup would still say id1050s and jms plug n play bap.

Is this the stage 1 kit? Not seeing intake or anything from stage 2.
Sponsored