17 gen 5 whipple belt install help!!!

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I’m either weak af or this belt is damn near impossible to install. I have got it on once. But it wasn’t sitting on all the threads on the balancer. Also the tensioner was set at 95 instead of 100 like the manual recommends. I have the idler all the way down.

am I doing something wrong here ?!??! Any recommendations would help. I broke my first belt and whipple was kind enough to send another one. I don’t want to break another belt.
130D51C1-A5EF-4B28-B412-A66688170DC9.jpeg
Sponsored

Brandon91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I had a Whipple on my Camaro and I had to rotate the balancer while someone else had the tensioner and was pushing the belt onto the pulley on the Whipple.

I also had to do the same thing with my Procharger two weeks ago when we installed it.

Hopefully this helps.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Definitely need a second set of hands and you’ll get it. I found sliding the belt onto the adjustable idler last while a buddy held the tensioner loose seemed to work.

I’m also stuck at 95 on the tensioner. Thinking the adjustable idler needed to be snugged up (it was all the way down), I had a friend loosen the tensioner and I slid the adjustable idler up just a bit. But then it got worse...was at 90. It was almost like the belt was too tight and the tensioner was being pushed upward. Put the adjustable idler all the way down again, back to 95.

Gave up at that point and just left it. It’s been fine. Maybe someone else will chime in with some advice, because I’m curious about the belt tension process.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Are you using the 1/2" wrench insert on the tensioner? I find it very easy to get my belt on and off. Unless I'm confused on what you are struggling with, I use my big torque wrench with a short extension to open up the tensioner while I slide the belt on with the other hand. Mine is a little different because I have the Gen 2 but I always put the belt on the tensioner pulley last when I pull it open with the torque wrench.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Yes. I used my 1/2 breaker bar to pull the tensioner all the way back. After watching the very few YouTube videos on this. I’m starting to realize whipple might of changed the belts/tensioner. Older whipples look like you can do it solo pretty easily. But these recent ones are extremely tight. To the point where I eve you get it on. The tensioner doesn’t even reach the 100 mark.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you have the belt on all the pulleys even just a little you can start the car and then push the belt in the direction it needs to go. Just don’t use anything that will hurt the belt

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I Always make sure the belt is on all of the ribbed pulleys first. Its way easier to get it to slide over one last smooth pulley. So dont try and do the blower pulley last, that will make it really hard. On my gen 3 I slide it onto one of the smooth idlers in the middle last.

OP
OP

Zayzay09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zabriel
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
soooo this is embarrassing. But I learned I had some pulleys backwards on my install. Once I got that fixed. I was able to install my belt pretty easily. With no help at that !

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
soooo this is embarrassing. But I learned I had some pulleys backwards on my install. Once I got that fixed. I was able to install my belt pretty easily. With no help at that !
Doh! Thanks for posting the follow up!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Don’t sweat it. It happens to the best of us. It’s like walking through the house going wtf are my keys, and your holding them the whole time. Lol

Sponsored