16 to 18 Mustang Sync 3.0 to 3.4?

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I've been having the TWO USBs ready for months just nervous about doing it.

Finally did it on my 2015 this past weekend. Already did the Sync 3 swap and was on 3.0.

The only issue I had was it gave me a red error screen with the first USB. It freaked me out, so I un-hooked the battery hoping I didn't mess anything help.
Hooked it back up and the screens flashed with the ford logo, pony, older Mustang etc and remembered that's what it does when it's ready for USB 2.

Put in USB 2 and it was reading it and installed. Took about 25 min.
Guy on the F-150 forum said, I got that red screen because Sync was looking for the files on USB 2.

Works fine, although to me it seems to load slower on initial start up..

Now time to do my wife's MKZ and moms Explorer. Both with Sync 3 swaps too.
Sponsored

Cuongpn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey guys I have successfully updated to 3.4
But will I get into any trouble when servicing at Ford? Since this is basically piracy

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hey guys I have successfully updated to 3.4
But will I get into any trouble when servicing at Ford? Since this is basically piracy
I find it interesting that you did the update and then considered the consequences. So long as your not bringing it into Ford with a Sync issue you will be fine. If you have a Sync related issue and your car is still under warranty you most likely will have an issue. Now depending on the issue even out of warranty could be a problem since you have modified your system that Ford does not officially recognize.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I find it interesting that you did the update and then considered the consequences. So long as your not bringing it into Ford with a Sync issue you will be fine. If you have a Sync related issue and your car is still under warranty you most likely will have an issue. Now depending on the issue even out of warranty could be a problem since you have modified your system that Ford does not officially recognize.
He can just go back to 3.0 19205, and Ford would not have a clue

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
He can just go back to 3.0 19205, and Ford would not have a clue
Not sure if that is possible. Has anyone tried it? The update/backdate will still look for the current hardware and software. When it sees 3.4 it may fail. Also since the APIM has been modified that could also cause the backdate and possibly future updates to fail. We just do not know yet.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome. Looks like many updated their 16' with nav (stock apim) from 3.0 to 3.4 with these instructions. I am definitely doing it. When I update to the official 19205, the lag and response time id horrendous, basically unusable.
If your having those issues with 19205 you might want to reconsider. Many are using 19205 with no issues whatsoever. I use it in my wife's Escape. Works perfectly. If yours isn't there could be a problem.

Cuongpn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I did the update because of the new look, theme and such, not so much about the feature. I’m quite happy with Sync3 3.0, since I mostly use Carplay. But after the update, read the comments, I realized that it came with the new map update, and it was illegal to do so. So if there’s no problem with Ford (like the digital cluster retrofit) I with stick with it due to the new look, but if it comes with troubles, I will downgrade

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I did the update because of the new look, theme and such, not so much about the feature. I’m quite happy with Sync3 3.0, since I mostly use Carplay. But after the update, read the comments, I realized that it came with the new map update, and it was illegal to do so. So if there’s no problem with Ford (like the digital cluster retrofit) I with stick with it due to the new look, but if it comes with troubles, I will downgrade
Listen you did what you did and you like it. Nothing wrong with that. There is a very, very slim chance there anything will ever happen. Just make sure to check back to with cyanlabs before you do any further updating. Do not use an official Ford update because your APIM is not designed for 3.4. And that will cause a problem.

cyanlabs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fma965
Vehicle(s)
focus st
Thanks guys, just wanted to say if you have any questions feel free to message me, i may reply on here but i'm more likely to reply on the website

I've just updated the guide with many other regions :)

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Has anyone completely bricked their Sync 3 by doing this? It seems pretty straight forward, I have the files, just wondering if anyone ran into any issues.

ssj92

Photon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Excellent! Looking forward to hearing if it works - if it doesn't, I suppose that may mean it's only for the digital cluster, but don't non-digital dashes get nav info? (from the OEM nav system).
Sorry for the late response.

I can confirm none of the nav options (Factory Nav/Android Auto/Carplay (13.3 & 14.3 Beta 1) show the directions in the older analog style cluster.

So it seems digital cluster will be needed. I've been meaning to get one but the price is still a bit high for me.

Also wanna see if 2021 cluster changes in anyway.

So far new 3.4 software has been running great for me. Tried the maps and they also work fine. Voice commands work as well.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Has anyone completely bricked their Sync 3 by doing this? It seems pretty straight forward, I have the files, just wondering if anyone ran into any issues.
You can check that long F-150 thread but I don't think so.. You might get errors and could be a wrong file name or extension. If you go back on the usb drive, fix it and try again. It will be fine.

I think one guy on there had to try like 4 times until his would install.

I did my wifes last weekend and everything went fine. So two for two. Next is my moms when I see them in April.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Sorry for the late response.

I can confirm none of the nav options (Factory Nav/Android Auto/Carplay (13.3 & 14.3 Beta 1) show the directions in the older analog style cluster.

So it seems digital cluster will be needed. I've been meaning to get one but the price is still a bit high for me.

Also wanna see if 2021 cluster changes in anyway.

So far new 3.4 software has been running great for me. Tried the maps and they also work fine. Voice commands work as well.
That's the next big mod is the digital cluster but $2000 is waaaay too much. Rather put that towards a supercharger.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Oh but the Digital Dash is one of my favorite things about my car now.
Sponsored